Dometic CFX 40 quick review

• HTML tutorial

fjk

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kitchener, ON
Member #

How are you liking the CFX40 Fridge? We'd love to hear some thoughts and see some photos of it installed!
@DometicOutdoors So far I've only used it on a couple small trips. Here's how I had it (temporarily) installed last time I was out:

I plan on installing it on the slider at the rear on the interior platform I'm in the middle of designing. I'll be sure to post photos once that's done (probably on a build thread).

So far, I have loved having it. It's handy. (I've used it on hot days when I have refrigerated/frozen groceries to get but have a bunch of other places to go as well.) I power it off my Genesis dual Odyssey PC 1500 battery setup via a DIY power panel at the back of the Jeep and that has worked fantastically so far. No problems running the fridge overnight. I love having cold drinks and the freedom to bring whatever I want without worry about it spoiling or needing to find ice (or dealing with the water from melted ice).

My (relatively minor) points of constructive criticism from my limited use so far would be:
  • Would be nice to have a lid prop/stand/strut for those occasions when you need two hands but don't have enough vertical clearance to open the lid to stand all the way to stay open itself (as was the case with this setup).
  • There's too much velcro on the cover for the lid. Velcro only at the front would be sufficient.
  • It'd be nice to have a way of attaching the cover to the lid so it's not a separate piece that disappears behind the fridge when opened all the way. It's a pain to have to reach way behind the fridge to fish for the cover lid once the fridge is closed. If the fridge lid + cover moved together as 1 combined unit, it'd be way better.
I'm sure I'll have more feedback after more use. :smiley:
/FjK

varano14

Rank 0

Traveler I

How do you feel about the size? Both in relation to the jku and for your needs? I’m pretty much settle on a dometic CFC at some point in the future but am in certain on what size to get for two poeple. Top contenders are the 40 and 50. My initial thought was just get the 50, rather have and not need etc. But I’ve seen some good prices on the 40.
So when you get a chance I’d love to hear how you feel the 40 is size wise for how your using it.

Chuck Winchester

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Thomasville Ga
Member #

I have the 50 and love it. I have it mounted on a slide coming out the back of my jk. The 50 is great and love the fact the lid opens length wise vs width on the 40. Standing behind my jk I can pull the frig out and turn around use my table to cook on. Works great.

varano14

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have the 50 and love it. I have it mounted on a slide coming out the back of my jk. The 50 is great and love the fact the lid opens length wise vs width on the 40. Standing behind my jk I can pull the frig out and turn around use my table to cook on. Works great.
I agree one of the main appeals of the 50 aside from the extra size is the way the lid opens. With my current cooler I can roll up the rear side soft top windows and reach in the access it. I assumed if I got the 50 I could do this until I get a slide.

What length of trip are you using it for and for how many people?

Chuck Winchester

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Thomasville Ga
Member #

I agree one of the main appeals of the 50 aside from the extra size is the way the lid opens. With my current cooler I can roll up the rear side soft top windows and reach in the access it. I assumed if I got the 50 I could do this until I get a slide.

What length of trip are you using it for and for how many people?
We use it for weeks at a time and have had as many as five people “living” out of the refrig. The lid can also be turned in both directions. Just an FYI. So you can open it from the left or the right.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Blythe_fam

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Delaware, OH, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Blythe
Member #

Hey guys new here. I have a 12 v plug in the back of my 16 jku runs off aux power. If i wanted a dometic CF80 do i really need a deep cycle battery as long as i start up the jeep before bed and in the morning ?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Hey guys new here. I have a 12 v plug in the back of my 16 jku runs off aux power. If i wanted a dometic CF80 do i really need a deep cycle battery as long as i start up the jeep before bed and in the morning ?
You always need a deep cycle battery when running a fridge. You likely will need a better 12volt plug with higher gauge wiring than what the factory offers which will always be on. Most factory plugs are tied to your key although I don’t own a Jeep. ARB makes an affordable kit or diy with 10 awg wire direct to your battery unless you have an aftermarket fuse block.

You will prematurely kill a starter only battery vs deep cycle when running a fridge.

Blythe_fam

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Delaware, OH, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Blythe
Member #

You always need a deep cycle battery when running a fridge. You likely will need a better 12volt plug with higher gauge wiring than what the factory offers which will always be on. Most factory plugs are tied to your key although I don’t own a Jeep. ARB makes an affordable kit or diy with 10 awg wire direct to your battery unless you have an aftermarket fuse block.

You will prematurely kill a starter only battery vs deep cycle when running a fridge.
Okay thanks for the info that what i was thinking but a guy told me he thought i could get away with it. Im just going to go with the deep cycle thanks brother

FireJeep

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Virginia
I have an 05 Jeep LJ (long wheel base TJ) and I too have the 50 CFX. My wife bought me the slide and insulating cover for my birthday, the insulating cover made a world of difference!! The CFX has a battery minder mode on it, I have mine set for "medium" which means the fridge will stop cycling on if the battery voltage gets to 11.7 volts. Before the cover it would routinely not be cycling in the morning during summer months, since the cover I have not had that issue. X2 on the stock power plug not being sufficient, Dometic recommends 12 or 10 AWG wire for a 15' run (more run than what I did but I believe in going bigger than needed for reliability and safety). I ran marine grade sheathed 10 AWG wire from my Optima yellow top (deep cycle) to a 15 amp rated power outlet at the rear. Seems to be working well, I fused it at the point of power connection as well as the outlet having a fuse built in. Hope this helps.....

fjk

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kitchener, ON
Member #

An update! So I've had the fridge for about a year. I've camped and day-tripped with it and it's covered many miles with me in 2 countries. And it's now ~ permanently installed in my jeep (which, is still my daily driver), so I've used it both for adventuring and for every day things. I still love it.

This was from camping last October (Canadian Thanksgiving weekend):

IMG_20181007_160048.jpg

So the fridge is installed on a slider on the DIY platform I've built (separate build thread coming eventually). It slides out nicely clearing the support wires for the tailgate table. It sits a bit high, but it works alright for me. I can't get the basket out in this configuration because the lid doesn't open all the way, but I can get the divider out, which is sufficient.

From my original post, I've solved 2 of the 3 nits with the setup using adhesive velcro:
- The extra velcro around the lid that makes it hard to open quickly, I've simply covered those velcro areas with adhesive velcro with the adhesive backing not exposed. So now it's not grabby and thus slides open. The insulated cover still closes snugly and stays put.
- I put a strip of adhesive velcro 1/3 of the way down the lid just beyond the latch handle and attached the lid there. Now the cover lid doesn't flop behind the fridge!

Just need a strut or leg, or something to hold the lid open for those occasions when needed. Alternatively, a side-opening lid option for this fridge would work even better.

I've camped a bit solo using this fridge, with lots of room with fresh food keeping wonderfully. 2-3 of us have eaten out of it on day trips for an entire week (we were camped out of an RV so most of the food was there -- but this covered lunches, snacks and cool drinks easily). It was wonderful having it because it opened way more options for us given the hot weather. It performed beautifully during the hottest heatwave of summer (2-3 weeks sustained 30+ C temps with humidity) without a problem. Battery was healthy (was driving daily, so not really a concern, either). I think I ran this fridge the entire summer with no issues -- if only for a cold bottle of water for the random, spur-of-the- moment road trips or for keeping refrigerated groceries cool on a hot day or transporting an ice cream cake 2+ hours without issue.

I'm not sure I could ever go back to not having a fridge with me... I know I'll be camping a whole lot more with it this year as I have some longer adventures planned!