Founding Principles: Name your favorite!

• HTML tutorial

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
My favorite Overland Bound principle is “Leave it better than you found it.” This principle states that “it is imperative that we all take ownership of our lands” and work to “counteract any damage that is done.”

As a Christian, I find this principle to be in alignment with the dominion mandate that God gave mankind in the book of Genesis, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth” (Gen 1:28, ESV). God created a good Earth and has given mankind the responsibility to steward–not trash–creation.

This leads me to my second favorite principle, “A connection with nature is paramount.” I agree that one of the best ways to maintain perspective is a connect with the great outdoors. Exploring nature allows me to slow down and connect with God and share His creation with my children.

Reactions: rgallant and pl626

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@grubworm I don't think that's a founding principle, but ha!

@TRT87 Favorite founding principle for me would be

#9. Be prepared, and understand basic requirements.

Many people don't have the preparedness to even drive on the road safely (no understanding of physics, distracted driving, ignorance of surroundings, missing spare tire/jack, don't keep up on maintenance) and the number of people who venture off the road unequipped is frightful.

As a Christian myself, I tend to feel the same about keeping our environment clean. I am wary of handling others' litterings, though; taking garbage to dumps outside your home county is a crime in some states. There is much illegal dumping on all of my regular trails, but I am disinclined to risk the legal issues I would face for disposing of all the burned boats and machine parts (why are you disposing of this boat that is registered to Petey Bob, does he know it's gone, why has it been burned, etc.). Be aware that other people's trash could contain fecal matter, blood, saliva or other body fluids, illegal substances, and of course infectious diseases.

I commend the ones who remove illegally dumped and littered trash, and I proudly salute the garbage men when I see them. They do as much as the military does to keep this nation safe and happy.

Ridge Reaper

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Dean
Last Name
Plaganis
Member #

Service Branch
Former LEO
Adventure is Necessary.

Looking to see what's around the next bend, finding something new and beautiful is what defines us. Going just a little further because your prepared for it is why we do what we do.

Chris Starling

Rank V

Contributor III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Starling
Member #

Definitely “Leave it better than you found it”. I’ve been in so many spots where I’ve had to pick up others trash before I could set up. Nothing gives a group a worse image than their trash lying all around. We are stewards of the land and have to take care of it, or we’ll lose it. I’ve also seen several trails in my area being destroyed by side by sides ripping around the corners and blasting up hills, or just making their own trails.

paul87250

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

Folles, Haute-Vienne, France
First Name
paul
Last Name
Newbold
Member #

One more vote for "leave it better than you found it" we regularly pick up trash/rubbish left by others also beach clean up when we are fishing. We do take the precaution of wearing latex/vinyl gloves for our protection unfortunately you can never be too careful.