do you skip 3/8 drive sockets?

• HTML tutorial

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I'm a bit surprised at how many people don't carry 1/2" drive sockets. What happens if you need to remove a broken shock, tighten a suspension component, swap out a TRE, remove a wheel, or remove/replace a CV axle? Many of these bolts are torqued to over 80lb-ft and would be pretty tough with a 3/8", and in some cases you need a 1/2" deep socket to fit over longer bolts. That said, a combination wrench could be used as an alternative if there is room for it to swing.

It's made me consider some trail failures I've been involved in repairing and what would be required in each case, and in looking back there were definitely some cases where a 1/2" drive socket was very useful.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I'm a bit surprised at how many people don't carry 1/2" drive sockets. What happens if you need to remove a broken shock, tighten a suspension component, swap out a TRE, remove a wheel, or remove/replace a CV axle? Many of these bolts are torqued to over 80lb-ft and would be pretty tough with a 3/8", and in some cases you need a 1/2" deep socket to fit over longer bolts. That said, a combination wrench could be used as an alternative if there is room for it to swing.

It's made me consider some trail failures I've been involved in repairing and what would be required in each case, and in looking back there were definitely some cases where a 1/2" drive socket was very useful.
It’s called a cheater pipe... and knowing the breaking strength of the tool... lots of penetration oils and rocking the fastener back and forth, and then like you said, a open ended wrench. For ranches I carry the flexible gear wrench.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Yeah. The axle nut for my 99 Grand Cherokee is 36mm, 35 for my Sierra. The rear shock absorber nuts on my 14 Sierra are 21 mm and the lugs are 22mm. All much easier with a half inch drive. Oh yeah, and the serpentine drive belt tensioner on the GC? Half in. So insert your breaker bar without a socket on it. So, it's a few half inch drive sockets, a half inch ratchet, breaker bar, and torque wrench. The rest is 3/8

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I carry a set of long pattern combination and 6 point flex head wrenches, as well as a wide opening adjustable wrench for things like trailer balls and trailer wheel bearings.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I have 1/4 and 1/2 on board. 1/2 is a bigger set, which is well stowed for major repairs. Then I have a small handy set1 1/4 tools, which is always quick on hand. I use this for many small things, such as a screw that has shaken loose when driving offroad, or to change a bulb, or to loosen the cockpit fairing when there is something to be done behind it, etc. Just for all the little things that can happen on the road. And I use it also always where I can not get with 1/2 tool because the space is limited.

However, it also depends on the vehicle. On some vehicles, for example, you open the diff filler srews and drain plugs with 1/2 square, so you need to have 1/2 square with you. I have also a single 3/8 ratchet and extension with me, because I need it for the filling screw of the swivel ball housings.

By the way, on the subject of load capacity of 1/4 tools, a high quality 1/4 tool holds quite a bit. If I remember correctly, for example the DIN standard prescribes 62Nm as the maximum load capacity for a 1/4 ratchet, tools from brand manufacturers are usually far above or even double the value.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Just as an aside, I've found that by removing(breaking the plastic) handles off of a set of nut drivers I can put them in my cordless drill and make short work of removing/installing nuts and bolts. Sometimes only using the rachet for initial loosening or final torqueing.

Reactions: M Rose

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

If starting from scratch building a tool kit for your rig would you skip 3/8" drive sockets and just pack 1/4" drive and 1/2" drive for smaller and larger sizes respectively? I think I read about someone suggesting that if you need a larger size you may also need the leverage of the 1/2" drive so carry just 1/4" for 4-14mm and 1/2" for 10-32mm drive sockets. Thoughts? What do you do? thanks
I do exactly this. I use 1/2" Drive for 98% of my work, and am able to share sockets across a ratchet, breaker bar, and rattle gun without adapters. I keep a compact 1/4" socket set for areas where I really just need to get to something hard to reach.

I haven't bought or used 3/8" stuff since I was a teenager.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I may have posted before...anyway I have my old half inch ratchets, for sure. For shocks and brake work, etc. Some nice ones, too. Craftsman from the late 50's and early 60's. Pointed A without release button. And I have a couple breaker bars. But I tend to use 3/8 for most stuff, and I have a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter for the small stuff.

afootorafloatLJ

Rank VIII
Launch Member
Supporter

Trail Blazer I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
Calhoun
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7FKK
Chiming In late but I run a bit of everything. I have mix of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 ratchets of various styles, flex heads, stubby’s, etc. 1/2 breaker bar. I carry nut drivers, various lengths of screw drivers, pliers, wire cutters, crescent wrench’s. I carry most of my tools in the tool box Jerry can, a craftsman socket and wrench set, a number of ratcheting box end wrenches…a box with electrical tools and terminal ends and fuses. I have a 20w DeWalt 1/2 gun I use for lug nuts. It appears that 10mm sockets go missing so I bought several at Home Depot.
Why carry so much stuff? For the other folks. Lots of folks don’t have enough or the right tools.
I use a folding ground pad from Harbor Freight. Don’t forget long jumper cables.
See you all on the dirt.

Last edited: