Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Gainesville, Alachua County, Florida, United States
First Name
Arman
Last Name
Serrano
Member #

Hello guys! I'm planning to do my first long road trip/overlandig adventure next mid of July. I want to explore Southern Utah, Southern Nevada, Northern Arizona, eastern California. I will appreciate any suggestions and places to avoid. I will keep you guys updated how is going to be.

Rig:
2016 Ram 1500 2wd
4 inch lift kit Rear Roughcountry
+ 2 inch leveling kit Front Roughcountry
17' 33x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grappler

Reactions: T-88 and Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello guys! I'm planning to do my first long road trip/overlandig adventure next mid of July. I want to explore Southern Utah, Southern Nevada, Northern Arizona, eastern California. I will appreciate any suggestions and places to avoid. I will keep you guys updated how is going to be.

Rig:
2016 Ram 1500 2wd
Welcome To Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan
For your trip this July you might want to check out the Rocky Mountain Region and West Region pages to get some information that might help you. The Rocky Mountain Director is @Neal A. Tew and the West Director is @Narbob
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Reactions: AW Overland

DirtySox

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tallahassee, Florida
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Mabry
Member #

Rig:
2016 Ram 1500 2wd
If it were me, I would rethink July. October or April would be more comfortable.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I'd avoid anything below 5000' in July in the SouthWest. Oregon or Montana are nicer then, but can still be freaking HOT! Visit the hell out of Colorado. The Southwest is sooo much better Spring/Fall.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

July is my only window, after that I can't go that far from Florida :/

So, to hot can affect my rig?
More importantly, too hot can affect you and those with you.

Intentionally going on an outdoor adventure to an area known for extremely high temperatures, during the hottest months of the year, is to invite trouble, discomfort, and frustration.

Do yourself and your family a favor. Read up on Heat Stroke and Heat Exhaustion and how to tell the difference, what to do, and how to prevent it.

If July is your only window, I would plan an adventure at higher altitudes and cooler environments. It will still be warm summer temps, just not as extreme or dangerous.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Read this article; Death Valley Germans - Wikipedia The heat in the SW Basin and Range desert can be oppressive and deceiving, Phoneix has weeks of over 100°F days and it cools off at night to the upper 70's. Death Valley NP is larger than the State of New Hampshire. I hear Canada is nice in the summer........too bad the border crossings are restricted due to covid.

Last edited:

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I don't know Parashant. The South rim of Grand Canyon is 7000' and the North rim is 8000'. South rim is likely to be crowded and reservations probably full. Though I've never been, North rim is remote self supported camping, check out some youtube videos.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
youre in florida, so heat shouldnt be that big a deal to you....there's less humidity out west, so it might feel a tad better, but still hot. people live and work out west all the time and there are guys building and doing roofing during the summer, so just stay hydrated and all that stuff....

i've been out to the grand canyon, arches natl park, bryce canyon, etc in june and it was hot, but there were hundreds of folk still out and about doing fine. if it gets too hot for y'all...do hikes in the morning and evening and drive during the day and enjoy the a/c. the grand canyon is mainly driving from one pullout parking area to the next, so its not like you are down in the canyon hiking and sweating to death. a lot of area out there is driving...we just got back from that area and the arches natl park is mainly driving with some very short hikes to get right up to the arches. bryce canyon is also mainly driving and stopping at pullouts and taking pictures. there is plenty to see by car if it is too hot and if it feels ok to you, there are short hikes as well. you'll have fun and get to see plenty no matter how you do it

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Rig:
2016 Ram 1500 2wd
I am sure you will get lots of differing suggestions in regards to your planned trip. One way to get local information on an individual parks monthly weather is to make contact either by email or telephone. All National Parks keep good weather statistics and it is available to you.
I also would go to just about every national park in the west with the exception of DV. If you need verification on DV's weather in July please PM me and I will get you in touch with a member who is the local patrol officer for the California Highway Patrol in DV.

AW Overland

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

First Name
Arman
Last Name
Serrano
Member #

youre in florida, so heat shouldnt be that big a deal to you....there's less humidity out west, so it might feel a tad better, but still hot. people live and work out west all the time and there are guys building and doing roofing during the summer, so just stay hydrated and all that stuff....

i've been out to the grand canyon, arches natl park, bryce canyon, etc in june and it was hot, but there were hundreds of folk still out and about doing fine. if it gets too hot for y'all...do hikes in the morning and evening and drive during the day and enjoy the a/c. the grand canyon is mainly driving from one pullout parking area to the next, so its not like you are down in the canyon hiking and sweating to death. a lot of area out there is driving...we just got back from that area and the arches natl park is mainly driving with some very short hikes to get right up to the arches. bryce canyon is also mainly driving and stopping at pullouts and taking pictures. there is plenty to see by car if it is too hot and if it feels ok to you, there are short hikes as well. you'll have fun and get to see plenty no matter how you do it
Yes, I'm used to deal with heat. I come from Cuba, no AC, and high heat index in summer. I'm a construction worker and working in Central FL in summer is miserable!

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I don't know if you have left yet, the high in DV is supposed to be 130°F this Saturday, That means in the 90's at night. Be safe, don't plan on hiking anywhere in that heat. Most of the SW is in a heat wave.

AW Overland

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

First Name
Arman
Last Name
Serrano
Member #

I don't know if you have left yet, the high in DV is supposed to be 130°F this Saturday, That means in the 90's at night. Be safe, don't plan on hiking anywhere in that heat. Most of the SW is in a heat wave.
I'm in Alabama now. I'm heading Arches/CanyonLands this Sunday. I'll be checking DV temperatures for next weekend.

Any recommendation about where to stay at night if DV is too hot?

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Anyplace above 6000' should get you out of the heat. I don't know if you heard(or care) there is an earthquake event happening up HWY395 Between Brigdeport and Topaz Lake, the opener was a 6.0 and likely was the largest, BUT, there is a 6% chance of a larger quake. That is pretty normal for the area though. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is nice and 9000'.

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Welcome to the Overland community group Arman. They worry about earthquakes in California like we worry about Hurricanes here in Florida. You can prepare for the heat a lot by just making sure you have enough to drink. If you want to check out the lower altitudes during the heat of the day and escape to the higher altitudes at night that can be doable too. But like other posters said read up on heat related injuries. Anything you learn cannot be taken away from you and lost. Either way have fun.