Fellow Jeeper

Rank V

Influencer II

Latrobe Pa
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bobincheck
Over the weekend did little back woods exploring with my 2 girls. Hit up forbes state forest. Laurel mountain area. Hit a lot of gates. But found a few roads. Seen some nice scenery and few headstones out in the middle of no where. Kind of cool but creepy lol. Met a lot of these no campimg signs also. That sucks. Heck seems they don't even want you to mountain bike here either. 20180520_144001.jpg20180520_145107.jpg20180520_144950.jpg20180520_150226.jpg20180520_145014.jpg20180520_144750.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Attachments

Makrinos001

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pittsburgh, PA
Member #

Forbes state Forrest is a great place to hike/camp/slight overland. I went in August and found several trails that were medium difficulty offroading. There's a sweet trail that is roughly 2 miles long that takes you to an overlook that's just off of skyline drive. I also got a camping permit for a really unique camp site. It's the only campsite you can stay at in the forest in that area and it's free. 39.7906100, -79.6409950

Joseph Seymour

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

Export, PA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Seymour
Member #

Forbes state Forrest is a great place to hike/camp/slight overland. I went in August and found several trails that were medium difficulty offroading. There's a sweet trail that is roughly 2 miles long that takes you to an overlook that's just off of skyline drive. I also got a camping permit for a really unique camp site. It's the only campsite you can stay at in the forest in that area and it's free. 39.7906100, -79.6409950
Great information. Did you just call the district office for the permit? Also if u guys are up that way, let me know. Happy to join you. I have a cabin in that area — good place for post exploring beer.

Makrinos001

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pittsburgh, PA
Member #

Great information. Did you just call the district office for the permit? Also if u guys are up that way, let me know. Happy to join you. I have a cabin in that area — good place for post exploring beer.
Yeah I called the Forbes state Forrest office and they filled me in on the information. It's called Motorized camping on the website. The coordinates I gave you were for campsite #4 which they oddly have incorrect coordinates listed. 25 mins from Ohiopyle and 15 from Laurel caverns.

Razorrc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Everson, PA, USA
First Name
MICHAEL
Last Name
SULKOWSKI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTB684
I've been wondering if they had those roads open to the public or not. Grew up in Shanksville but now live near Mt. Pleasant and figured they would be a nice day trip from my wife, the dog, and I.

Reactions: Fellow Jeeper

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
If anyone is interested in driving/exploring more of Forbes and potentially having some winter fun keep in mind that DCNR opens gates for a short period of time every year. It’s typically 4-5 months from fall into winter but in the case of Forbes it’s a little less than a month. Last year they opened 8 roads from 11/17-12/08 so plan accordingly.

They haven’t updated it yet for 2019-2020 but here’s the link...