Fuel Storage long term?

• Thread starter Deleted member 82267
  • Start date
  • HTML tutorial
I keep my jerry cans full and then use the fuel about a once a month to keep it fresh. However this is a pain. I use Sta-bil for my chainsaw fuel but but have not tried it with my gas. Has anyone stored fuel over 6 months with a additive with out any issues? I keep my cans full due to living in earthquake country and may need my vehicle or to run my generator when things get to shaking.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I have a Lawn Boy mower . I never drain the fuel, and I most always have gasoline in a container over the winter. My chainsaw doesn’t get used much, so I’ll mix up a gallon of fuel maybe once a year. The Landcruiser sits in the carriage house with the same tank of fuel all through the winter and fires up with a touch of the key every time.
The lawnboy and the Stihl fire up every spring without fail. I have the same opinion about fuel stabilizers as I do about fuel additives. I don’t use either.

Reactions: Arailt

dchurch

Rank III

Advocate I

Oregon, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Church
We store a full container of non-eth with Sta-bil for our whole house generator. Two years is the recommended shelf life. We use the fuel in our saws and mower... if the power doesn't go out. We tend to use our RotoPax gas sooner than that.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I have a generator, snowblower, lawnmower, and have had PWCs and boats that sit for 6-9 months at a time. I use Sta-Bil in the fuel and run the engines afterward to ensure it runs through the fuel system. Never had any issues and the gas in the generator is probably a few years old at this point. It still fires right up.

I have a Lawn Boy mower . I never drain the fuel, and I most always have gasoline in a container over the winter. My chainsaw doesn’t get used much, so I’ll mix up a gallon of fuel maybe once a year. The Landcruiser sits in the carriage house with the same tank of fuel all through the winter and fires up with a touch of the key every time.
The lawnboy and the Stihl fire up every spring without fail. I have the same opinion about fuel stabilizers as I do about fuel additives. I don’t use either.
That would be nice but California crap gas turns to varnish in 6 months.