Electrical Tools - which ones do you carry and why?

• HTML tutorial

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
I carry a multimeter, fuses, some jumpers , electrical tape ,extra wires , connectors , terminals and a crimper. I also carry a code reader.
Hi Kevin, Thanks for adding this tool most appreciated, Best wishes Amanda
A multimeter would need to top the list.
Some cables with alligator clips on each end are useful as you can bypass relays and switches.
OBD2 scanner (does that count as electric?).

I also carry a crimper and lugs that suit "my vehicle", spare fuses and cable.
For one of my older vehicles, I also carry an ECU simply because it's small, and I have one.
Hi Randall, Thanks for adding this tool most appreciated, Best wishes Amanda

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
I carry a multimeter, fuses, some jumpers , electrical tape ,extra wires , connectors , terminals and a crimper. I also carry a code reader.
Hi Michael, Thanks for adding this tool most appreciated, Best wishes Amanda

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Knowledge is a tool.. so being an electrician I would recommend some basic knowledge in electrical.. the diff between AC and DC how and why fuses work how to calculate your needs how heat effects wire.. etc.. you tube is a great resource. Just my two cents. Could save you from a fire knowing some basics..
Hi Daniel, Well said and solid advice, I am currently planning a trip to visit several Redarc Outfitters in October and November in order to find a qualified and experianced electrician as I want someone to do the job right as I dont wont my Tiny Overland House to burn down. I want to visit installers and see how they work and their facilities, I want to see how organised and neat they operate their shops. I dont want to take chances where electrical, Gas or Propane is concerned, I acan do a lot of other things myself to save money but two things I always leave to the professionals in my Bricks & sticks and thats Electrical and Gas. Also i want to make sure that they are insured and have liability insurance incase the unimaginable did ever happen.

I have a basic understanding of electrics as the Ham Foundation Licence makes sure you know the basics before issuing amature Radio Licences. I have spent many an hour on You Tube its a great resource to see and hear peoples experiances. What is your favorite Electrical Tool in your tool kit and why? Best wishes Amanda

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
The only thing different from a standard multimeter is the amp meter. To get the current rating you just put the positive wire through the clamps and it will show current. For everything else it still has the probes, and a great feature is there is a probe holder in one of the clamps and a readout on the front and bottom of the device to make it easier to get readings.
Hi Beau,

Thanks for clarifying and explaining. Best wishes Amanda

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
I carry pretty much everything everyone else has mentioned, plus a soldering iron. The small irons will run off any cheap 100w inverter. I had one that plugged directly into a 12v port before I had a vehicle with a factory inverter. I've used it to booger weld a plastic gas cap back together, burn screw holes through a piece of ratchet strap to repair a rooftop tent, and soldered in the snow to fix some LED lights.

View attachment 239754
Great Photo, working out on the trail, love that you are using the back of a frying pan!

• Haha
Reactions: Kevin108

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Portable jumpstart box. For you or others so that you don’t have to pack around cables….
This was the 1st thing I ever bought for my truck and its paid me back several times over. At the time in 2018 I went with the NOCO brand as this was recommended to me by multiple people, including @Michael.

NOCO-GB150-Boost-Pro-3000A-Jump-Start-9L-Gas-Engines.jpg

So I figured if it was good enough for him it would serve me well, so thanks @Michael

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM - KN6TKY & GMRS - WRQT727
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
Knowledge is a tool.. so being an electrician I would recommend some basic knowledge in electrical.. the diff between AC and DC how and why fuses work how to calculate your needs how heat effects wire.. etc.. you tube is a great resource. Just my two cents. Could save you from a fire knowing some basics..
Hi Daniel, Well said and solid advice, I am currently planning a trip to visit several Redarc Outfitters in October and November in order to find a qualified and experianced electrician as I want someone to do the job right as I dont wont my Tiny Overland House to burn down. I want to visit installers and see how they work and their facilities, I want to see how organised and neat they operate their shops. I dont want to take chances where electrical, Gas or Propane is concerned, I acan do a lot of other things myself to save money but two things I always leave to the professionals in my Bricks & sticks and thats Electrical and Gas. Also i want to make sure that they are insured and have liability insurance incase the unimaginable did ever happen.

I have a basic understanding of electrics as the Ham Foundation Licence makes sure you know the basics before issuing amature Radio Licences. I have spent many an hour on You Tube its a great resource to see and hear peoples experiances. What is your favorite Electrical Tool in your tool kit and why? Best wishes Amanda
A good pair of wire strippers and crimpers first because a poorly stripped wire and bad crimp is where everything falls apart. Lol seeing people strip wire with random tools or knifes and crimp with pliers makes me nervous.. :)

Reactions: Amanda C

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM - KN6TKY & GMRS - WRQT727
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
Portable jumpstart box. For you or others so that you don’t have to pack around cables….
Yep NOCO for the win here also!
This was the 1st thing I ever bought for my truck and its paid me back several times over. At the time in 2018 I went with the NOCO brand as this was recommended to me by multiple people, including @Michael.

View attachment 239966

So I figured if it was good enough for him it would serve me well, so thanks @Michael

Last edited:

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Everything stated above but instead of a standard ODBII reader we use AutoEnginuity which connects to our laptop. That allows us to run injector buzz tests etc. and also record ECM output while we are underway as needed. We also carry both an AntiGravity XP10 Micro Start and a set of jumper cables. Our bin of spares include, 12v and USB replacement outlets, a couple sensors for the van (CPS etc), spare bulbs, fuses, several different gauges of wire, connectors, shrink-wrap, and everything else we had to pick up along the way. We do carry a heat gun but do not have a big enough inverter to power it, I never mastered the lighter shrink wrap method, and usually make a field repair and do a proper repair once we are off the trail and in an official campground (or now at a house). We also carry a drill and have used it to install 12v outlets for others while on the road since we carry the bit that matches most 12v single outlets and we carried quite a few 12v outlets as spares since we bought a case...made many people happy by just giving them away (usually installing it for them) as we met those that had a need. We built out our van ourselves, including all of the electrical, so it's something we feel comfortable with.

Reactions: rtexpeditions

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Everything stated above but instead of a standard ODBII reader we use AutoEnginuity which connects to our laptop. That allows us to run injector buzz tests etc. and also record ECM output while we are underway as needed. We also carry both an AntiGravity XP10 Micro Start and a set of jumper cables. Our bin of spares include, 12v and USB replacement outlets, a couple sensors for the van (CPS etc), spare bulbs, fuses, several different gauges of wire, connectors, shrink-wrap, and everything else we had to pick up along the way. We do carry a heat gun but do not have a big enough inverter to power it, I never mastered the lighter shrink wrap method, and usually make a field repair and do a proper repair once we are off the trail and in an official campground (or now at a house). We also carry a drill and have used it to install 12v outlets for others while on the road since we carry the bit that matches most 12v single outlets and we carried quite a few 12v outlets as spares since we bought a case...made many people happy by just giving them away (usually installing it for them) as we met those that had a need. We built out our van ourselves, including all of the electrical, so it's something we feel comfortable with.
Hi John & Mandi, welcome to the Overland Tool section, great to hear how your electrical kit is helping others and I also enjoyed reading your About Bio in your profile, great spirit and I think what you did was amazing, the Alaska to Argentina is one of many trips I wish to do and my goal is to embark on it when I turn 60!

Who knows maybe I will be ready before then and having knowledgable members on the forum is priceless.

I will be passing through Tennesee early December 2022 heading back to base camp in Oshawa after a 3 month US trip starting 20th September it would be lovely to meet you both if you are up for a coffee or a trail!

Best wishes

Amanda

Reactions: John and Mandi

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Hi John & Mandi, welcome to the Overland Tool section, great to hear how your electrical kit is helping others and I also enjoyed reading your About Bio in your profile, great spirit and I think what you did was amazing, the Alaska to Argentina is one of many trips I wish to do and my goal is to embark on it when I turn 60!

Who knows maybe I will be ready before then and having knowledgable members on the forum is priceless.

I will be passing through Tennesee early December 2022 heading back to base camp in Oshawa after a 3 month US trip starting 20th September it would be lovely to meet you both if you are up for a coffee or a trail!

Best wishes

Amanda
Thanks Amanda!

Driving the Americas was the best experience of our lives...so far. One day we may make a loop of Africa but we have to refund first. We will be moving Thanksgiving weekend and we're not sure where yet. Stay in touch so we can connect if our schedules permit it. At minimum, please feel free to ask us any questions you may have.

Reactions: El-Dracho

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Thanks Amanda!

Driving the Americas was the best experience of our lives...so far. One day we may make a loop of Africa but we have to refund first. We will be moving Thanksgiving weekend and we're not sure where yet. Stay in touch so we can connect if our schedules permit it. At minimum, please feel free to ask us any questions you may have.
Hi John & Mandi, Thanks for the reply, I will add you to my list of following and get in touch if and when I get closer, also if I am passing through another time, maybe we can meet up for a coffee or trail.

Best wishes with planning for Africa.

Have a lovely Thanks Giving weekend.

Amanda

Reactions: John and Mandi

GBourne

Rank I

Contributor III

Surprise, AZ, USA
First Name
Grant
Last Name
Bourne
Service Branch
U.S. Marine
Fluke multimeter

power probe 3

jumper leads

crimpers (Molex, and multiple open barrel sizes)

strippers (midget and regular)

Lithium jump pack

Reactions: Sparksalot