First time overland member. Help needed

• HTML tutorial

Dan1109

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lakenheath, UK
Member #

I own a Toyota Tacoma off road edition (double cab). Not sure if this is the right place for this type of discussion. Any suggestions for any type of gear that is a must need for someone new starting out? Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Dan

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I own a Toyota Tacoma off road edition (double cab). Not sure if this is the right place for this type of discussion. Any suggestions for any type of gear that is a must need for someone new starting out? Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Dan
Dan, you now currently own one of the most capable offroad vehicles on the planet stock. Your need is for the adventure. Get out there and start getting into it....put yourself and your vehicle to the test...then sit down and figure out how you want to use your truck before you get lost in the crazy world of accessories. Make notes on what works and doesn't when you go out. A journal of sorts. Good luck. My very first thing is get some decent tires that can take the abuse of on road and off.

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
For a general idea, the Home Page here has a section titled Bootcamp. Worth chcking out.
The body needs Food, Water and Shelter....this is what you NEED.... Go Do It!

Reactions: Chadlyb

John Kurtz

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kurtz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WROV950
Service Branch
Army 11b: veteran
Thanks everyone for your inputs. Greatly helped in what direction to go with.

One of the greatest pieces of advice I ever got was "Just start going on trips. After each trip think about what you took that you didn't use/need and what you didn't take that you need/could have used." This will help keep you from spending thousands on gear you don't really need or will never use. What kind of trips you start on is going to be more based on your experience level. Try just going to a national park and camping. From there try to find harder and harder trails. Most people get tires first but I found, personally, that I needed a light upgrade first. I couldn't stand how little I could see at night on the trails. Hope this helps.

Overland A Far

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocky Mountain House, Alberta
Member #

Good comments above. Don't get caught up in spontaneously buying equipment. Test out your truck and see what your current equipment does for you. Comfort (vehicle and camping items), safety, recovery gear, and navigation are good items to focus on first. Decide the type of overlanding you may want to do - some do very well in light vehicles and even cars. One of our group uses a Jeep Trail-hawk and does very well with basic gear. Once you have loaded up then to deal with weight and ride good suspension and tires may be in order.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Great advice so far. I owned a TRD Off Road Tacoma for five year. Great vehicles and very capable in stock form. Depending on how much 4-wheeling you plan on doing, I’d recommend upgrading the factory all-season tires to an all terrain or mud terrain. A good off road tire can make worlds of difference.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Dan,
My wife and I -recently purchased a 2018 Tacoma, DC-SB-TRD Offroad. We have 30 years in a LandCruiser. The first and only modification so far we've made was to put on Rock Sliders. We have determined the need of a Bed Cap, to security of our gear. We moved the Fire Extinguisher, and first-aid kit from the Forester, to the Tacoma. Get to know the stock truck before making "Gotta Haves..." That's my 2 cents. David

Darthwj913

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Dan,

On my list no matter the rig recovery gear ei tow strap drings gloves shovel seconds a good firstaid kit. 3rd cb and or ham if u have no cell service what u going to do....4th good tires mts or agressive ats tires can make or break a trip.