First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
64211471_2546540932037043_6932871492635983872_o.jpg

Anyone heading away for the long weekend.

We will be up near Aviemore, Scotland staying at the Dalraddy Campsite, in the woodland pitches where it can feel kind of wild but with electricity and proper toilets.
The weather will dictate much of what we will be up to but it will include lots of walks around the area, mountain biking and we have the paddle boards.

If you are in the vicinity then feel free to drop me a message and we can meet up for a chat over Coffee, Beer or Toffee Vodka ;-)

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Unfortunately staying at home, but for an overland related reason - new roof tent being fitted and a revamp of solar power and Starlink wiring.
Cool. What RTT did you choose? And you run Starlink on the rig? What are your experiences with it?

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Cool. What RTT did you choose? And you run Starlink on the rig? What are your experiences with it?
Changing from the fold out Tentco we've had for years (and it's still good for a few more - likely to end up on our son's LR S3 109) to a hard shell electric - because I'm getting too old :tearsofjoy: to clamber about on the roof messing around with straps and covers etc... so gone for another South African make, an electric Bundutop with an annex

Starlink is a game changer. I work from home as an engineering consultant most of the time. Have worked on the road in the past, but always been reliant on decent cellular signals, or picking up free wifi. Starlink does away with all that and I have fast (100Mbps and above sometimes) internet as long as there's a reasonable view of a clear sky. It'll moan about there being obstructions, but it will drag enough signal in for most things, we don't spend hours streaming video or games - it's a working tool, so the hardest thing it needs to cope with is dragging documents to and from the cloud and the occasional Teams meeting. A highlight last years trip out to Greece was being able to watch the Queen's funeral up in the mountains of NW Greece, no cellular, no overhead obstructions and a download speed of over 100Mbps.
Last photo was on a campsite in France on the way home - despite being partly obscured by trees, I still managed a Teams meeting.
IMG_4617 (1).PNG IMG_4620 (1).jpg IMG_4619 (1).jpgIMG_5911 (1).jpg

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thanks for sharing your experience with Starlink and the pictures. Have fun this weekend assembling the roof tent.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Unfortunately staying at home, but for an overland related reason - new roof tent being fitted and a revamp of solar power and Starlink wiring.
Love to see the photos of the Starlink System once set up and even better if you could give some real world experience and costs.
For remote travel it is the future if you need comms and internet access allowing those who work on the road the ability to travel even further afield.

Reactions: nickburt

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Love to see the photos of the Starlink System once set up and even better if you could give some real world experience and costs.
For remote travel it is the future if you need comms and internet access allowing those who work on the road the ability to travel even further afield.
I'll put something together in the next few days.

Reactions: El-Dracho

WoodcockFamilyOverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Shropshire, UK
First Name
Daryll
Last Name
Woodcock
Member #

View attachment 254313

We will be up near Aviemore, Scotland staying at the Dalraddy Campsite, in the woodland pitches where it can feel kind of wild but with electricity and proper toilets.
The weather will dictate much of what we will be up to but it will include lots of walks around the area, mountain biking and we have the paddle boards.

If you are in the vicinity then feel free to drop me a message and we can meet up for a chat over Coffee, Beer or Toffee Vodka ;-)
We are off to the Peak District this weekend!

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
View attachment 254313

We are off to the Peak District this weekend!
Are you just going yourselves, any laning ?

Frontal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Woodbury, Exeter, UK
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Voisey
Member #

Not up to much this weekend apart from getting the vehicle ready for our trip to Morocco in two weeks time.

Traction boards and extra fuel tanks already back on along with the rear storage unit.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Have a look here :sunglasses: