Ocala, FL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04IKI
Doing some testing this last weekend in the Montero build and did about 40 miles in the Ocala national forest. Very dry and tons of sugar sand. My buddy had his Gambler 500 vehicle out with us (we like to have at least 2 vehicles) and he did succumb to the Sugar sand once and was sitting in his skid plate. I got a chance to use my new kinetic rope and it worked out well. He just needed a little tug. The rope is made by DitchPig. 7/8 x 20ft. Worked well. 5/5 stars on Amazon so figured I’d try it.
15DADF48-8A0C-45EB-99E7-EA788CE266F0.jpeg
View attachment IMG_4630.mov

DocMartin

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ocala, FL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04IKI
Kinetic rope is on my short list of gear this year.
Seems much easier on the equipment and attachment points. This one was $79 as opposed to some that are double and it has great reviews from people that actually have used it for recovery.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Is kinetic rope much different than a snatch strap (not a tow strap)?
One is flat the other is round. ;) If it's a real snatch strap and not a standard recovery strap. Even a recovery strap has some give to it but not enough to be doing big yanks with it.

BiggB74

Rank IV
Launch Member

Explorer I

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Dean
Member #

I will have to look into something like that. How long has it been in use and is there a limit of times you can use it before it stops working? Have you tried it with a bigger vehicle? Keep having fun!

Reactions: 510Steve

510Steve

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leandro, California, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
YSL
Member #

From personal experience, I can assure you a kinetic rope is worth it's weight in gold if you find yourself in a situation that calls for it. I have a 5th gen 4runner and was able to yank a newer tundra that was buried to the frame in river bottom mud. We tried to tug initially with a tow strap and that was a no go. I just spun all 4 tires an started digging holes. Then we pulled out the kinetic and one quick tug the tundra was out.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
One is flat the other is round. ;) If it's a real snatch strap and not a standard recovery strap. Even a recovery strap has some give to it but not enough to be doing big yanks with it.
So, let's say the snatch strap is designed to stretch 20%. I'm mostly curious, as I recently bought a snatch strap.

DocMartin

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ocala, FL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04IKI
I will have to look into something like that. How long has it been in use and is there a limit of times you can use it before it stops working? Have you tried it with a bigger vehicle? Keep having fun!
The Kinetic straps are new in the last few years. I'm not sure about how long they last but from what I watched on some 4wd shows, if you start to see the usual signs of ba wear then they are toast. Kinetic straps come in different thicknesses. I think from 1/2 inch all the way up to 2 inch thick. Mine is a 7/8 inch thick and it's good for large suvs and pickups.

DocMartin

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ocala, FL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04IKI
So, let's say the snatch strap is designed to stretch 20%. I'm mostly curious, as I recently bought a snatch strap.
Yes, the snatch strap can stretch about 20% or so. That is why you can get a running start for a pull with minimum shock to the vehicles.

Reactions: Downs

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Yes, the snatch strap can stretch about 20% or so. That is why you can get a running start for a pull with minimum shock to the vehicles.
That's what I thought, but I was genuinely curious. Sounds like I bought the right thing! I do have a tow strap as well. Next up are some traction boards. :D

Reactions: DocMartin and Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I believe most of the Ropes stretch 30 percent instead of 20. But you'd have to check each manufacturer's website. I just ordered a 7/8ths inch ditch pig. Less than 80 dollars and next day delivery via Amazon.

The kinetic ropes are newish to the off road world but my understanding is that big honkin ones have been used in the heavy equipment/trucking industry since the 80s. Some of those have a 100,000 capacity.

Reactions: DocMartin

Ben_in_ILM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Myrtle Grove, NC
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jensen
Member #

My 20' Bubba Rope and Synthetic Shackle is a lifesaver for pulling people out of the soft sand at the beach.

Reactions: Downs