Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I encourage you to combine this with some of the other amazing trails in the area.

For example, leave Lake City on Engineer, see Animas Forks Ghost Town, continue over California + Hurricane + Corkscrew. Then choose between Ophir, Black Bear or Imogene to find yourselves at Telluride......

Reactions: GreenRemy and Downs

Sup3rrad

Rank V

Enthusiast I

Minneapolis, MN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Brennan
Member #

I encourage you to combine this with some of the other amazing trails in the area.

For example, leave Lake City on Engineer, see Animas Forks Ghost Town, continue over California + Hurricane + Corkscrew. Then choose between Ophir, Black Bear or Imogene to find yourselves at Telluride......
Ahhh that sounds like a good idea! Do you have any gpx you could send? That’d be greatly appreciated!

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
This chooses Imogene for the last leg: (created with Gaia so it may not be perfect)

Attachments

Reactions: Sup3rrad

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
This looks like a great way to go! Thanks for the info! Are there some good camping spots along the way?
The bulk of the camping on Engineer is on the east end towards Lake City.

From there I would try to get through Engineer, California, Hurricane and Corkscrew. Start watching for spots as you near the end of Corkscrew. There's one really good one before the end. Once you reach the end near Ironton Park there are several in the woods along various spur roads. If you leave the woods toward the highway there are several areas back to the left along the highway in the Ironton Park area. We had one black bear in camp in the wooded area due to food being left out. Last year at Ironton Park near the highway we had a moose and calf come through camp twice.

There are some camping spots on the Ouray side of Imogene. Once you get above tree line you're probably out of options until you finish the trail and get through Telluride. We sometimes camp along Last Dollar Rd when near Telluride. If you want a change of pace while in town, try the free gondola ride up to mountain village. Find the closest public parking area and hike the trail along the creek to get to the station.

Remind me as time gets closer and I'll try to get you more detailed info.

Sup3rrad

Rank V

Enthusiast I

Minneapolis, MN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Brennan
Member #

thanks for all the info!!!
The bulk of the camping on Engineer is on the east end towards Lake City.

From there I would try to get through Engineer, California, Hurricane and Corkscrew. Start watching for spots as you near the end of Corkscrew. There's one really good one before the end. Once you reach the end near Ironton Park there are several in the woods along various spur roads. If you leave the woods toward the highway there are several areas back to the left along the highway in the Ironton Park area. We had one black bear in camp in the wooded area due to food being left out. Last year at Ironton Park near the highway we had a moose and calf come through camp twice.

There are some camping spots on the Ouray side of Imogene. Once you get above tree line you're probably out of options until you finish the trail and get through Telluride. We sometimes camp along Last Dollar Rd when near Telluride. If you want a change of pace while in town, try the free gondola ride up to mountain village. Find the closest public parking area and hike the trail along the creek to get to the station.

Remind me as time gets closer and I'll try to get you more detailed info.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew