Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I don’t dogsled,, but I watch the races every year up in Joseph, Oregon. Next year I hope to be part of the commo team for the race.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Yep, nothing is better than watching the enthusiasm of a dog race.

Wallpaper-for-desktop-Dog-Race-Yukon-Alaska-1280x960.jpg

We had a week of dog racing every spring in Yellowknife. The first event was a truck pull on main street Friday lunch hour. The teams pulled an F150 2 blocks in a timed event. The winning team kept the loaded F150 4x4 Lariat.... a $70K first prize. Teams would arrive during the race, the dogs couped up in dog boxes since the ferry 3 hours away. They exploded out of the truck.... they exploded off the start line too. You will never see more uncontrolled adrenalin/testosterone in your life. They live short lives but they are explosive lives.

Relaxing and peaceful...... I imagine the dogs pulling sleds with civilians and kids are Malamutes, not Huskies.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Yep, nothing is better than watching the enthusiasm of a dog race.

View attachment 224982

We had a week of dog racing every spring in Yellowknife. The first event was a truck pull on main street Friday lunch hour. The teams pulled an F150 2 blocks in a timed event. The winning team kept the loaded F150 4x4 Lariat.... a $70K first prize. Teams would arrive during the race, the dogs couped up in dog boxes since the ferry 3 hours away. They exploded out of the truck.... they exploded off the start line too. You will never see more uncontrolled adrenalin/testosterone in your life. They live short lives but they are explosive lives.

Relaxing and peaceful...... I imagine the dogs pulling sleds with civilians and kids are Malamutes, not Huskies.
Husky's are awesome. You in Yellowknife now? I worked up there for a year in 1997 at 2 law firms. I did work on incorporating Nunavut as a territory.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Didn't know if anyone else has tried dogsledding. But honestly it was a great, relaxing, peaceful weekend adventure while visiting in my home area Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
I would definitely like to do that sometime. I have driven snowmobiles before. And I was just 3 weeks in the Nordic countries of Europe on the road. However, I have first fulfilled two other long-cherished dreams there. These are on the one hand to travel to the North Cape in icy winter and on the other hand to travel with an icebreaker. Both were super great experiences. Such an icebreaker is really fascinating and a highlight was to float with a survival suit in the icy water.

You see, I like the cold winter and the many great activities you can do then. Dog sledding will come up another time. Looking forward to it.