Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

It’s been a bit of a wild year. One that has moved pretty quickly, and now we find ourselves in homestretch. With the holidays arriving, and schedules turning from time away in the woods to celebrations with family and friends, we have a brief moment to breath and reflect on what we’ve done this year before we turn to what we are planning for the next. We have some pretty big things coming to the East. The next few months are going to be a bit of a slog for those of us putting the 3 main events together. So bear with us as response times may be a little slower, photo contests late (I’ll get em up on time one of these days) and in general, we retreat a little to spend time with our families.

Announcements:

1. We have added two Assistant Ambassadors:
The short story goes like this: Michael, in discussion with the rest of the ambassadors, realized that the Ambassador role was a bit much for one person to handle on their own as the regions grow in membership. It was decided that there would remain only one Ambassador per region, but that ambassadors can have assistants as needed. We are still hammering out some of the details, and there will most certainly be more than two assistants in the East in the future (our membership over here has exploded). My goal is, as the region grows, that each state will have an assistant. This will be a somewhat drawn out process but as we fill in the gaps with the role more assistants will likely be brought into the fold.

The two new Assistant Ambassadors are Drew Hawley (@Wawa Skittletits) of Pennsylvania and Sean Haney (@hankoutdoors) of New York. Thanks guys for volunteering your time in this role. It’s fairly intense and time consuming and we appreciate your efforts.

2. OTG is coming to the East:
If you watched Michael’s latest AMA, you probably saw him mention ‘Off the Grid Rally East’. This is not a false alarm. The wildly popular event on the west coast (sells out in hours) is coming to the East Region. We don’t have a lot of details yet. The expected location is West Virginia and it will likely fall in early June. We will keep you informed as details are made available.

3. East Region Events:
We are working on two events, not including OTG. One spring and one fall. These should not be the only events going on, so if you are planning a big (or small) meetup, trail ride, camping weekend, or whatever please continue. The spring event will be further south, though not as far south as OTG (location to be announced). The fall event will be north (location to be announced). This isn’t a template or anything it’s just how they landed this time. Our goal is to rotate the two main events around the region so that each state can showcase their trails/scenery/camping/food/etc… We’ve been talking to folks about the previous meetups we’ve done and have come up with a plan for how these events should look.
1) camping
2) trail time
3) training
4) Swag (duh)

We will be working with local groups/clubs in the planning of these events. If you lead or are a part of a local group/club shoot me an email. We would like to build up our list of resources. This will also help us maintain contact so we can encourage members to participate in the local activities/trail maintenance and cleanups, cjones@overlandbound.com

4. Contests:
I’ve been slacking a bit here. I talked quite a bit about doing some fun contests and have really dropped the ball. Hank has been getting on my case about it lately so I’ve finally gotten some stuff hammered out and will be “launching” some fun things for us to do on the forums and Facebook group to help get member involvement up. And yes, there will be prizes. If you work for, are part of, or just want to contribute to the prize pool for contests, please send me an email cjones@overlandbound.com

As always, let us know if you need help with anything. We are here to assist in starting meetups, connecting members and general area knowledge. Don’t forget to check the calendar for upcoming rally point meetups. Watch the forums and Facebook Group for all the latest conversations and happenings.

Happy Thanksgiving and I hope you all have a great Holiday Season,
-Chris Jones
East Region Ambassador

Asuarez_673

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia Beach, VA
First Name
Alexis
Last Name
Suarez
Member #

this makes me excited cause the east has been slacking a lot. as it seems right now, I may only have about a year left in east as ill probably be heading back out west as I transition out of the navy, but if east keeps growing the way I hope it grows, ill be coming east to visit A LOT!

I feel like in order for East to keep growing an maybe even compete with West, all of us as a whole need to help with the process. I get it we all work, but we need to be a bit more willing to have meets. we need to compromise with each other and be willing to sometimes drive a little further to meet up. most states on the east are fairly small so I feel like picking a weekend to drive 2ish hours to meet up somewhere isn't that bad. plus OB is a family community so you can always bring your families out for a road trip.

if we all work together, east is going to be more than awesome!

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Add the Gaia app to your smart phone. So you can get lost and find your way back :-)

I've researched how best to navigate, and folks such as Scott Brady I've spoken to (editor/publisher of Overland Journal) recommend this app as the best.

I get lost EASILY :-)

Last edited:

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Great news.. I can't wait to see what this next year brings.. I'm staring a new off shift position at work {not by choice}. Hopefully I'll be able to join in the events..We'll possibly be bringing 2 vehicles too.. Just completed our '90 Wrangler "restore".. So we may have a his and hers ride..

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

Hi guys, looking forward to this. I want to get more involved on the east coast. I have been doing local drives in the NJ,NY, and PA areas over the last few months. Lots of people in NYC that need to get out. Please let me know if I can help.
The best way anyone can help is to set up a trip or a meetup in their area! Meet members that are local to you! If you need any help let me know and next time you make it up to NY give me a shout!

Reactions: Drifterman