Grant
Last Name
Peters
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WD6IQX
Service Branch
Army [ABN] 01-05
Last summer we took a cross US trip from the dry west to the humid east. We were told to use white lithium grease to lube up drawer slides, but now we’ve got some corrosion. Suggestions for cleaning this off? And... was white lithium the wrong choice? Anyone experience this or have a solution?

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Just like a tool box in a garage, the change in temp from day to day will test your ability to keep it clean. I don't think there's any way to absolutely coat the entire slide, nor do I think it's necessary.
Unless it's binding, lube it and let it fly. LOL
Zim

EDIT. White lith is okay. Spray silicone is okay too but collects dirt.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I would be interested in what corroded them. East coast salt air? I have three sets between my vehicles, some are over five years old. No corrosion that I've noticed. I had to pull out the ones in my M-100 sometime ago due to dirt build up, but that's it.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i used to operate ROVs offshore and they were in and out of salt water daily and corrosion was a definite problem. ive used a lot of different products and wd-40 worked fairly well for some things...the "wd" stands for water displacement, so it is actually more for that than a lube. another good product i used was from LPS. its designed to address corrosion. white lithium grease will help some with corrosion, but is designed as a high temp lube that is made to stick to what its applied to. i find that products like the white lithium grease can also trap moisture and cause problems. the LPS works great, but needs good prep before applying,
i've been in south louisiana for 30 yrs and EVERYTHING corrodes quickly here...cant stop it, but can slow it down a good bit

cleaning corrosion is tricky. you can use an acid like navel jelly and dissolve the rust, but you will also dissolve the surrounding finish and open up the metal, which leaves it more prone to corrosion if not immediately primed and coated. i go with a product that converts rust. the rust converter neutralizes the rust and converts it into a coating that can be painted over. i use rust converter all the time on all my outdoor equipment...mover decks, etc. you can prob find a small bottle on amazon or an auto store.

Last edited:
Reactions: MSD

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Curious, I live in the humidity of eastern Pa. To my knowledge the sliders in my trailer and the pair inside the cruzer are stainless steel, or I assume they are stainless because they have yet to show any corrosion. Other than that, what grubworm says.

OVRLAND

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic III

Finger Lakes
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Rockwell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QXK
I’ve always used a spray product manufactured by Krown. They make a rustproofing spray that looks a lot like the waxoil Land Rover used in their earlier years. There’s a bit of paraffin mixed in with it to help with adhesion. You would still need to occasionally clean the fine debris that would stick to the slide but, you would have to do that with any lube/rustproofing you used.

Just my thoughts.

Oh P.S. I use this on electrical connection to help waterproof them as well.