Bryan R.

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Glenside, PA, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Resch
I joined last year but still very inexperienced. I'm trying to locate a reputable shop for Overland builds for bumpers , rock sliders and maybe an RSI Smartcap. I'm having issues with Mainline Overland in West Chester Pa. returning my calls. I won't mind a little road trip to get some work done. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

You'll have to exercise patience right now in all things related to outdoor recreation.

Every manufacturer, small shop, vendor, and re-seller I know is experiencing backups because of the pandemic and an historic new interest from consumers.

From getting raw materials to skilled labor for installs, to shipping and transport problems, not to mention finding good office help to just field the huge increase in calls and email and social media requests, the outdoor recreation industry--as well as many others--are struggling to keep up.

It's putting some businesses under. Undeserved negative reviews on forums and social media abound and have unfairly affected small biz. Others have put a six-month hold on new orders. Still others have a wait-list as long as your arm or have told existing customers their orders/builds have been delayed because of the above problems.

Not every small biz is great at handling the increase or at communication, though it doesn't mean they are intentionally ignoring.

I suspect it's going to take some time for things to settle into new routines and work flow.

Hard to have patience, I know, when you want to get out there while the weather is good for getting out!

mamalone200

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eastern Shore of Maryland
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

I'm going through the process of having a custom bumper made for my truck and have been having similar problems. I called/emailed nearly 40 shops all over the mid-Atlantic region, and only two or three have gotten back to me. Eventually I found a local shop that gave me an excellent quote, and scheduled it out for 2 months. 3 months later, I messaged him and a week or two later he got back to me and told me to drop it off last Monday and it would be finished that week. Friday came and went, so I messaged and called a bunch with no answer. Just today I called every half an hour until the owner eventually picked up. He said they are ridiculously busy, and every project is running behind due to labor/material issues. He said they are going to start my truck on Monday, a whole 2 weeks after I dropped my daily driver off with no communication. Luckily I am WFH so its not a huge deal for me.

Road is 100% correct about shops being overwhelmed right now, and unfortunately the best fabricators often aren't the greatest with communicating with prospective customers. If you can visit a shop in person, you are much more likely to get someone's attention than if you call/email.

It's your money and entirely your decision, but here is my .02 cents absolutely no one asked for. If you are brand new to overlanding, I don't really recommend throwing a bunch of money on mods for your vehicle. Get good tires, basic recovery gear and the other necessities and then get out there. The best way to figure out what you need is to actually get out there and use your rig. You will find things you don't like, and then you can make upgrades to address these deficiencies. You might have already realized a need, and in that case, totally ignore this.