• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Hunter
Last Name
Swan
Hey guys,

Pretty new here, and still starting to get involved with the community.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any easy to moderate trails to run in the Texas area? I have a 2019 Toyota highlander thats completely stock, so its not super capable-although it does have about 8 inches of ground clearance and pretty good articulation .

So basically, im wondering if anyone has any lines on any trails / routes / trips that I can travel with my family and our semi useful truck.

Looking forward to getting out there and starting to take this offroad.

Thanks guys!

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Several of us ran a few variations of the hill country loop last winter and spring. The flowers were gorgeous in March.

we also scouted some other possible weekend trips in the hill country for the fall after the sun quits trying to kill us.

you can read more about it here. I think theres a link to the gps files at the end of the article.

Reactions: ThePullOutside

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Don’t go after significant rain fall the stream crossings are subject to flash flooding. A few days after some decent rain, and many of the roads will be a bit muddy And the dust is still down.

domingitty

Rank I

Enthusiast I

San Marcos, TX, USA
First Name
Domingo
Last Name
Cruz
This looks interesting, I may have to do this soon.
Just got back from this one. You will NOT be disappointed. It would have been better if I didn't have COVID currently. I would've loved to have grabbed lunch in Fredericksburg. Was certainly better than staying home though. And don't worry guys, only time I got near people was filling up on gas, but I was wearing my mask and I wiped down the handle after. After that, it was just me and the road. (And a buddy, but he was in a different car and was pretty far away from me when we weren't)

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Awesome! Should be able to do it with the family truckster then!

Now I just need to figure out a time for the family and I to get out there.
You're probably overbuilt for the vast majority of Texas. Unless you are in an OHV park pretty much all of Texas is accessible (the public parts anyway which there aren't many) via a stock vehicle.

Several of us ran a few variations of the hill country loop last winter and spring. The flowers were gorgeous in March.

we also scouted some other possible weekend trips in the hill country for the fall after the sun quits trying to kill us.

you can read more about it here. I think theres a link to the gps files at the end of the article.

The Hill County area is starting to get a little crazy as far as popularity for "overlanding" type stuff. There was recently a 75 vehicle deep group out there that was part of some RAM Club.

The reality is you are in Texas. Only 4.6 percent of the state is public lands and a very small percentage of that is accessible to motorized vehicles. Outside of OHV areas there isn't really a lot of "Off roading" and pretty much all of the Overland style routes such as TEAT and what not consist of normal public, paved, and graded gravel and dirt roads. If you are looking for semi challenging terrain that's not a OHV park (and there's not a lot of those here either) you're going to have to point your compass out of state. New Mexico, Eastern Oklahoma, and Arkansas are going to be your closest best bets. The further west you go the better it gets.

Here's a picture of the HIll County crap show of RAM trucks. This illustrates the dangers of being to loose lipped with GPS routes and waypoints. I love to share stuff with people but then sometimes you get crap like this.

ram trucks.jpg

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
A small group of us were out a month ago and an entourage of at least 20 jeeps passed us the other direction. That was an unwieldy size. Doing 75 is beyond ludicrous.

Reactions: Downs

prcjeep

Rank I

Member I

Rockport, TX, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
C
Member #

We planned to do this loop last spring and put it off due to moving south to Rockport. Still on our list though.

Anyone know of any routes around the Corpus Area other than PINS?

Reactions: RickR