Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

We are heading down Skyline/Blue Ridge/Smokie's Parkways then heading north through the NF's back to NH. I figure we'll run the MABDR up as we leave the NF's. Most I read about the MABDR is sections 2 & 8 have the technical spots.

Can anyone elaborate a bit on the run?
Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 8.36.39 AM.png

Geisterbild

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bellingham, MA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Cunniff
Member #

We are heading down Skyline/Blue Ridge/Smokie's Parkways then heading north through the NF's back to NH. I figure we'll run the MABDR up as we leave the NF's. Most I read about the MABDR is sections 2 & 8 have the technical spots.

Can anyone elaborate a bit on the run?
View attachment 204666
Hey RJ, have you run this yet? I'd like to drive this part in the future, I've only done MA north of the pike into southern VT.

Reactions: Dusther210

mamalone200

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eastern Shore of Maryland
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

I can't comment any on the MABDR, but I can recommend two good dispersed campsites that appear to be near your route.
1. 37.79222, -79.12929, there are several sites near here, along FR63. It's very pretty, and right along the Piney River.
2. 36.66970, -81.48699, this is a large site called "the scales". It's a very pretty area with wild horses and pit toilets. Tight road to the site though, I would not want to bring a trailer on the switchbacks.

Reactions: Dusther210

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

We started the MABDR yesterday running South to North We completed about 75-80% of Day 1 an landed in Mt Roan SP CG. All tar roads today. Here's my day journal.

Day 11

More rain overnight, yet not the heavy downpours we have encountered. Getting used to packing the tarp up wet.. it’s new home is a trash bag. Campground was petty empty which surprised us given all the traffic and folks everywhere as we drove around/through the Park.

Took about an hour to reach the beginning of the Mid Atlantic Backroad Discovery Route (MABDR) and we started our way back semi north. Trail today travels over The Rattlesnake, yet all day was curvy, hilly travel. A couple spots actually turn 1 3/4 steering wheel turn and dropped 35-40ft in the curve! Some of the steepest I have seen! We skipped a short section mainly because the GPS and roads weren’t matching up.. 20miinutes later and we were back on it again. We were attempting to complete the Day 1 route yet didn’t quite an gabbed a site on Mt Roan State Campground for the night. $24 with our Seniors discount and something else they applied (thank you). Only thing missing for that price is a site sewer hookup. Water/Electric on the site and flush toilets with free showers.

We were expecting the usual overnight shower, but not the thunder clappers and down pours we had. Looks like I pack that tarp up wet again… We will be in a Jefferson National Forest Campground tonight. The one I hoped for tonight was still another couple hours away. Glad we stopped here.

Speeds were anywhere from 15 to 55mph, but most of the day was under 35mph. Narrow roads making anyone with a trailer illegal on some of these roads (and very dangerous to others). I can see why the Moto-Sporter's love this route!

We'll finish the Day 1 route and maybe 1/2 the Day 2 portion and grab a site in the Jefferson NF. I'll update again as I have service.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Okay.. we bailed out in Virginia. Not the road was too tough, by most means, the roads are fine. I think only twice did I back away due to it went close to single track and then it seemed short distance. For me it was a 'click' I picked up in the steering and I know there's a 'u' joint in the linkage.. don't want to press it as we are solo running..

I have video I will post on my YT site as I get it put together. Traveling on or just using the MABDR as a general guide through the area you will see some amazing countryside! Since the main reason of the MABDR is for Multi-sport bikes, you will get tight turns, up/downs no matter where you route. One day on a Multi-sport bike I found equal to 2 days in the truck.. ya.. the roads are just that twisted & elevated!

We survived the mid 80° temps and humidity but really.. step in the sun and just breathe and you are sweating. We went wrong season for sure sure! Forecast was for the next few days to run mid 90°'s.. not conditions for these Nor'east folks!

I will post links to vid's as I get them up.