Doing dishes during winter

• HTML tutorial

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

My wife and I recently camped at Crater Lake. It ended up hitting the mid 20s and I realized how awful doing dishes in freezing weather was.

From then on, we started food prepping like backpackers. We dehydrated everything we could and only had our bowls and spork to clean when out camping. We're going to further it and rehydrate our food in some freezer bags so we don't even have bowls.

This obviously shifts a lot of prep time from out in the woods to at home, and cooking in the wild is half the fun, so I figured I'd ask what everyone else has come up with.

Reactions: Winterpeg

Cannon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Grovetown, GA
Member #

Last trip we took (where the water in our wash tub froze on us) we decided to boil a pot of water, and mix with the cold water until the wash water was nice and warm, but not boiling. This made the experience much nicer than the previous night of trying to was dishes in water just above freezing.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: kennedyma

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

We usually do hot water, but it's still pretty brutal. I might look into cleaning gloves, that's a good idea I hadn't thought of.

pierceg

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Missoula, MT
Member #

Heat water everytime. Plus hotter water does a better job for cleaning anyway.
Before shutting down the stove we usually use one of the cooking pans that was used for dinner to heat and add soap to.
We also heat up one for rinsing. It only takes a few extra minutes and its ready for next use.

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Lol, right? I'm looking into a skottle too, removes a bit of cleaning, but gotta deal with critters who are interested in the smell.