Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

The ability of a tent to withstand wind depends on the design of the tent, quality of components and how the tent is secured. Supports that flex without breaking, high durability nylon, properly staking your tent (using guy lines and good stakes) and the physical placement of the tent using natural windbreaks and aerodynamics will help your shelter survive. The general assessment is 20 mph for an average tent, but better constructed tents can withstand 40 mph. The manufacturer should be able to provide some guidance. Flying debris is one of the greatest threats to an otherwise sturdy tent. I’ve camped in high winds where my tent actually flexed down on top of me with each strong gust. No damage in the morning, but not a good night of sleep!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

That depends on the tent, a 4 season expedition style are very good, a dome tent from Big 5 for $50.00 not so much. I have a north face VE25 this is pretty bullet proof, 4 man, solid tent body, polyester fly, $$$, spent many nights night in the mountains snowing and in the wind or rain. When I set up up properly pretty quiet. I have a Black Diamond Elderado, single wall, that is bullet proof for a solo night in the snow and wind.

ZombieCat is pretty accurate in his description of tents. Easy way to spot a good tent is it's polls, those fiberglass polls are dead giveaway, as are the aluminum polls without anodizing. You want Easton or something like Easton, the bigger around the stronger they are. Also look for a ripstop polyester fly, polyester doesn't breakdown with UV light and stronger than Nylon. There are plenty of good 4 season tents, Big Agnes, Mountain Hardware, Black Diamond, Northface, Nemo, MSR to name a few, you tend to get what you pay for. I am not a fan of hub style tents over all. I know this will not set well many here.

Edit. Mountain hardware has built tents for guy that have spent nights on the top of Everest, 1/2" polls if I remember.

Last edited: