Full loop around Ireland (and N. Ireland)

• HTML tutorial

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
We rented. I know. But my wife and I took two weeks and drove around the entire island. We landed in Dublin, and our typical routine was a day nearby our stop (this trip in particular was BnBs, wife got a total kick out of staying in old castles), a day exploring a little further within a drivable distance, and a day of travelling to the next stop but also adding in any cool attractions along the way. We left Dublin counterclockwise and stopped in Belfast, Ballintoy, Glenveagh, Donegal, Sligo, Galway, Doolin, Limerick, Dingle, Killarney, Castletown-Bear, York, Tipperary, and back into Dublin.

We completed nearly all of the Altantic Way Scenic Road, saw the Cliffs of Moher, the Fairy Bridges, we did the Game of Thrones tours, the Titanic museum (the good one, in Cobh, not Belfast), and we drank on the top floor of Guinness. We walked through multiple National Parks and countless waterfalls. It was an amazing experience and I suggest it to all. Oh, and best food I've ever had in my life. TOP TIP! Eat at local rundown looking dive bars, not the touristy restaurants.

0405221255_HDR.jpg
0405221738.jpg
0406221031_HDR.jpg
0406221538_HDR.jpg
0407221048a_HDR.jpg
0407221802_HDR.jpg
0414221706c_HDR.jpg

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
My wife and I will be doing the same trip in may. Her parents are in the south so we will start and end there. Any recommendations?
- Personal preference of course, but we actually regret our time in the major cities (Dublin, Galway, and Belfast). They are great to visit for a couple hours, but not overnight or for multiple days.
- It's going to rain, no way around that - just power through and don't skip out on anything just because of weather, we even ate outside at an overcrowded cafe in rain and I just held an umbrella for my wife to eat under and no complaints at all.
- If you liked GoT, the tours are worth it. The sites they take you are amazing, the staff knows a lot about the show and filming. Some of the sites were also used in "Vikings" and "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", just ask at the beginning and they will include the info as you get to them.
- You will be hiking a ton, stretch your glutes. LOL.
- I would add, don't take a tour tour, with pre planned meal stops etc. It's a waste of money and the places they take you to eat are just because they get a good deal, not because it's a nice spot to eat.

Please ask anything specific, happy to chat.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Nice writeup. Thanks for sharing. Ireland is a great destination for overlanders. It's been a while since I have been there but enjoyed it really. Great landscape, a lot to see, awesome people.