Member III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1PHT
Does anyone have any experience in the Fsr rtt? I am looking at the high country 63 premium.

The other tent is the tuff stuff alpha and I have seen some people here talk about how they liked it.

Tremor

Rank II

Member I

Masschusetts
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Horgan
Member #

Does anyone have any experience in the Fsr rtt? I am looking at the high country 63 premium.

The other tent is the tuff stuff alpha and I have seen some people here talk about how they liked it.
We are looking at the same High Country tent, We have not place the order yet, ust waiting ti the right time to out lay the money.

Ramman

Rank III

Member III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1PHT

I am on the fence a good friend of mine has one but he only camps maybe 2 times a year.

Me and my family will be camping almost weekly plus overland trips. So I’m not sure if hard cover tuff stuff or this FSR is my best option

We are looking at the same High Country tent, We have not place the order yet, ust waiting ti the right time to out lay the money.

Tremor

Rank II

Member I

Masschusetts
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Horgan
Member #

I checked out a bunch if youtube reviews, all seems good, A few said they were expensive but worth the price.t

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I've camped beside a few Free Spirit RTTs and they seem like a Cadillac in the RTT industry. Love the fact they can be moved around fully setup.

DSC_0063.jpeg

Reactions: Tremor

COLDCUT

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Temecula, CA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Oldham
Member #

I own the High Country 55” version and love it. From a comfort aspect, the wife and I both sleep in there with total comfort. It’s plenty large enough, the tent stays warm (we have the tri-layer edition), and it is very well made. We do use an additional, small blow-up mattress, to enhance the existing mattress. Set up is very quick and easy. Tear down is also pretty easy (for a soft top). The cover that comes with the tent is sturdy, well made, and stays put without the hassle of zippers. After trekking around with the tent for the last year or so, I could see myself entertaining a hard-top version, just because putting away the tent each morning would be easier. As far as weight goes, it’s about on par with other premium, soft and hard top editions. Mounting it atop my lifted Jeep Wrangler is definitely a chore but I manage it by myself with a little ingenuity. Overall, I definitely recommend FSR. I don’t think you will be unhappy with their product quality!

Ramman

Rank III

Member III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1PHT
I own the High Country 55” version and love it. From a comfort aspect, the wife and I both sleep in there with total comfort. It’s plenty large enough, the tent stays warm (we have the tri-layer edition), and it is very well made. We do use an additional, small blow-up mattress, to enhance the existing mattress. Set up is very quick and easy. Tear down is also pretty easy (for a soft top). The cover that comes with the tent is sturdy, well made, and stays put without the hassle of zippers. After trekking around with the tent for the last year or so, I could see myself entertaining a hard-top version, just because putting away the tent each morning would be easier. As far as weight goes, it’s about on par with other premium, soft and hard top editions. Mounting it atop my lifted Jeep Wrangler is definitely a chore but I manage it by myself with a little ingenuity. Overall, I definitely recommend FSR. I don’t think you will be unhappy with their product quality!
Do you use blankets or sleeping bags? And are you able to leave them in the tent or do you have to take them out?

COLDCUT

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Temecula, CA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Oldham
Member #

We use mainly a two-person sleeping bag. When we are in really cold temps (below freezing) we usually drape an extra blanket over the top of the bag. Up to now I have always removed the sleeping bag and blankets when closing up the tent. The air mattress deflates and lies nearly flat so it stays in there. I would imagine you could keep a light sleeping bag or blanket in there but anything large or bulky would probably cause the tent to have difficulty folding sown all the way.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

We have the High country 55. Love it. We removed the upper mattress and put an exped duo in its place. I highly recommend doing that as the upper mattress is not very good. Also, you can leave both the sleeping bag and air mattress in it when closed without the mattress. The ease of setup is fantastic. We have probably close to 100 nights in ours and have yet to find an issue. We were looking at a Tepui, but found this one local for sale and was very impressed with it so we bought it. My brother has the Tuff Stuff tent and is happpy with it but the set up takes a bit longer and is heavier as well.

DrewKD

Rank V

Influencer II

Pasadena CA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Dancel
Member #

I have the High Country 55" in their Tri-Layer or now it's called "premium." The tent is really high quality. The frame is solid around making the whole thing very sturdy in strong winds. The Tri-Layer fabric is quiet too so no flapping noise. It holds up great in the rain and snow. When it's hot I leave the huge windows open for plenty of ventilation. My wife and I pulled out the mattress that it comes with and instead we use an Exped MegaMat Duo. It's very comfortable. We've slept peaceful in low 20's all the way through 112*.

There is no solid floor panel like all other tents. It uses a combination of beams and a thick hard foam as the base. I believe that this is done to solve the condensation issues that all tents suffer from. Problem solved. No build up with this tent. Overall it's a pretty amazing tent. Though, if I were to do it again I think I would go with one of their hardshells for easier deployment.

Last edited:

PeterPaul

Rank II

Enthusiast I

San Diego
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Storniolo
Member #

We bought the Adventure series 55" tri-layer. We decided to buy a trailer that has a James Baroud on it. So we're selling the FSR. I did a lot of research when I made the purchase and I'm torn over the decision to sell but it makes financial sense. We never got the chance to use it. I ordered it then had to wait 18 months for our Gobi rack!

Freespirit Recreation RTT and Annex: Brand new never used and ready to be picked up! Selling for the price we paid when we bought it.
It is now selling on the FSR website for $2445.00. The annex is selling for $445.00 on their website.

Adventure Series Manual 55" Roof Top Tent -Tri-Layer - Black Body/Black Fly/Grey Interior: Asking $1895.00
ADVENTURE GS 55" PREMIUM

Adventure Series Universal Large Annex -Large/SUV Height/Grey: Asking $395.00
ADVENTURE SERIES ANNEX

Pick-up in San Diego.

Ramman

Rank III

Member III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1PHT
Thank you all for your insight I’m thinking it will be a go. Now to decide 63 or 80 haha I am thinking of 63 the boys are very little and it would fit nicely on the truck.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Thank you all for your insight I’m thinking it will be a go. Now to decide 63 or 80 haha I am thinking of 63 the boys are very little and it would fit nicely on the truck.
We have the 55 and it will fit 2 adults and a very small dog. If you plan on having multiple kids in it, I would go with the 80