First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I thought I would add my solution here for anyone who may need to do this. There are a number of posts on how to add a GPS internally , but I preferred not to open my radio head up.

There is more to come on this once I get my keyboard cable

I used an ancient Garmin Etrex Venture that finally failed this year. But as it survived 11 years stuck to the windshield of 3 different trucks it is pretty hard to complain. It was hooked up via a Byronic P.T. GPS cable
  • Parts required about $65.00 CDN
  • Serial GPS, USB GPS may not work. I used a Globalsat Br-355S4
  • 2.5 mm connector with cable - 3 wires
  • Micro USB connector - CN0009 by Proto-advantage was my choice
  • female PS/2 connector from a PS/2 Keyboard extension cable
Having read the various internal setups, I created a test rig. I do some robotics under Arduino on the side so I had gear and connectors
After confirming the GPS was functional I tested a couple of different speeds it seems to want 4800 baud which is the Kenwood default.
A basic test with radio showed the radio communicating with GPS and my location being shown.

At this point I could cut the GPS Ps?2 end of and wire it all up, I prefer to be able to disconnect the GPS and test it or replace it. To that end I have ordered a PS/2 keyboard cable which I will dismantle for the feed and power.
Test rig

IMG_0552 copy.jpg

Testing output prior to radio test - pretty decent for inside the house

IMG_0551.JPG

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Here is the final cable setup, the most difficult part was figuring out what cable went to what pin on the keyboard extension cable, there is no standard to the color/pin mapping. Once that was determined and tested final wiring was completed. I use R/C wiring to create the connections so it can all be easily disconnected for T/S or component replacement.

The mount is a cell phone mount with a bent piece of steel for the GPS magnetic base to connect to.

I kept the cables long in the event of breaks or damage, a small box will be used to capture the excess and store it out of the way under the dash.

IMG_0555.JPG

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Small update put it all in the Disco and went for a short drive, works good. The mount needs work, better system for rough trails. A couple of images, I will do a final update once everything is "locked" in place.

IMG_0556[1].JPG

IMG_0557[1].JPG

Reactions: RoarinRow

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Adjusted the radio went for a short trip to my storage unit beaconed perfectly.

GPS_track1.jpg

BriggTrim

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Brigg
Last Name
Trim
Hi....Amazing work! I have a D710A and have been employing a Deluo GPS puck with a mess of wire, connector cables and an ancient Cingular Remote cigarette lighter plug phone charger wired in to control it. Fortunately most of it is covered up and it's been a work horse for 13+ a long time.
www.7pcb.com

Last edited:
Reactions: rgallant