Launch Member

Advocate III

Waterford Township, MI, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Arsenault
Member #

The Mrs and I took the week and weekend after memorial day to go explore Drummond Island with hopes that the crowds would be gone and the bugs would still be few... we were right on both accounts!

The weather couldn't have been better with mostly to very sunny days, highs around 70 and lows at night in the 40s with clear skies. Previous wet weather had provided seemingly unlimited opportunities for water crossings, all but one negotiable without significant risk or causing trail widening/erosion/vegetation damage by skirting the edges. I chickened out on one water obstacle, "log jam", when I saw some Jeeps with 40"+ tires going through and submerging the tires completely. Good thing there was a bypass trail option!

Camp spots were plentiful and vacant everywhere that we tried, including Glenn Cove, Pilot Cove, various spots in the interior near Marble Head and a nice spot South of Marble Head along the shore.

Early on day 2 greeted us with a trail obstacle that required removal or going another way... so we got the axe and winch out and moved a couple downed trees.

The stars were bright and the sunsets were incredible! I hope to go back and finish exploring some areas that we missed and hopefully finding a way to get to the state land along the south coast near Long Point. If anyone knows of a route that they would like to share, I'd be grateful!

Attachments

Last edited:

GrundleJuice

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Waterford Township, MI, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Arsenault
Member #

Nice trip! The island looks amazing. I did not know such cool places existed when I lived in Michigan.

How did the Tacoma do?
It did great, even when my wife went down some rock steps with no brakes! I have it set about 2" above stock ride height and 2" larger than stock tires, so I'm sure that helps.

The Nokian Rotiiva AT+ tires continue to impress on all surfaces wet or dry.

Last edited: