Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

Looking for guidance from those more experienced than me.. I recently bought my old high school vehicle from my parents. 1997 4Runner. Its days of long trips are done for a while I work on maintenance and getting it back into shape. Curious everyones thoughts. I want to turn it more into a softroader. One that will go more places that my Tundra or our full size Chevy wont go. So I want to add bumpers and sliders.

I am struggling to pay $3000+ on armor for a rig that may go another 20,000 or 200,000 miles. I have been thinking about a weld it yourself kit for the front and rear bumpers to try and save some coin. I grew up on the farm and learned farm welding... I can make metal stick together but I wont call myself a welder. Would it be wise to give welding my own a try? Fully aware that it will take some time and grinding.

Other thought I had was I could tack it all up and fit it all and take it to work and have a welder burn it out from there. Probably the better idea but my inner child really wants to do all the tinkering and building myself. I am a design engineer by day so I spend so much time designing heavy equipment but never getting to play in the shop.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Consider cost of materials vs cost to buy a kit. My experience they aren't that far apart.
That being said, I also like to build stuff on my own whether I can buy it cheaper or not, but time hasn't been on my side lately.
Mig welding or tig welding side Armour would give you the best looking results, but you would need a half way decent welder to bring the size of material you would likely use. You can somewhat get better penetration if you clean your metal really well and heat it before you burn it but if you aren't a welder ( don't know what a good weld looks like, or don't now what your doing) it may negate the extra work put in for prep.
Now don't take my word as being an expert, I started welding in my garage and ended up getting a job as a welder when I moved cities, but I can maybe pass on some tips. I know there are plenty of fabricators on the forum that make my work like like a todlers crayon drawing lol.

Reactions: flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

Consider cost of materials vs cost to buy a kit. My experience they aren't that far apart.
That being said, I also like to build stuff on my own whether I can buy it cheaper or not, but time hasn't been on my side lately.
Mig welding or tig welding side Armour would give you the best looking results, but you would need a half way decent welder to bring the size of material you would likely use. You can somewhat get better penetration if you clean your metal really well and heat it before you burn it but if you aren't a welder ( don't know what a good weld looks like, or don't now what your doing) it may negate the extra work put in for prep.
Now don't take my word as being an expert, I started welding in my garage and ended up getting a job as a welder when I moved cities, but I can maybe pass on some tips. I know there are plenty of fabricators on the forum that make my work like like a todlers crayon drawing lol.
Thanks yeah I am not sure I would weld or make my own sliders they are cheap enough I would probably have a shop do those.. Front and rear bumpers is where I question my skills. I can get front and rear bumper kits for just over $1000 or I can buy them welded for well over $2000.. The savings has me considering it just wasnt sure how much skill one would truly need or if it was a project to start learning and expanding my skills with.

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
It's a 90s toyota, pretty well change all fluids and make sure the brakes work. You are good for another 200,000 miles if there is no chassis rust. (they are famous for rotting). Everything else, build as you go. welding is pretty easy once you know the basics and have a good machine. I have a tweco fabricator 211. It's awesome. With attachements I can weld any type of metal using any type of welding. Also, if you are going to fabricate stuff for the rig, get a plasma cutter too. Makes life MUCH easier.

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

I say go for it! You can take a welding class at your local Junior College to sharpen/gain some skills. There is a that sense of satisfaction when you make something, doesn't matter how the welds look, do they stick?
Sadly there is no a welding class reasonably close to me... yet. BUT my company is helping sponsor a tech school that will include welding. I am not sure when it will open but I am going to try and get in to it when it does open. I am hoping they will let me use some of my tuition reimbursement on it.

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

It's a 90s toyota, pretty well change all fluids and make sure the brakes work. You are good for another 200,000 miles if there is no chassis rust. (they are famous for rotting). Everything else, build as you go. welding is pretty easy once you know the basics and have a good machine. I have a tweco fabricator 211. It's awesome. With attachements I can weld any type of metal using any type of welding. Also, if you are going to fabricate stuff for the rig, get a plasma cutter too. Makes life MUCH easier.
Yeah my family has owned the runner since the early 2000s so I know most of its history. It has had a few of its own Gremlins through the years though. Transmission was just rebuilt after my brother stuff 35s under it, got stuck in snow, then took on transmission trying to get unstuck.. it was originally from CA and its frame is in very good shape. Not CA good, but also not what you would expect for a 24 year old snow runner. It's in better shape than my '06 Tundra in the frame department.

Thankfully between family members I have access to all of the welders and hand plasmas. It's just making the trek home to use them for now. As soon as my living situations allows I will have my own though.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@flyfisher117
I want to turn it more into a softroader. One that will go more places that my Tundra or our full size Chevy wont go. So I want to add bumpers and sliders.

I am struggling to pay $3000+ on armor for a rig that may go another 20,000 or 200,000 miles.
You did not mention how many miles are on the clock. that might make a difference in how you proceed.
I have a 97 Tacoma that in stock form has taken me anywhere I would consider "Soft Roading" (All over Co, Wy, Mt, Nb, Nm, Up to Canada and parts of Utah and Idaho) for the last 20+ years. Picking your line carefully and knowing when to look for another path will take that rig many miles w/o incident into a lot of places larger trucks will not go.

Build up as you find that you need to. sounds like you have a background that includes access to the tools and knowledge needed for fabrication of what you want. Lots of kits available for that rig when the time comes. Check out H O M E | Overland underbudget and his youtube channel for ideas on Getting there.

Best!
Boort

Reactions: flyfisher117

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

While I agree that formal welding courses are a good way to go they're not always necessary. My dad got me going at age 15 with his Lincoln 225 tombstone arc welder and Harris O/A torches. That was almost 55 yrs. ago and I've been at it ever since - arc, MIG, O/A, spot and hammer welding - no TIG but it would be fun to learn. I've botched a few things along the way but I learned from that. I was building tube frames for off road racing by age 20. That was a big learning curve and I'm happy to say nothing broke.

The only course I took was for hammer welding - sheet metal fusion with an O/A torch and no filler rod. This essential for panel beating; more of a restoration skill and not really needed for anything off road related. The theory behind it was good to learn and taught me I was lacking it in other areas of welding. This was all long before YouTube and, although not nearly like getting hands on training from a pro, you can learn a lot from it.

Anyway, with decent equipment, a desire to learn and practice, lots of it, it's a great skill to have.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I am a Pipefitter/Welder by trade. I would absolutly say...YES! Go for it! Becoming a "hobbyist" welder is not hard.
First, Picking a machine that will do the job can be intimidating. All depends on your budget. I will say that I have owned an Eastwood Mig 175 for almost 8 years. I cant tell you how many spools of wire I have run through it but its a lot! Works great and is very budget friendly.
Second, Physically going to a welding school is not necessary. There is plenty of "how to weld" content on Youtube to get you dialed in.
Set the machine, weld 2 inches and look at it. Make a machine adjustment based off what you hear and see then weld another 2 inches. Look at it, make another adjustment.....rinse and repeat.

Here is my main point, Yes, you will probably spend the same money in the long run, maybe more! But, you will have a new tool that will allow you to do more on your own saving you money over many years. A welding machine can also make you money! Over time you will have a garage full of really useful tools and the skills to build anything!!

Link to my build page here.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Weld.com on YouTube really helped me learn how to burn metal. They have tutorials for almost any kind of welding.

Also @PNW EXPLR is a very good welder. I enlisted his help on the “Adventure Machine”’s winch mount system. And trust me its solid.

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

@flyfisher117
I want to turn it more into a softroader. One that will go more places that my Tundra or our full size Chevy wont go. So I want to add bumpers and sliders.

I am struggling to pay $3000+ on armor for a rig that may go another 20,000 or 200,000 miles.
You did not mention how many miles are on the clock. that might make a difference in how you proceed.
I have a 97 Tacoma that in stock form has taken me anywhere I would consider "Soft Roading" (All over Co, Wy, Mt, Nb, Nm, Up to Canada and parts of Utah and Idaho) for the last 20+ years. Picking your line carefully and knowing when to look for another path will take that rig many miles w/o incident into a lot of places larger trucks will not go.

Build up as you find that you need to. sounds like you have a background that includes access to the tools and knowledge needed for fabrication of what you want. Lots of kits available for that rig when the time comes. Check out H O M E | Overland underbudget and his youtube channel for ideas on Getting there.

Best!
Boort
Motor and body has 217k. Transmission was rebuilt after my brother took it out 3k miles ago.

Reactions: Boort

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

I am a Pipefitter/Welder by trade. I would absolutly say...YES! Go for it! Becoming a "hobbyist" welder is not hard.
First, Picking a machine that will do the job can be intimidating. All depends on your budget. I will say that I have owned an Eastwood Mig 175 for almost 8 years. I cant tell you how many spools of wire I have run through it but its a lot! Works great and is very budget friendly.
Second, Physically going to a welding school is not necessary. There is plenty of "how to weld" content on Youtube to get you dialed in.
Set the machine, weld 2 inches and look at it. Make a machine adjustment based off what you hear and see then weld another 2 inches. Look at it, make another adjustment.....rinse and repeat.

Here is my main point, Yes, you will probably spend the same money in the long run, maybe more! But, you will have a new tool that will allow you to do more on your own saving you money over many years. A welding machine can also make you money! Over time you will have a garage full of really useful tools and the skills to build anything!!

Link to my build page here.
Thank you. My parents have an old stick welder and a new Hobart 140? I believe it is. Grandparents and uncle have 4 or 5 welders and a small Miller hand plasma.

We also have an offroad trailer that my father-in-law built. My future plans is to rebuild it and do it a little differently so I'll need to have some weld skills for that too.

One of the hardest things ever is going from having direct access to a fully equipped shop to replacing front diff bearings in your apartment parking lot haha.

I'll check out that build!

• Love
Reactions: Boort and PNW EXPLR