Electrical system w/ 120v inverter diy?

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast I

Puerto Rico
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Figueroa
So im thinking of using a redac kit for off grid and getting a renogy battery, and getting a redac inverter, but im not sure what other options are out there that might be cheaper solution?

My goal is to have a 12 v power source (or two) with 120 v for anything else like a hand tool charger or lights for the camp, i dont intend to use the 120 v for fridge or stove or coffee maker.

Thanks guys(and gals)

Dave in AZ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Mac
Here. Read this basic primer on a basic system.

Redarc is good, but very expensive.
Batteries are almost a commodity now. That same site I just gave, Will Prowse, tears down and reviews Batteries all the time, and he gives a list of recommended components for your build that he has tested and tore down.

I would avoid renogy, though their Batteries aren't bad, but you can get a good LiTime or Redodo 100Ah 12.8v LiFePO4 12v for $230 or less.

There are thousands of threads on 2nd battery mobile overland builds. Don't start picking your components before you have a complete design, wiring diagram, and MOST IMPORTANTLY you have filled out an energy audit with all the actual no-guesswork loads you will run.

If all you use 120v for is tool Batteries, a 600W inverter is fine but too weak for much else.
Lights are LED and are 12-24v dc, not ac.
Fridges are 12-24v dc, not ac. The fact you listed them as ac loads, tells me you haven't actually spent any time at all looking at your actual loads and usage. That's like asking people to comment on " need transportation, maybe bicycle, maybe Ram 2500, what do you think?" Its just a waste of everyone's time to get specific yet.

So, go over to that link to Will Prowse's DIYmobilesolar I gave you, then read his basics links. Then maybe watch his YouTube basics series. And you won't get better parts recommended than his probably.

In general, Victron are the best "just work right" parts, expensive. Renogy are the cheapest, and break a lot, lot of issues posted, zero customer service.

Parts needed-- these all come as standalone, or as various 2 or 3 fuction combos. Standalone easier to replace or fix, maybe more space and cost.

Power sources--
1.Dc dc charger from starter battery/alternator.
2. Solar, need an mppt solar charge controller, SCC. Specs depend on system.
2A. Solar panels, specs depend on system, amount depends on your energy audit and fit
3. Ac batterycharging, need a good ac charger that does right 3 or 4 step voltages at right amps for your batteries.

Storage--
1. LIFEPO4 12V batteries. Low temp charge protection maybe, heated maybe, depends on your use.

AC 120v inverter--
Sized depending on your ac loads, how much parasitic piwer it wastes, and what your battery setup can support for amps flow. Can also get ac charger/inverter combos.
400W-- toy for charging cordless batteries.
600W same
1000W-- min for most truck camping setups. Can do small elec kettle, or an INVERTER MICROWAVE ( not normal one, but better power use and $119 or so)
1500W-- min for running normal size electric kettle or small microwave, some weak induction burners etc.

You can get pretty inexpensive if all you actually need is to charge battery packs. And renogy makes a combo ac charger, dcdc charger, solar mppt scc, if you want low cost and can risk all sources breaking at once.
Good luck, hope that helps, come post more when you can give better system needs.

Dave in AZ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Mac
So im thinking of using a redac kit for off grid and getting a renogy battery, and getting a redac inverter, but im not sure what other options are out there that might be cheaper solution?

My goal is to have a 12 v power source (or two) with 120 v for anything else like a hand tool charger or lights for the camp, i dont intend to use the 120 v for fridge or stove or coffee maker.

Thanks guys(and gals)
Oh, and here is the minimalist system that might work for you if your needs are actually as low as you hinted:

Enthusiast I

Puerto Rico
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Figueroa
Here. Read this basic primer on a basic system.

Redarc is good, but very expensive.
Batteries are almost a commodity now. That same site I just gave, Will Prowse, tears down and reviews Batteries all the time, and he gives a list of recommended components for your build that he has tested and tore down.

I would avoid renogy, though their Batteries aren't bad, but you can get a good LiTime or Redodo 100Ah 12.8v LiFePO4 12v for $230 or less.

There are thousands of threads on 2nd battery mobile overland builds. Don't start picking your components before you have a complete design, wiring diagram, and MOST IMPORTANTLY you have filled out an energy audit with all the actual no-guesswork loads you will run.

If all you use 120v for is tool Batteries, a 600W inverter is fine but too weak for much else.
Lights are LED and are 12-24v dc, not ac.
Fridges are 12-24v dc, not ac. The fact you listed them as ac loads, tells me you haven't actually spent any time at all looking at your actual loads and usage. That's like asking people to comment on " need transportation, maybe bicycle, maybe Ram 2500, what do you think?" Its just a waste of everyone's time to get specific yet.

So, go over to that link to Will Prowse's DIYmobilesolar I gave you, then read his basics links. Then maybe watch his YouTube basics series. And you won't get better parts recommended than his probably.

In general, Victron are the best "just work right" parts, expensive. Renogy are the cheapest, and break a lot, lot of issues posted, zero customer service.

Parts needed-- these all come as standalone, or as various 2 or 3 fuction combos. Standalone easier to replace or fix, maybe more space and cost.

Power sources--
1.Dc dc charger from starter battery/alternator.
2. Solar, need an mppt solar charge controller, SCC. Specs depend on system.
2A. Solar panels, specs depend on system, amount depends on your energy audit and fit
3. Ac batterycharging, need a good ac charger that does right 3 or 4 step voltages at right amps for your batteries.

Storage--
1. LIFEPO4 12V batteries. Low temp charge protection maybe, heated maybe, depends on your use.

AC 120v inverter--
Sized depending on your ac loads, how much parasitic piwer it wastes, and what your battery setup can support for amps flow. Can also get ac charger/inverter combos.
400W-- toy for charging cordless batteries.
600W same
1000W-- min for most truck camping setups. Can do small elec kettle, or an INVERTER MICROWAVE ( not normal one, but better power use and $119 or so)
1500W-- min for running normal size electric kettle or small microwave, some weak induction burners etc.

You can get pretty inexpensive if all you actually need is to charge battery packs. And renogy makes a combo ac charger, dcdc charger, solar mppt scc, if you want low cost and can risk all sources breaking at once.
Good luck, hope that helps, come post more when you can give better system needs.
Should have been more specific, i apologize,
I will post back when i have a better energy plan, also i mean like Christmas lights (led ones) that i can hang around the camp site, not the hard wired 12 v ones

Enthusiast I

Puerto Rico
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Figueroa
Oh, and here is the minimalist system that might work for you if your needs are actually as low as you hinted:

This would be almost perfect, only difference is i want it to charge my aux battery while i drive and also have the capability to put solar, thats why i likes the redac

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I will second Will Prouse as a good source of information and breaks it down very well to be undstanabke for beginners. As far as getting a less expensive system than redarc that should be very easy. BUT a system that is of the quality of redarc or Victron you likely wont be able to do much cheaper.

If you are looking at using an inverter there is a constant draw that you will have as well as the energy inefficiency. The higher quality pure sine wave inveters are going to be more efficient and have lower constant draw. With that run the inverter as little as possible to conserve batteries.

An example: my victron inverter is about 12w of a constant draw, so over night the inverter alone will take about 12ah of battery, or 24ah per day. Doesnt sound like much but everything adds up. The more you can run off 12v the more efficient your battery use will be. I use my inverter now for coffee and the occasion charging of the dewalt batteries for tools. Other than that i have moved everything to DC (Laptop, monitor, etc since I work remote) and there is a noticeable difference in battery consumption.

Enthusiast I

Puerto Rico
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Figueroa
I will second Will Prouse as a good source of information and breaks it down very well to be undstanabke for beginners. As far as getting a less expensive system than redarc that should be very easy. BUT a system that is of the quality of redarc or Victron you likely wont be able to do much cheaper.

If you are looking at using an inverter there is a constant draw that you will have as well as the energy inefficiency. The higher quality pure sine wave inveters are going to be more efficient and have lower constant draw. With that run the inverter as little as possible to conserve batteries.

An example: my victron inverter is about 12w of a constant draw, so over night the inverter alone will take about 12ah of battery, or 24ah per day. Doesnt sound like much but everything adds up. The more you can run off 12v the more efficient your battery use will be. I use my inverter now for coffee and the occasion charging of the dewalt batteries for tools. Other than that i have moved everything to DC (Laptop, monitor, etc since I work remote) and there is a noticeable difference in battery consumption.
Thank you, i was looking around and the price seems to be about the same all around, but the quality is the factor, i liked the remote mount on off switch from redac inverter but i dont need a 1000w but i guess some times for good stuff you need to swallow it and pay up.

About the DC i agree fully, and that is what i plan to use mostly

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force

Thank you, i was looking around and the price seems to be about the same all around, but the quality is the factor, i liked the remote mount on off switch from redac inverter but i dont need a 1000w but i guess some times for good stuff you need to swallow it and pay up.

About the DC i agree fully, and that is what i plan to use mostly
Most of them will have remote mount and victron (redarc might to) have bluetooth models that you can control everything from you phone or tablet. You can also do the systemt manager (for victron this is the Cerbo GX) that gives a lot of information and control. It really depends on budget, and what you are really looking to do/get out of the system. If you just want something. for weekend trips and dont need too much to it you can jusg piece together some panels, change controller, batteries and a small inverter and be good.

Enthusiast I

Puerto Rico
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Figueroa
Most of them will have remote mount and victron (redarc might to) have bluetooth models that you can control everything from you phone or tablet. You can also do the systemt manager (for victron this is the Cerbo GX) that gives a lot of information and control. It really depends on budget, and what you are really looking to do/get out of the system. If you just want something. for weekend trips and dont need too much to it you can jusg piece together some panels, change controller, batteries and a small inverter and be good.
Pretty much its what i plan, nice long weekends but nothing crazy long, just have ocd and want everything flush and hidden away, so putting something together my self and hoping it works with each one is my biggest fear, that would mean hours of troubleshooting

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Pretty much its what i plan, nice long weekends but nothing crazy long, just have ocd and want everything flush and hidden away, so putting something together my self and hoping it works with each one is my biggest fear, that would mean hours of troubleshooting
My recommendation would be stick with a brand and go with it. Do the reseach, figure out placement and wiring then if its something you feel you can do go for it. Many fo the systems are pretty staright forward to wire up and doing the research you will be abke to find the right wires, connectors, outlets etc.

Dave in AZ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Mac
@Caribbean-snowfox
I agree w @K12 . Stick with a brand to work together best. Redarc is very good, as is victron. They both have a combo dcdc charger plus mppt SCC, to replace the Renogy one in this setup below.
Here is Wills schematic for a small mobile system with alternator charging then: