Electric Coolers

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Reynolds
After searching through some old threads here for information, I have some questions for those who have electric coolers. I am looking to buy something in the 40-50L range in regard to space and freezing things isn't a big deal to me. I would like to own this for awhile so reliability will be important as well.
There seems to be a big disparity in price on these....some above $1K and others under $200. There is no way will go over 1K for a cooler no matter how amazing it claims to be. With that said, are there quality electric coolers that are cheaper? I have had my eye on IceCo for some time. But in terms of brands, the only ones that I consistently run across are IceCo and Dometic. Any help would be appreciated!

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

I've been looking at these for a while now. Nice thing about them is you get pretty much ALL of the space for your stuff, versus losing 1/2 to 2/3 for (melting) ice. However, you will need a good power source.

From what I've learned, and I'm no expert, Engel and Dometic are at the top of the line and are most expensive. ICECO seems to use the same compressors as Dometic (SECOP) and I've heard are very efficient as well. My 4Runner friends also recommend Alpicool as a cheaper alternative. Remember, you want something that uses as little power as possible. I've heard the SECOP compressors are really good at this, coming on only when needed. A Gulf Yeti or Jackery battery would probably be a necessary investment along with your fridge.

I think Dometic is running a 15% off sale at the moment. Expect one from ICECO as well for summer.

Reactions: Johnreynolds10

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have a Wynter 65L and love it... it’s very quiet (I forget I even have it running). It keeps cold for several days after being unplugged. And it consumes very little power. When I was looking last year at electric coolers I started asking the Long Haul Truck Drivers what they were using... most (out here at least) recommended either Dometic or Wynter.

Reactions: cgranier

Enthusiast I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Reynolds
Thanks for all the recommendations. Makes me realize how many coolers there are out there. I would love one that could stay cool while it is unplugged for a day or so. I appreciate all the help.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
This one on amazon looks really good actually! If that was there when I bought ours, I would have bought that one. This one has a light in it and everything where as mine does not.

Reactions: Johnreynolds10