Rank II

Contributor II

1320 12th Street, Greeley, Colorado 80631, United States
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Rattle
Member #

Hey all, I need some help with ideas or direction for my build I want to do. I’ve got a 2005 Ford F-350 (Long Bed) so it’s a pretty big boy. I’ve got a leer truck topper for it and have played with the idea of getting rid of the topper. I’m totally new to this, (not the outdoors side, just the overlanding). Where should I even begin? Any advice for a newbie in the full size rig realm? Thanks!

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Hey all, I need some help with ideas or direction for my build I want to do. I’ve got a 2005 Ford F-350 (Long Bed) so it’s a pretty big boy. I’ve got a leer truck topper for it and have played with the idea of getting rid of the topper. I’m totally new to this, (not the outdoors side, just the overlanding). Where should I even begin? Any advice for a newbie in the full size rig realm? Thanks!
The topper provides security, protection from weather, a place to sleep, and other things. KEEP IT. LOL. I'm with that guy ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Zim

Reactions: TCorona

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I run a Ram 2500 4 door long bed running 315's with a Snug and a rack around the Snug for my toys. I have a insert for the bed with cargo fitting to secure my stuff while driving. My rig looks like a contractors truck more than a overlanding rig. I live a bit closer to the bone than most, the RTT, Gazelle tent, slide out kitchen, Scottie are not for me, I camp as well as anybody, what I do works for me.
Eight foot drawers are a pain, they pull out forever, it's easier for me to hop up in the back to get what I want. I do like to sleep under the stars so I will use the tarp for my ground tent to do so. I don't like stuff hanging off the truck,
What are your goals and where do you plan to go, and what will do there? The size of the rig will limit some of the place you go. The rig just big and the distance between the tires is limiting factor, so is turning radius will also limit some trails. Good news, you GVW will not be much of a issue, You can camp large too.

Last edited:

TCorona

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Corona
Member #

Hey there,
Been truck camping for many years... now they call it 'overlanding' It all depends on your budget, the capabilities of your rig, and the type of trips you want to take...
Keep it simple in the beginning, and as you start to venture out on some trips you will soon get an idea of the type of setup that will work best for you and your family.
I would hang on to the truck topper and also go with a ground tent. A good ground tent allows you to standup inside (to get dressed, change clothes, more interior space), the truck topper will keep your gear secure and out of the elements, and if the weather conditions are bad, you can use the truck bed for shelter when ground tent is not desirable.
I use three setups for trips and exploring; ground tent/truck topper on solo trips, and camping trailer on longer trips with wife and family

Joeblonski

Rank II

Contributor II

1320 12th Street, Greeley, Colorado 80631, United States
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Rattle
Member #

I’m not 100 percent sure on the places I want to go. We are based out of Northern Colorado. (Suggestions welcome). My wife loves camping but she prefers designated areas and I’ve been slowly convincing her on dispersed/primitive camping. (I just don’t like the crowds or fighting over spots). We do already have a nice ground tent that we purchased just last year for camping with our toddler. That’s the other thing to, we have talked about getting a camper in the future, something simple and small not like a huge one.
Keep the topper ✔
As far as gear storage goes? I’ve never really seen decked in action. Is it a pretty comprehensive system?

TCorona

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Corona
Member #

I’m not 100 percent sure on the places I want to go. We are based out of Northern Colorado. (Suggestions welcome). My wife loves camping but she prefers designated areas and I’ve been slowly convincing her on dispersed/primitive camping. (I just don’t like the crowds or fighting over spots). We do already have a nice ground tent that we purchased just last year for camping with our toddler. That’s the other thing to, we have talked about getting a camper in the future, something simple and small not like a huge one.
Keep the topper ✔
As far as gear storage goes? I’ve never really seen decked in action. Is it a pretty comprehensive system?
Cool...
The Deck storage system can be fairly cumbersome, for an eight ft truck bed...:neutral:
Check out on YouTube... there are several videos on DYI builds for truck camper shells setups, some are fairly simple and some pretty deluxe.
For family camping I would checkout the NF campgrounds off the beatin path, they'll have water, restrooms, fire pit and picnic tables... cheap cost with little crowds.

69machguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nunya, USA
First Name
Wally
Last Name
Kunz
Congrats on your truck. I had an '05 F250 w/Leer shell and (DIY) camp setup stolen on a cross country trip and had to start all over. F Detroit. Bear that in mind as you start your build. Security wasn't on my short list and that was a hard lesson. I replaced my '05 with a '17 F350. I have an AT Habitat and have taken my time building out the interior camper setup. Here's a pic from the Parashant/Grand Canyon tour we did last summer. The truck exceeded my expectations. I can send additional pics (PM) if you like.

Wally

Attachments

Reactions: RaD Overlanding

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I agree with the others on keeping the camper, they’re worth it and spendy if u tried to buy one rt now. If you’re looking for storage there’s a few rack companies out there that make racks to go outside of the camper. You can bolt on all the goodies you want and your suspension can handle it. I’ve got an ‘02 f250 and I’m researching it all now too. Don’t think I’ll pay for the camper, cause I too ground/tent camp. If anything I sleep in the back and will make a canvas “shell” to go inside the rack to act like a tent or go the RTT route. I have been looking hard into the trailers too. Easy for the big rigs to tow around and leaves lots of room in the back for sleeping gear whatever. Easier to access your kitchen, hot water, etc and set up camp better as well, IMO.

I’ll be interested in what u end up with, good luck!

Reactions: RaD Overlanding

Commish1999

Rank VII
Launch Member

Inventor III

Youngstown, OH, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Conner
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
2020 F350 Tremor. I have a truck bed tent, but tend to use a ground tent more often and utilize the truck bed for gear.

Here's my build:

Influencer II

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Haskins
I’m starting to truck camp with my 16-crew cab long bed Cummins. I looked at the decked system, but it’s really only made for short bed trucks. It leaves a 18-20inch hole in the front of the bed you need to fill or put a crossover box in place. Doesn’t work very well in my opinion for a long bed. I’m a contractor so I need the use of all my bed. This time I went a different route with a sliding tonneau cover instead of the topper. And an overland rack mounted to it. I’m not sure what I like best. Loved my topper for the ability for more dry storage. But love the rack for attaching all my gear…RTT,awning,bike mounts..etc. but the vertical space of the tonneau cover is limiting. I just mounted my fridge , I needed to modify the slide to make it fit under the cover.
i say build your truck for what you use it for 99% of the time. And then figure out what really works for you when you do camp or off-road. I like that I can remove everything from a weekend trip in about 30min and load all my work tools back in the same amount of time.17E014BC-D225-4658-92CA-F098232B4FE3.jpegA1C2409B-4037-4970-9166-AFB8DC09DD58.jpeg