Ford Maverick and the small overlanding pickup truck

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I should also make a note in regards to gas mileage my bronco sport got 26 miles per gallon empty and after the water pump went out at less than 2000 miles it never got over 24 miles per gallon so I would advise you to look at owner reviews on fuel mileage for the Maverick before making a purchase based on fuel economy.
Only ecoboost option with FX4 package anyways. Towing that camper won't be an issue. As for milage, I have seen 17mpg ish when towing 4k for a long distance from various people. Still better than our F150 unloaded. I will take that all day long. 25-28mpg (stock) empty. Most place we will be towing is an 80-100km speed limit and low traffic. I am safe towing that rig where we are going. As for the lift, Mavericks have no issues with the lifts available for it and work great. I was going to get the eibach springs but I think I am going with the superlift 2.5 instead. Keep the shocks, ride and capacity the same and get a little more lift in the rear that the eibach does not provide. Unless I frankenlift it. Get the eibachs, and some parts to do a subframe 1" lift in the rear as well. I want to keep rake.

D

Deleted member 14476

40,000 miles of many adventures on this little truck. It’s taken me places I’ve always wanted to go, and places I didn’t think it could go, lol. It’s an impressive mini, I recommend it for what it is. She works perfect as a touring vehicle for me, girlfriend, and small dog for the weekend-2 week trips. Currently on our way to the Grand Falls in AZ and then the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Attachments

Radman73

Rank I

Contributor III

Florida
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rader
Service Branch
Navy DAV
My build date is currently the end of July. EB Lariat with FX4 and 4k tow package. Strongly considered the Tremor but at my age and with my injuries a small camper is likely in my future. Planning on a lift when the OEM tires run out and some better tires. Might do lift early, who knows. Looking at racks for the back and RTT's plus a bunch of fun gear to go with it.

Last kid is heading to college, older one is moving back in the spring until she gets married next June. Starting to have visions of much more time on our hands. Plus, the son will be going to school in TN so we can check out trails there when we visit. Very excited. We bought our son an EB XLT FX4 for his college vehicle. Really impressed with it for what it is. It's very much a "real" truck, just a smaller one.

SanDiegoMatt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

Hi, All: Haven't posted in a long time, but saw this thread and wanted to give more insight. We ordered the FX4 AWD Maverick 4Ktow April last year and picked it up early June this year. No markup at all from dealer. We have 5600 miles on this rig and did a two week Pac NW road trip with everything from dunes to mud/creek crossings. I have previously been in a Subaru and I can attest to the quality of the Ford AWD system on this truck. I've taken it up 25% grades in varying terrain including off camber situations. I did upgrade the stock OEM tires to Falken Wildpeak ATs and go up one tire size. We attached the 40 inch TuffStuff Overland bed rack and our Smittybilt Overlander RTT (rack needs modification to fit odd bed width). Truck is a beast and got 24 mpg over life of the trip and I drove however I wanted. Not sure there is a more capable vehicle (new) in the US at this price point. I got 4Ktow because I am slowly convincing my wife to let me buy a boat haha. When these tires run down, I'll lift truck 1.5 inches, I think...But the MPGs are so good...IDK. I want to modify the rear bumper to improve departure angle. One thing I love is the payload capacity. All my gear and tent etc and no squat at all. Love it! I've also done some of the more difficult sections of Otay Truck Trail in SD with this truck. My pal drives a built 4Runner and he needed 4wd low range to do the same sections, so the Mav is no joke, IMO. Couple images:
Nevada.jpg Klamath.jpg

Samoa.jpg

Attachments

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
So, we have our order ready to go for a new XLT, Lux package (I want electric heated seats and autostart) 4k towing and FX4. We are adding the eibach lift, softopper, overland rack, Reika wheels, Falken AT3s, the bushwacker flares and hood scoop from ford to the loan so when we pick it up, It's all done, just gas and go. Then, get the camper and we are gone! Can't wait.

Reactions: SanDiegoMatt

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
My build date is currently the end of July. EB Lariat with FX4 and 4k tow package. Strongly considered the Tremor but at my age and with my injuries a small camper is likely in my future. Planning on a lift when the OEM tires run out and some better tires. Might do lift early, who knows. Looking at racks for the back and RTT's plus a bunch of fun gear to go with it.

Last kid is heading to college, older one is moving back in the spring until she gets married next June. Starting to have visions of much more time on our hands. Plus, the son will be going to school in TN so we can check out trails there when we visit. Very excited. We bought our son an EB XLT FX4 for his college vehicle. Really impressed with it for what it is. It's very much a "real" truck, just a smaller one.
scout-campers-tuktut.webp (1280×720) (motor1.com)

SanDiegoMatt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

So, we have our order ready to go for a new XLT, Lux package (I want electric heated seats and autostart) 4k towing and FX4. We are adding the eibach lift, softopper, overland rack, Reika wheels, Falken AT3s, the bushwacker flares and hood scoop from ford to the loan so when we pick it up, It's all done, just gas and go. Then, get the camper and we are gone! Can't wait.
Nice! Jealous on the lift...Did your dealer say anything about a lift voiding warranty on certain parts? I heard on Maverick Truck Club that Bilstein is developing a Mav lift in concert with Ford that will NOT void warranty. But if your dealer is installing yours maybe it doesn't matter? I think you'll love the truck—lots of power and the AWD is excellent. Curios what overland rack you purchased?

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

My pal drives a built 4Runner and he needed 4wd low range to do the same sections
Your Mav is awesome, and I really want one myself. That said, c'mon a built T4R didn't "need" 4L to do the same sections you were doing easily in a Mav. There's a big difference between choosing to use 4L because it's just easier (and easier on the rig) and *needing* 4L. I run 4L a lot (sometimes with my front hubs unlocked so I have "2L") in my D'max/FWC setup because it sits at 10k lbs and it allows me to get up into gears where the torque converter locks (the TC will lock in 2nd and beyond in Tow Haul mode) and more effectively use the engine brake and generally keep trans temps lower without the TC churn (not that trans temps are ever an issue... but why not?). Just because I choose 4L in those situations doesn't mean I NEED it...

-TJ

SanDiegoMatt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

Your Mav is awesome, and I really want one myself. That said, c'mon a built T4R didn't "need" 4L to do the same sections you were doing easily in a Mav. There's a big difference between choosing to use 4L because it's just easier (and easier on the rig) and *needing* 4L. I run 4L a lot (sometimes with my front hubs unlocked so I have "2L") in my D'max/FWC setup because it sits at 10k lbs and it allows me to get up into gears where the torque converter locks (the TC will lock in 2nd and beyond in Tow Haul mode) and more effectively use the engine brake and generally keep trans temps lower without the TC churn (not that trans temps are ever an issue... but why not?). Just because I choose 4L in those situations doesn't mean I NEED it...

-TJ
Appreciate your response—yeah, perhaps a poor choice of words. 'Used' 4wd low would have been more accurate. To that end, I do not think he could have done the section I am referencing in 2wd...Nor did he. But next time maybe he should try...I imagine a skilled driver could manage it. We'll test him! I also wouldn't say the Mav did the section too easily as compared to the 4Runner. Just to clarify, I do NOT think the Mav compares to a 4Runner offroad...To me, it's more comparable to an Outback Wilderness, maybe? Or a slightly modified Crosstrek? Especially with a lift installed. Also bear in mind the bits we did were bone-dry. It would be fun to do a tandem trip/run with an Outback to see a comparison. I haven't driven his 4Runner much...Way more hours behind the wheel of a built Samurai and 72 Bronco. Both of which were amazing vehicles, but only offroad sadly. You know, if I could afford a nice Tacoma or 4Runner...That's probably what I'd have. Or even the Ford Ranger. But I can't! The Maverick—to my mind—was fairly priced and spec'd for a new vehicle. It came in at 30K plus taxes :( I have confidence in it thus far...When it cools down weather-wise, I'll test it on Canyon Sin Nombre in Anza Borrego, and some other trails as well.

Reactions: tjZ06

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Appreciate your response—yeah, perhaps a poor choice of words. 'Used' 4wd low would have been more accurate. To that end, I do not think he could have done the section I am referencing in 2wd...Nor did he. But next time maybe he should try...I imagine a skilled driver could manage it. We'll test him! I also wouldn't say the Mav did the section too easily as compared to the 4Runner. Just to clarify, I do NOT think the Mav compares to a 4Runner offroad...To me, it's more comparable to an Outback Wilderness, maybe? Or a slightly modified Crosstrek? Especially with a lift installed. Also bear in mind the bits we did were bone-dry. It would be fun to do a tandem trip/run with an Outback to see a comparison. I haven't driven his 4Runner much...Way more hours behind the wheel of a built Samurai and 72 Bronco. Both of which were amazing vehicles, but only offroad sadly. You know, if I could afford a nice Tacoma or 4Runner...That's probably what I'd have. Or even the Ford Ranger. But I can't! The Maverick—to my mind—was fairly priced and spec'd for a new vehicle. It came in at 30K plus taxes :( I have confidence in it thus far...When it cools down weather-wise, I'll test it on Canyon Sin Nombre in Anza Borrego, and some other trails as well.
I'm not saying he shouldn't have used 4L, again I support using it way more than most people choose to. And it's not like he has to go 2W or 4L, there's always 4H too. ;) But, I get your points and agree the Mav is very impressive for what it is, and I still want one. ;)

Cheers,
TJ

SanDiegoMatt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

I'm not saying he shouldn't have used 4L, again I support using it way more than most people choose to. And it's not like he has to go 2W or 4L, there's always 4H too. ;) But, I get your points and agree the Mav is very impressive for what it is, and I still want one. ;)

Cheers,
TJ
One thing is for sure—I get WAY better MPGs than him—ha! :)

Reactions: tjZ06

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I was going to let the 4L bit slide, no big deal. Lol.

Don't bother with trying 2wd. That's a LNT fail. Use 4wd as needed to lessen wear on the trail.

Don't pick a fight with an Outback either. They're more capable than they look. (Give or take massive skid plate damage)

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Nice! Jealous on the lift...Did your dealer say anything about a lift voiding warranty on certain parts? I heard on Maverick Truck Club that Bilstein is developing a Mav lift in concert with Ford that will NOT void warranty. But if your dealer is installing yours maybe it doesn't matter? I think you'll love the truck—lots of power and the AWD is excellent. Curios what overland rack you purchased?
The lift will not void anything other than the warranty on the stock springs here. They are not allowed to do that. I think we will love the rig too. Right now, I was told when we put our order in expect a 6-8 month delay for delivery. I am fine with that as we have the patriot and audi to drive. Plus the F150 whenever I need it.

We are going with the xtrusion overland XTR rack over the soft topper. They have models for this purpose.

EDIT/UPDATE: Here is the link to the rack we will be using. XTR1 Soft Topper Bed Rack - All Makes & Models [Softopper / Fas-Top / – Xtrusion Overland (xtrusion-overland.com)

Last edited:

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
How the Mav fares against the OBW.

2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness vs. Ford Maverick FX4 Overland Adventure - YouTube

SanDiegoMatt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

Very cool comparison. I think—for me—having the bed is a big plus. I am constantly at the beach and campsites...Having a spot to throw dirty stuff has nothing to do with offroad capability, but I love it so far. I personally think both these vehicles are super cool...Cool to see the AWD comparison at the end. I find myself using Mud/Ruts mode offroad, except for dunes/beach where I've used Sand mode (and it works well).

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
So me and Little man went and finally sat in one. It was an xlt trim which we will be buying. The seats are crazy comfortable. It's a great size, Little man had tons of room in front of his 6'1" chassis. He approves of the "cool" door handles on the inside. We are placing our order soon.

SanDiegoMatt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

So me and Little man went and finally sat in one. It was an xlt trim which we will be buying. The seats are crazy comfortable. It's a great size, Little man had tons of room in front of his 6'1" chassis. He approves of the "cool" door handles on the inside. We are placing our order soon.
We have the same trim. YES. Seats—for me—are very comfortable at 6'2" both front and back. Very comfortable to get in and out of as well. Hope you get your truck built fast!

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
We have the same trim. YES. Seats—for me—are very comfortable at 6'2" both front and back. Very comfortable to get in and out of as well. Hope you get your truck built fast!
I found the exact same thing. I want to take possession by this time next year. Our mortgage is up for renewal, and we will have a bunch of stuff paid off then, and can get into the truck and have less monthly outflow than we do now. So, we will be in one by aug next year. Can't wait either. It's a great vehicle.