LSRcUbb

Rank 0

Contributor II

South San Francisco, San Mateo County, California, United States
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Cayabyab
I just picked up a 98 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4. Looking forward to have fun and hit the trails. This is my first experience building a SUV. All I done to it is of course maintenance, added a 2.5 lift all around and tires 31's. For a first timer is there anything else that you may think that is needed for this particular vehicle. Please advise. Thanks.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Very simple reliable rig. Keep it close to stock. Keep it under the GVWR. Keep it well maintained, find a shop, mechanic you can trust, get out and enjoy it.
Travel light. If you packed it and never used it leave it at home next time. Pack like a back packer.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
These are more capable than a lot of people thing. They are still a unibody but there are some things to make them carry more.
I used one in Congo for a bit - it did OK,. Also rented one in 4 Corners for a 10 day trip - it was not bad off pavement. The lift is probably a good idea, however as Billiebob says - get out and use it!

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

You said you've already done all the maintenance, a small lift and slightly bigger tires (I presume something like an all terrain)... you're good to go. Get out and use it, and when you find something that actually needs improved, focus there. That said, if you go out solo then a winch might be worth considering.

-TJ

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I have been on a learning experience with my 4Runner around general maintenance and knowing the components of my rig.
I figure it is out there in no man's land ( or with a group of folks) and the last thing I want is for something to fail that could have been prevented at home.

Considering it is a '98 a couple things I would advise is to go through is the running gear and really scrub it over ( ie check for leaks, dead seals, broken/damaged boots or rubber covers, check your bushings ( if you can ) and lubricate where needed ( ie drive shaft, any zerks really!).

Then do the check for cracks or weakened points (specifically around things like spindles or shafts).

If you can drain and replace the critical fluids, ( ie transfer and transmission ) then your off road confidence should be greatly improved!

Lastly, a scan-gauge is a nice addition if you do not have gauges for things like transmission temp.

Happy Trails!

Reactions: zgfiredude