First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Hello All,

I've got a big trip with the wife coming up. As it draws near just wanted to make extra sure I'm prepped and ready. I know how to backpack in bear country but overlanding is a new one for me. What are tips and tricks for keeping scents down with a vehicle? Any must have equipment? I need to figure out what to do with my Cooler. It is a bear "resistant" cooler but I'd rather not test it to find out. Also I should note that I have my tent above my bed. So planning on only leaving non-food items in the bed. The region i'm heading to is WV/VA. Mainly near Shenandoah NP a bit further West.

Looking forward to any help!
Thanks

~SJ

Reactions: WTSMatt

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Normally if its not grizzly or polar bear country there would be no problem. Black bears usually are more scared of you than you are of them. Now mnt lions/ cougars that share black bear territory or whatever your region calls em are a differnt story. Polar, grizz and mnt lions will actively hunt you while black bears are more like a big raccoon.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Normally if its not grizzly or polar bear country there would be no problem. Black bears usually are more scared of you than you are of them. Now mnt lions/ cougars that share black bear territory or whatever your region calls em are a differnt story. Polar, grizz and mnt lions will actively hunt you while black bears are more like a big raccoon.
Yeah the more I researched the more I found this to be the case. I had bear spray just in case but other than that we just kept everything clean and locked up. Thanks for the reply though! I'm not planning on going to grizzly country anytime soon. Cougars/MTN Lions may be a different story as I get further west on my trips.