Rank II

Traveler III

Fremont, NE, USA
First Name
Zachariah
Last Name
Petersen
Member #

A buddy and I are going on a two week trip(28th-11th) starting in East Nebraska and down to Big Bend National Park. We are thinking of heading down through the West central area of Kansas and Oklahoma into Texas and more East on the return. We're planning on using mostly scenic routes and back roads. This will be the first time going to Big Bend and really overlanding like this for both of us. Any must see sights, good restaurants, must see BLM lands, fun routes, etc? I know we are going to do the Chisos hike and possibly go-to Palo Duro State Park.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

If you come through Lubbock, beer is on me at my wife's brewery. And trust me, once you get across the OK/TX border, there aint jack to see until you get south of I-30. Kinda like the drive on I-80 between Lincoln and Denver... minus the mountains at the end.

carguyinok

Rank 0

Contributor I

N.E Oklahoma
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Shlosser
Hello from NE Oklahoma. Truth be told you could drop a pin on Disney Oklahoma & forget the rest of the trip if your looking for areas to freely explore.
Here's a vid I posted years ago. Guess it's starting point. But feel free & ask away. Disney has a complex & ever changing trail system a top the rock crawling side of things. Also, Hogan's is an off road centered campground that's a fixture of the area. He also offers off-road recovery if you find yourself in need.
I'd also look at running eastern Oklahoma / western Arkansas. Otherwise your gonna travel nothing but fields for hours. The good news is you can run Oklahoma one way then Arkansas the other if you like.
Also, I'd look up Robbers Cave State Park in the SE Ok area including Talimena Trail Scenic drive. Yes, it's paved. But worth a 100 mile detour if you truly love roads.