Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

I'm looking to upgrade the fog lights on my 2018 TRDOR. I saw Diode Dynamics is running a Memorial Day sale and I've been looking at the SS3 LED Fog Light Kit for a while now.
  • Anyone have experience with these lights?
  • And would you recommend getting yellow or white?
  • Fog or driving?
  • Sport or Pro?
There website says the Driving Light option supplements the brights, but I seem to remember the 4R fog lights go off when you switch to brights.

FWIW, I like the look of the yellow lights and the wide beam pattern the fogs give, even though we don't get a lot of fog here in FL.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Turn them off with high beams or at highway speeds.

Wide throw, close up spill, fogs can wreck your night vision. Great for slow moving around a campground. Useless at speed.

At speed a halogen laser thin beam like a Lightforce or Fyrltyte works best in rain and snow. Low mounted halogens are still my favorite choice for fog and such.

LED's are great for spill and flood for slow wheeling. Great for repairs at the campsite.

Reactions: cgranier

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

At speed a halogen laser thin beam like a Lightforce or Fyrltyte works best in rain and snow. Low mounted halogens are still my favorite choice for fog and such.
Thanks for the info. Currently reading the Fyrlyt website.

I don't drive through fog much, but rain is another story. Also drive longer distance (since getting out of Florida takes like 6 hours!). Appreciate your input. Looking to upgrade the 2018 4R lights which could definitely be better.

Reactions: MidOH

aws123

Rank IV

Advocate I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
adam
Last Name
SCHOOLMEYER
Member #

Ive been running the SS3 pro yellows in fog pattern and they are great for fog and forest roads with dark twisty roads. Very bright and wide pattern with a good cutoff. Like your 4runner my tacoma has the same h11 low beams which are lacking from the factory. Try doin the H9 bulb swap. Just got to trim a tab on the bulb. Check youtube for that. The philips h9 is going to be your highest performer. It will keep your same beam pattern, just be twice as bright. So they will be street friendly.

Reactions: cgranier

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Ive been running the SS3 pro yellows in fog pattern and they are great for fog and forest roads with dark twisty roads. Very bright and wide pattern with a good cutoff. Like your 4runner my tacoma has the same h11 low beams which are lacking from the factory. Try doin the H9 bulb swap. Just got to trim a tab on the bulb. Check youtube for that. The philips h9 is going to be your highest performer. It will keep your same beam pattern, just be twice as bright. So they will be street friendly.
Thanks. I missed out on the SS3 discount, so will probably wait for the next time. But definitely looking into the H9 bulbs.

Reactions: aws123

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

So I ended up doing the H9/H11 swap mod and so far I'm happy with it. I'll try to do a comparison soon with a stock 4R. Looking into doing the high beam swap soon. Still undecided on the fog lights.

Reactions: aws123 and DaleRF

Jdsint

Rank V

Creator III

90 New Jersey Highway 94, Vernon, New Jersey 07462, United States
First Name
Joe
Last Name
S
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2ZBE
I'm looking to upgrade the fog lights on my 2018 TRDOR. I saw Diode Dynamics is running a Memorial Day sale and I've been looking at the SS3 LED Fog Light Kit for a while now.
  • Anyone have experience with these lights?
  • And would you recommend getting yellow or white?
  • Fog or driving?
  • Sport or Pro?
There website says the Driving Light option supplements the brights, but I seem to remember the 4R fog lights go off when you switch to brights.

FWIW, I like the look of the yellow lights and the wide beam pattern the fogs give, even though we don't get a lot of fog here in FL.
I like the DD lights but ended up with Baja. The lens can be swapped out easy for 10 bucks. I went with amber combo fog driving. They cut fog and misty rain well. Squadron sports are fine. No need for the pro. Also, you can wire them to go on without the headlight connection. Check your local mv laws.

Attachments

Reactions: aws123 and cgranier

aws123

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
adam
Last Name
SCHOOLMEYER
Member #

So I ended up doing the H9/H11 swap mod and so far I'm happy with it. I'll try to do a comparison soon with a stock 4R. Looking into doing the high beam swap soon. Still undecided on the fog lights.
Thats great. Glad you like it. I think your high beam is a 9005 style bulb. The upgrade to that is the 9011. You can also get a HIR bulb in the 9011 although they are a little pricey. The new 9011 sylvania bulbs( korean made not german) are HIR and i think the best you can get currently. Diode dynamics has a 15% off sale goin on currently, till the 8th i think.

aws123

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
adam
Last Name
SCHOOLMEYER
Member #

Baja designs have some nice lights, but they arent very street friendly because they dont control glare well. Diode dynamics has a much better optic on their foglights that make them much more street friendly. Check out the writeup on tacomaworld. This dude has put in some work.

aws123

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
adam
Last Name
SCHOOLMEYER
Member #

I personally have had the squadron sports and now the ss3 pros. Huge difference in output and cutoff. Ss3 wins hands down. Hope all that helps make your decision easier.

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Thats great. Glad you like it. I think your high beam is a 9005 style bulb. The upgrade to that is the 9011. You can also get a HIR bulb in the 9011 although they are a little pricey. The new 9011 sylvania bulbs( korean made not german) are HIR and i think the best you can get currently. Diode dynamics has a 15% off sale goin on currently, till the 8th i think.
Thanks for the H9/H11 recommendation (and the heads up on the DD sale). Are the Pros worth the extra $? Thinking of going with the Yellow Pros Fog....

aws123

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
adam
Last Name
SCHOOLMEYER
Member #

Thanks for the H9/H11 recommendation (and the heads up on the DD sale). Are the Pros worth the extra $? Thinking of going with the Yellow Pros Fog....
Depends what your going to use them for. Look at the writeup i linked. It will give you your answer. Personally id go with pro or max. Living in colorado now, so i need fogs that can thaw themselves out. Only pros and max can do that.

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Depends what your going to use them for. Look at the writeup i linked. It will give you your answer. Personally id go with pro or max. Living in colorado now, so i need fogs that can thaw themselves out. Only pros and max can do that.
I was going through it now, thanks. It seems the Sports are very good and the Pros insane. I don't need them to get hot, though. I may get the Sports for now - I can always convert them to rack lights later and get the Pros, I guess. Will sleep on it.

Thanks!

Reactions: aws123