Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6QBJ
Mendocino county website says the Fort Bragg Sherwood road was closed November 15 2020. Is there a work around on this?

I ask, as I am just getting started and went to Usal Beach last week and fell in love. I just spent 3 days at the beach - it is good to be retired. I also need some time just playing with all the gear. I had thought I could head north to Four Corners etc, but Usal Road north of Usal beach was gated and closed, same as Fort Bragg Sherwood. However - I also hiked from Usal beach to Timber point and came back on the Timber Haul Road that becomes the Hotel Gulch Road and that was clearly seeing some traffic. I wondered if that allowed a work around the closed Usal Road? I am completely new to this, and was alone, and I walked passed a washed out culvert with a bypass in the creek that was kinda tight - I would not be game to even try on my own at this point though I am sure my lifted 4Runner is 100% capable. My driving skills are still very untested, as are my recovery skills.

I will be at Van Damme State Park with a friend next week to do some day hikes, and I thought that Fort Bragg Sherwood Road might be an interesting way to head home to the Bay Area. Gaia maps shows a number of other road sections that might be alternatives. I also do not need to do damage to trails. I assume some people actually live there, and need the road to get home.

I do have a group trip booked to the Lost Coast in May, so I hope to have another go at Usal Road area with some experienced company.

etsuno

Rank 0

Contributor I

Alameda, CA
First Name
Eton
Last Name
Tsuno
Hi,

I don't know the answer to any of your questions, but I am just starting too and was going to take my family to Usal this weekend. Were there many people there? Thanks in advance!

Clayton Ball

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Clayton
Last Name
Ball
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EMO
The Mendocino 4X4 club has a trip planned for May 8, 2020. Might try contacting the Mendocino 4x4 club, the link I wanted to post for the FaceBook page does not work here.

2G4R

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Oakland, CA, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUC
Its the opposite way, but if you ever get extra time may i suggest going north, from usal up thru King Range. Nothing too difficult, really cool drive with lots of hidden treasures. You can make it to fortuna, then on the way back hit mendocino NF.
Also, if you love waffles like me- about 30min south on the 1, town of elk- check out queenies

SWLands

Rank IV
Investor

Pathfinder III

Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6QBJ
Etsuno - I just got back from camping on the Mendocino coast. I expect you found a space at Usal, as I screwed up my camp bookings and it still worked out.

I am booked to explore the Lost Coast with Overland Trail Guides in May. I am new to off road so that should be a good trip.

For this last trip I just did a lot of day hikes, and the weather was really perfect. Had a great time.