European Members: Such different regions and weather conditions in the comparable small region Europe - which vehicle setup do you prefer?

• HTML tutorial

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi,

Hope you all have a great weekend.

This topic about the Jeep camper conversion here has given me the idea to ask around who drives which vehicle setup and why.

We have so many different areas in Europe. Urban, rural, coast, mountains, low mountain ranges. So different weather, yes in some regions there are even over the day strong changes regarding the weather. Even if we are climatically in temperate latitudes, the conditions are - also depending on the season - extremely different depending on the region in Europe. From beyond minus 30 degrees Celsius and snowy winters to over plus 40 degrees Celsius and desert-like areas, there is a lot. And all this in a comparatively small area. This can place enormous and varying demands on an overlanding vehicle. Personal preferences and conditions also play a role here.

So, who chose which setup and why? This is certainly an interesting question for many, not only for newcomers.

I'd like to get started then, too. We travel with a classic 4x4 with a simple but cozy interior. Outfitted with a compressor fridge, 2nd battery/ solar panel, storage and seating options, awning and a poptop roof. We usually sleep in the poptop roof. In addition, we have the possibility to sleep in the rig, if it is very stormy, or during thunderstorms or if it should be more stealth camping. Cooking is done outside. This brings me to one of the points why we chose this setup. Life on the road for us takes place outside, summer and winter. And if it is really unpleasant outside, we can still sit inside the rig. Furthermore, the rig must not be too big and must have good off-road capabilities, as we like to be off paved roads and sometimes also in more difficult terrain (this is one reason why I have a winch on the overlanding vehicle). In terms of size, it is also important for us that the vehicle is not too high, so that we can easily pass-through low clearance heights (bridges, pipes, yard- and city gates, rocky outcrops) and that the vehicle remains container-compatible for shipping overseas. For us two people, a 4x4 with a poptop roof is therefore just the right size for us. Even to be on the road for many months.

And you? That will certainly be interesting and perhaps give one or the other new ideas.

I look forward to your answers and am very curious.

Bjoern

Reactions: MazeVX

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
This topic has so many aspects depending on type of travel etc.

We have evolved through a number of stages to reach where we are now.

Initially it was just the Defender 90 with a Hannibal soft RTT and storage boxes. This was perfect for Cyprus where we lived at the time as the weather is mostly warm and dry even in winter.

From there we evolved into the Defender 90 and Trailer that I built from a British Military Sankey. This allowed us to carry more, stay out longer and take our RTT off the Defender and mount it on the trailer. This style is great for base camp exploring and we used this set up in 2017 for 9 months travelling from Cyprus to the UK via Turkey, Nordkapp, most of Europe and Morocco. But this does have down sides including more expensive insurance and it held us back on some routes. Who wants to reverse back up a track for 2 miles with a short trailer. However we still managed Chris Scotts routes in the High Atlas Mountains and the deserts of Morocco including flooded river crossing and washed out mountain tracks.

From there we stayed with the Defender 90, fitted a hard shell RTT and fitted out the rear. The trip to Mongolia needed a different style as we would be moving more often and not base camp exploring and our experience on previous trips had allowed us to refine what we carried so space was good. Additionally though not ideal we designed the layout in the back to allow 2 of us to sleep inside in emergencies (We only needed it once on the Mongolia Trip).

On return to UK we found the Defender 90 set up like this was great in summer and spring but in Scottish Winters with longer dark nights it can be cold and damp living in awning.
So we looked at other options. A defender 110 fitted out with Pop Top etc was he ideal however the prices in the UK and around made these a very expensive option.

Having seen the Campers particularly 4wd VW Campers we met in Mongolia and Pamir we decided to look at this route.

We now have a VW T5 4motion with pop roof fitted out as a camper. This allows us to head out year round and although it will never match the likes of a Defender off road it will do 90% of the roads we encountered on the trips throughout Europe, Morocco and Mongolia with perhaps the exception of the Gobi Desert.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thanks for your detailed post, Dave. Yes, the evolution over time of why you change something about your vehicle setup or even switch to a new one, that's also very interesting.

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

It isnt about weahter or such, or about were to go. It is what you want to do with it.
Doing short trips with base camps requires something different as going on a expedition to the darkest africa.
Doing longer trips without a base camp is again something different.
If you like to go out and conquer challenges again different.

I think so many people way more posibilities. There is no rule of thumb for all of this. Do what you think is best for your situation.
Get advice, get experience and evolve. And as Dave said, sometimes you can afford to have the best of both worlds.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Exactly, there are many different approaches to many different forms of travel. And clearly many people would like to have a different setup when traveling in the polar regions of Europe in the winter than spending the whole summer in beautiful Sicily. That's what makes it so interesting and that's why it's great to see who has implemented which concept and how and why.

And to read and see the different motivations for this or that setup is especially great for beginners, because they get ideas and suggestions. That's why it's nice when members here in the forum show or describe how they travel and what they have built or rebuilt. Also for experienced travelers it is great to exchange ideas about the different setups and reasons for them, so that you have here and there new ideas for perhaps minor adjustments fpr your own setup afterwards.

Therefore, it would be great if more such contributions as Dave has written, for example, come together here.

Safe travels,
Bjoern