• Total voters

Funmobile

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yuba City
Member #

Hello,
I am planning to add a refrigerator to my vehicle this summer. I will most likely go with something in the 50 quart size and am torn between brands. Dometic, ARB, Engel and Whynter appear to offer solid products. Like everyone, I am looking for the best bang for the buck and a reasonable balance between price and quality.

The vehicle fridge will powered by a Yeti 400 with a second AGM battery daisy chained to it. Input to the Yeti will be provided by both a 12 plug and optional 30 watt panel.

Thanks much for you advice and experiences.

Reactions: Boort and Txcoast

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

A single 30 watt panel will not run an ARB 50qt. set to moderate fridge temps. The balance point I found in my rig was around 60w min from a highly efficient panel, with a very efficient mppt controller. I ended up settling on an 80w panel paired with a Victron 75/10 charge controller.

What are your intentions/requirements for the fridge? Permanent install, or only once a month on a weekend trip where it has to last the weekend?

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
ARB - reputation, features Dual AC/DC operation, Wireless controller, Battery cutoffs, accessories (sliders, covers).

I run mine off a Yeti 400 Lithium when mobile, AC when docked.

Funmobile

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yuba City
Member #

I have a second battery daisy chained to the Yeti, to nearly double the capacity. As for the solar, I also have an additional 30w panel which daisy chains with the permanent panel.

The Yeti is only being used to power the fridge for single nights on multi day road trip adventures, with each night being at a different location.

The 30 watt permanent panel (Boulder) is set up so I can input directly to the Yeti, or switch the input to the engine batteries (through the a charge controller)

The Yeti and it daisy chained companion ( call it a Yeti 800) will power the fridge. The solar 30w and potentially 60w ( call it 45 with parasitic loss) under extremely ideal conditions, is only to feed the system a bit, when the vehicle is not running.

Last edited:

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I’d be interested to know which brands you can buy service parts for. Dometic is a major brand in the RV industry, and service parts are available.

James
Well I can't speak for all, but my ARB fridge uses a Danfross BD35F compressor, as do many other models/brands. They are reliable, draw low current, and common enough to be readily available should they ever fail. I believe Engel and Dometic make their own dependant on model of fridge which could be a plus or a minus depending on where/how/when it fails. I had an engel in my last rig which ran for over a decade without a hiccup, my arb is in it's 3rd year now with the same reliability though since both are single units my experience is anecdotal at best.

ARB fridges were manufactured by dometic to ARB's specs, so I imagine many of the dometic models will be similar in design.

Last edited:

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I'm still thinking most economical is top cooler brands like Yeti or Orca or MILEE (bunch brands). It does keep cold (icy cold for three days no problem.) US is place where convenient store in the reach. Well it might need it if driving thru South America, and it's unknown about ice. Any fridge needs run on separate battery than your car. Now days cars is sophisticated computer, so draining your battery is bad idea, as your electronics never go to "sleep" mode. Every electronic components has cycle life, meaning how long it stay on !

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I got me a Primetech fridge, it's really looking like dometic and works perfectly.
It was relatively cheap and has the size I wanted.
To me cheap is OK because where I go, my life is not depending on the fridge.

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

I own an ARB. It’s been great. I’ve had it a lot of rough places in the back of the jeep. Including hard rock crawling. If it was me I’d look at an ARB and Engel. This would be my only two options if I ever have to buy another one.

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
Well I can't speak for all, but my ARB fridge uses a Danfross BD35F compressor, as do many other models/brands.
Yup, all the major compressor refers use the same Danfoss. It comes down to warranty, size, and price more than ability to do the job. The Vanagon forum over on the samba has several really good threads on refer comparisons, installs, testing (cooling times vs voltage drop vs outside temp, etc), mounted vs portable, etc. the T2.5-3 guys take their camping gear pretty seriously and since hey all have the same basic platform, they get into the specifics of the units since how to fit them in is acedemic for the most part. Some good threads on house batteries, charge controllers, isolators, and solar systems. Here’s some links in the FAQs over there, a lot is kinda VW-specific but also some solid general discussions.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6236058#6236058

Based off several years of reading over there, when the snow melts (at this rate sometime in August...), I’m considering putting a TF49 in my Bay.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

ya, to echo some of what Sneaks said. I think the main things to choose a fridge on are size, how it fits where you have space.. and the lid/latch, which is personal preference.

Seems a bit silly to worry too much about all the other more nuanced details when the first job is getting something that fits well and allows you to access it how you want.

An ARB 50qt just happened to be the largest size that would fit in the middle of my second row of seats with that middle seat taken out. I like how easy the lid is to work, one handed, the kids can operated it easily and the lid pops off all together very easily. I like the look of some of the others, but fit is fit.

Reactions: Sneaks

Len Anderson

Rank 0

Contributor I

Victoria, BC, Canada
First Name
Len
Last Name
Anderson
Hello, new to OB. Just installed a tf49 into ‘Hanna’, an 85 Westy with the help of Samba postings on the subject. Key points were to loosen off the dampening washers on the compressor and detach the condenser hold down screws and replace with a small firm foam cushion. Also I surrounded the cabinet with audio sound proofing material (not cheap)with the added bonus of insulating the unit but leaving a channel from bottom to top for ventilation. First reaction, pretty quiet.. Going to exchange the fan to a far more efficient, quiet one that uses less than 1/2 of the power of the stock fan. Next project is a 100 watt polychristaline solar panel on the roof. I do not have pics yet on this device. I can send some later if you wish.
Len

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I read the 30 watt was input to the Yeti along with 12V, though I agree 30 watt is low to recharge a Y400.
Might as well buy the 100w solar, it's just as cheap as the lesser ones and you will know you have enough

Tim Barrett

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
TIM
Last Name
BARRETT
Member #

I just bought a Snomaster Expedition Series based on some online reserch, YouTube review comparisons. It wasn't even on my list before that. I was thinking Dometic.

I'll be using the Snomaster this weekend for the first time with a Goal Zero 1000. My solar panel is on back order so hoping to get three days out of it. Hoping I don't need to run the car engine to recharge it over the weekend. I will probably know if I made the right decision next week.

I liked it because its dual zone fridge /freezer in the larger sizes (Big family), stainless steel instead of plastic seemed like it will last longer (I live in the desert, the heat destroys plastic), used a bit less power over a 24 hour period in the reviews (2-5 amp draw).

• Love
Reactions: Desert Runner

NorCalJoe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern California, CA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Kemp
Member #

I personally went with the ARB Elements fridge. My biggest deciding factor was to be able to leave it in the back of my truck year round and be able to use it at work and it was the only weather resistant one that I found. Also found I need 2 100w panels to keep up with the draw of leaving it on all night and recharging my Apex “generator” during the day.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have owned an ARB 37, Indel 51 (Truckfridge), and a Dometic CFX-75DZ. The only one that has failed was the Dometic. It happened early on. I had no issue with my warranty claim and received a new fridge from a local service center.

One KEY point to any of these is how efficiently do they run? How much amp draw. There are some cheaper fridges out there but they also pull a lot of power. If you have a larger amp hour battery and a 100 watt or better solar panel you may be fine. You may also find that your battery doesn't last as long. No I am not an electrical engineer. The cost savings of the fridge may be spent in the cost of a new battery prematurely. Just food for thought. Costway is cranking out a lot of products lately. Hopefully they last.

The brands I am most comfortable with, in no particular order, are:
Dometic
ARB
SnoMaster
Indel/Truckfridge

Everyones experience may be different. I know folks that have run an Indel 24/7 and ARB 24/7 without issue in their vehicles.