First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Drone Flight.JPG

As many of us now own and operate Drones in the UK I thought I would just put up some info I have learned / received as some of it was not clear.
I, like many was under the belief that as I was flying a drone weighing less than 250g I did not need a license etc. This is partially true I have since been informed.

If your drone has a camera (unless it is a toy) then you need to register with the CAA for an Operator ID. You need to renew this registration every year.
This is a registration of you as the operator rather than a registration of the drone itself although you do add the registration number to the Drone. This costs £10.33 annually. Drone Operator Register Here

Anyone flying a drone weighing 250g or more needs to pass a test and get a flyer ID from the CAA. This is free and online.
An example DJI Mavic Pro 3 with standard battery is below 250g requiring only an Operator ID however with the bigger capacity battery it puts it above the 250g and therefore you should have both an Operator and a Flyers ID.
See below:

Drone ID Requirements.JPG

Clearly all of us using drones should have an Operator ID at least and I encourage everyone to follow the rules. Also regardless of whether you legally need a flyer ID I would strongly recommend that you do the learning and test as it gives you valuable information on flying your drone safely. I do not need the Flyers ID however I have completed it today.

Its a 40 question Theory Test covering the rules for Flying a Drone in the UK Take The Test Here

The main rules and advice are covered in our Drone and Model Aircraft Code however the Key rules include:

• Never fly more than 120m (400ft) above the surface
  • Always keep your drone or model aircraft in sight
  • Never fly in an airport’s flight restriction zone unless you have permission.
A copy of the Drone Code is attached for reference and I can happily send it to anyone who emails me at david@overlandbound.com

Fly safe and fly legally.

Examples of my Operator and Flyer ID's are shown below.

Drone Operator ID.JPG

Drone Flyer ID.JPG

Attachments

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

It's a shame so many are either unaware of the laws, or , more often than not, choose to ignore, the laws and regs for UAV operation.

Reactions: El-Dracho

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
There is a misconception that below 250g means no rules etc but I genuinely believe this is through what people see on social media rather than intentionally ignoring the rules.
I was in a similar position and initially found the details only when researching if I could fly my drone abroad.
This was the main driver for creating this post to hopefully make others aware.

NorbiLorenns

Rank I

Contributor III

UA
First Name
Norbi
Last Name
Lorenns
As I explore the debate about drones and operators, I am reminded of the vital role technology plays in outdoor recreation. An analysis of article Drones with night vision devices in modern warfare. on night vision drones in modern warfare sheds light on how advanced technology can improve safety during nighttime adventures. Understanding these capabilities can help us navigate our terrain effectively and reduce risks. Let's stay on top of such innovations to make our outdoor recreation more responsible.

Last edited:

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
IMO its none of the Governments business.
Well John when you can fly a drone into restricted airspace and possibly cause an aircraft to crash and thereby possibly killing another human. I believe in that case it is the governments responsibility that it keep stupid people from doing that!
I’m not accusing you of anything, just an adult observation.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

So if I follow B4UFLY information what does registering have to do with operating a drone. What I’m saying is that it’s none of the governments business if I have a drone. What’s next? Registration fees? Pilot license? When they are eventually deemed a “National Security Risk” so Im on a watch list? Want to register my firearms also? How about my IPad and Google Earth? That next?

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Not sure about the USA but there are rules on flying drones, where you can fly them, how high you can fly them etc here in the UK.
We had Gatwick Airport shut down because of idiots using drones so like all things if adults can't play properly their toys get restricted.

Gatwick_Airport_drone_incident

Absolutely you can't legislate for every eventuality or every nut job that wants to cause chaos but you can legislate to be able to punish them in the event they do.
As overlanders we should and need to respect laws in any country we visit whether we agree with them or not or chaos ensues.
For instance in many countries owning a drone is illegal, with a number of cases of "influencers" flying drones where they shouldn't!
For example the Australian Overlanders who were arrested and detained in Iran. Thankfully they were released but only after diplomatic input.

australian-travel-bloggers - released

So if I need to register a Drone in order to fly it here in the UK I see no issues but ultimately flying responsibly is the answer to avoid any issues.