Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
While waiting for some various parts and pieces to arrive to begin assembling a solar generator and a portable diesel heater in a case, I made the mistake of looking through FB Marketplace. I wasn’t planning on pulling the trigger yet, but when opportunity knocks...

Picked up a 12V fridge/freezer combo. It’s a Ausranvik APR-35W. I probably would have passed on it but the whole “Like New-in box” description inspired me to reach out. Within an hour I had a response. “ Box opened, unit tested but never used...due to Covid lockdowns...”. Then the hook was skillfully set, “was $360 new, asking $260, cleaning out storage unit...”

We met, I offered $200, not expecting him to agree, then he said “Ok” not skipping a beat. So, now I’m nervous it may not work or something, but sure as I’m writing this he plugs it into his truck 12v plug and it fires right up! Then, as I’m loading it up, he hands me a folding stand for it.

It has a decent couple of reviews, so I am now the proud new owner of a 12v freezer/fridge combo. Sized great for road trips or camping. Woo-Hoo!

Attachments

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I've always used a cooler. Been camping for damn near 35 years. I always thought that fridges are neat for camping, but not really necessary if you're not going for weeks at a time....

Then I bought one about a year ago. Like others have said, it's a total game changer. As long is you can keep it powered, your food stays cold. And not soggy.

Now, there are lots of other considerations. How much food do you need, how are you going to power it, etc.

Congrats on the new fridge.

Reactions: 64Trvlr and lhoffm4

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Started to build a solar generator to power the fridge and other power needs while in the outback places. It is coming together nicely!

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
While waiting for some various parts and pieces to arrive to begin assembling a solar generator and a portable diesel heater in a case, I made the mistake of looking through FB Marketplace. I wasn’t planning on pulling the trigger yet, but when opportunity knocks...

Picked up a 12V fridge/freezer combo. It’s a Ausranvik APR-35W. I probably would have passed on it but the whole “Like New-in box” description inspired me to reach out. Within an hour I had a response. “ Box opened, unit tested but never used...due to Covid lockdowns...”. Then the hook was skillfully set, “was $360 new, asking $260, cleaning out storage unit...”

We met, I offered $200, not expecting him to agree, then he said “Ok” not skipping a beat. So, now I’m nervous it may not work or something, but sure as I’m writing this he plugs it into his truck 12v plug and it fires right up! Then, as I’m loading it up, he hands me a folding stand for it.

It has a decent couple of reviews, so I am now the proud new owner of a 12v freezer/fridge combo. Sized great for road trips or camping. Woo-Hoo!
I always used coolers until I went for a ICEPRO JP30 and I love mine. The first year I was using a 100AH AGM battery and it did pretty well. I recently installed a REDARC BCDC1225D and I have to tell you. Those two pieces of equipment have changed the whole game. Now I'm spoiled.

KS_Explorer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Reading, Lyon County, Kansas, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Lowery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0FEG
Started to build a solar generator to power the fridge and other power needs while in the outback places. It is coming together nicely!
I built the battery for mine in one of these battery boxes from NAPA https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_MTBA890 It had been great. I wish NAPA hadn't realize how awesome they are because they bumped the price up almost $20 since I bought mine.

200LC

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Henderson, NV, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Hord
Member #

KS_Explorer that is cool, wish I would have known about that before I purchased my 1000w Jackery would have saved a ton. what size battery fits in the box?

KS_Explorer

Rank IV

Advocate II

First Name
Robert
Last Name
Lowery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0FEG
I believe the biggest battery it will accept is group 34.

I have attached some photos of the LiFePO4 battery that I built. I have about $550 wrapped up in the project so far. (I bought premium LiFePO4 cells 4 or 5 years ago and prices were much higher.) I plan to integrate a solar charge controller at some point. Currently I have to connect solar panels to an external charge controller and then to the battery.

Attachments

Reactions: 64Trvlr and 200LC

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
KS_Explorer that is cool, wish I would have known about that before I purchased my 1000w Jackery would have saved a ton. what size battery fits in the box?
I have a 200ah bank in it now, with room for another easily. If I get creative with wiring, maybe a third. I wanted room for at least two banks.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I have a 200ah bank in it now, with room for another easily. If I get creative with wiring, maybe a third. I wanted room for at least two banks.
my bad, I only have one batt in my power box from Napa. I am redoing it into a Craftsman Versa-stack set of boxes. That will let the entire system to be modular and easier to transport and can be a much more versatile and scalable power generation system. I’m totally way too much into these projects but it’s fun AND useful!

KS_Explorer

Rank IV

Advocate II

First Name
Robert
Last Name
Lowery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0FEG
my bad, I only have one batt in my power box from Napa. I am redoing it into a Craftsman Versa-stack set of boxes. That will let the entire system to be modular and easier to transport and can be a much more versatile and scalable power generation system. I’m totally way too much into these projects but it’s fun AND useful!
I have read of a couple people doing something similar on DIY Solar Power Forum.

Reactions: lhoffm4

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
The stand is made by a company called Ablazer. It comes in a bag like a tent stake bag for ease of transport. Can be used for Coolers, luggage, etc. Mine came with the fridge when I bought it second-hand. I bought the insulated fridge cover separately. Truth be told I probably would NOT have bought the stand myself, but I DO love it as an accessory.

Reactions: 64Trvlr