Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Did you actually read my second sentence? Your mathematical argument is sound, based upon current technology, ( pun intended) The ICE is twice as efficient as it was 50 years ago. You don’t think that EVs will become more efficient and increase their MPWatts?
Yes, I read your entire post. To answer your question: No, I don't expect a huge step-change in electric drivetrain efficiency. To be clear, I am specifically referring to the power use of the drivetrain, not storage. The first electric cars in the US were built in the 1890s. Electric motors have been heavily used in all sorts of industries for well over a century, just like ICE. In fact, nearly every train you've ever seen moving around the country (or world) are driven by electric motors, and have been for decades and decades. There has been just as much incentive to improve electric motor efficiency for just as long (or longer) than ICE. I am not saying we won't see *some* improvement in electric motor efficiency, but I am saying it won't be drastic. The other biggest factors for power use will be aero, where I don't think there is any room for transformative change and weight (which matters much less rolling at a sustained speed, but certainly still impactful for "Overlanding" type driving). With battery tech there might be some room for improvement in weight. Now, I certainly could be wrong, and somebody will come up with a propulsion system outside of anything we know or understand. But that will be a new thing, not an improvement to EVs. Storage density is the thing that *could* make self-sustained EV Overlanding possible, not solar or electric motor improvements.

-TJ

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Yep, either a dramatic change in battery tech, or some form of onboard power generation, either a fuel cell, a micro reactor, what ever..
The only way I can see a solar powered vehicle is if they manage to make it same size as it is now, but maybe max 200 pounds, with all the gear on it. :)

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

I'm looking forward to the day when the energy manufacturers recognize the value in a standardized battery system for all - then, instead of parking at Target to recharge, you pull into an "energy station", pull out your low battery and pick up a freshly charged battery - and then get an extra one just in case you run low....

#YouMaySayImADreamer

Reactions: Ubiety

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I took delivery today so let the electric adventures begin ⚡
What are your thoughts and impressions after owning the Rivian for a month? It’s an interesting looking truck. I saw one at the charging station in early July and did a little bit of research on the Rivian web sight, and by the numbers it looks to be a very neat rig in concept. I like that it was designed with Overlanding/mild off road as it’s main use. What I didn’t like was that it takes so long to charge in 110v. I don’t have access to 220/240v.

Reactions: DosTacos

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Reactions: WTSMatt

Walkers

Rank III

Advocate I

Cave Creek, AZ, USA
First Name
Benn
Last Name
Quadineros
Yep, either a dramatic change in battery tech, or some form of onboard power generation, either a fuel cell, a micro reactor, what ever..
The only way I can see a solar powered vehicle is if they manage to make it same size as it is now, but maybe max 200 pounds, with all the gear on it. :)
Don’t forget that Mr Fusion is in our future.

DosTacos

Rank VI

Influencer I

Pflugerville, TX, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
West
Member #

I took delivery today so let the electric adventures begin ⚡
What are your thoughts and impressions after owning the Rivian for a month? It’s an interesting looking truck. I saw one at the charging station in early July and did a little bit of research on the Rivian web sight, and by the numbers it looks to be a very neat rig in concept. I like that it was designed with Overlanding/mild off road as it’s main use. What I didn’t like was that it takes so long to charge in 110v. I don’t have access to 220/240v.
So far it's been pretty awesome. I took it to Colorado and did the Alpine Loop and a few other trails and it handled everything like a champ. There's no getting around the long charging time on 110v. It's a big battery and really needs a 220v to charge in a reasonable amount of time. If there's a fast charger near you, you could leverage that. Hotels often have free charging also. There's also RV parks, which I had to leverage on my first trip to rural south Texas .
Edit to add: one of my favorite things was the way the suspension absorbed washboard roads. I never felt them. It was unlike anything I've ever ridden in. Definitely bougie

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: M Rose and Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
So far it's been pretty awesome. I took it to Colorado and did the Alpine Loop and a few other trails and it handled everything like a champ. There's no getting around the long charging time on 110v. It's a big battery and really needs a 220v to charge in a reasonable amount of time. If there's a fast charger near you, you could leverage that. Hotels often have free charging also. There's also RV parks, which I had to leverage on my first trip to rural south Texas .
Edit to add: one of my favorite things was the way the suspension absorbed washboard roads. I never felt them. It was unlike anything I've ever ridden in. Definitely bougie
Is it the Rivian that has a storage "channel" from front to back to allow for long boards? If so you have one of the best T4 haulers around! ;)

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
This is the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear… we have one quick charge station in town… unfortunately none of our RV parks here have 220… I know because I had to convert mine to 110 after I built it for 220.

Reactions: DosTacos

DosTacos

Rank VI

Influencer I

Pflugerville, TX, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
West
Member #

Is it the Rivian that has a storage "channel" from front to back to allow for long boards? If so you have one of the best T4 haulers around! ;)
You're thinking of the Bollinger B1&2. They had the tunnel that went from bumper to bumper. Pretty cool idea in my opinion but unfortunately they suspended production to focus on delivery trucks due to the lack of interest from the consumer market. The Rivian is more suited for RTT and they actually offer one from Tepui as an option. I went with the iKamper though because I wanted a hard shell tent. That said, the Rivian does have a "Gear Tunnel" behind the rear doors that offers a storage space from side to side. Your question got me to wondering if a T4 would fit, given how long they are so I had to find out for myself. I threw my Gazelle T4 in there just to see and it's tight but definitely fits.

Attachments

DosTacos

Rank VI

Influencer I

Pflugerville, TX, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
West
Member #

A friend's mother wandered off of her Tesla's pre-planned route on a long trip and got to spend some extra time at a hotel plugged into 110.
That sucks. Having crossed West TX and New Mexico on my way to Colorado, I know the anxiety of not having access to 220. On my route I planned a backup charger for every stop and then had a backup to my backup just in case. I actually had to use this in Lubbock because the one fast charger they had was broken and the "Backup" Ford dealership was using theirs to charge a couple Lightnings they had just got in. Thankfullly the Audi dealership down the street had a charger but it added an hour to my charge time, which was a bummer. Range anxiety is real until the charging infrastructure catches up. I recognize I'm an early adopter though and expect a few bumps and bruises along the way. My hope is that I can help pave the way for others that may be interested in using an EV for short overlanding trips (<1 week in the field).

DosTacos

Rank VI

Influencer I

Pflugerville, TX, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
West
Member #

This is the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear… we have one quick charge station in town… unfortunately none of our RV parks here have 220… I know because I had to convert mine to 110 after I built it for 220.
That's wild. I can't imagine an RV park without 220V. I thought most RVs and travel trailers needed 30 or 50A connections.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That's wild. I can't imagine an RV park without 220V. I thought most RVs and travel trailers needed 30 or 50A connections.
30 amp RV is 110, not 220… and yes most RVs need a 30 amp… The only time a 50 amp service is used in manufacturing the RV is when there are two AC units.

TrailHawkZ71

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Howard-Dale
Member #

I'm looking forward to the day when the energy manufacturers recognize the value in a standardized battery system for all - then, instead of parking at Target to recharge, you pull into an "energy station", pull out your low battery and pick up a freshly charged battery - and then get an extra one just in case you run low....

#YouMaySayImADreamer
The Chinese actually are working on this. The construction equipment company I used to work for (XCMG) has a factory that builds semi trucks; they have full-electric trucks in China and NZ in service with customers that pull onto a gantry-like platform, it removes the old battery, drops a new one in it's place, and the truck drives away.