Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

@PB&Me what did you end up doing? I am in this predicament now.

1. Tacoma Offroad, DCLB
  2. 31" tires / 265/70/16 - technically 30.5"
  3. Easy to moderate trails. I probably wouldn't try over a 4 rating for TrailsOffroad ratings. It is my daily driver and $50k plus with mods and I am risk averse. Not risk avoidance, simply averse.
  4. No mud/river crossings, no rock crawling. I would always errr for the easiest route given a choice.
  5. 1.5" lift with Bilstein 6112s and 5160 with Icon RXT leafpack
  6. I got the lift and better suspension mainly for clearance, peace of mind, insurance in case I underestimate a trail.
Looking at swapping out the stock tires for 265/75/16 Falken Wildpeaks in SL rating, so it is only 1" bigger, net 0.5" in clearance. So while the rating is same as stock, they do have more aggressive treads and sidewall protection via design. 4S rated for snow which I do go into mountains snowboarding 4-5 times per winter.

Cost difference for 5 is only ~$20 per tire or $100. If I stuck with stock size I could keep arguably keep my current spare time. Same size, but different weight and less aggressive - lighter by about 5 pounds. Don't know how that would effect things if I had to use to spare.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I think getting a good AT like a toyo AT3 or similar is better than a bigger tire.
Not sure if it was mentioned, but for us up here in the north where we do get a fair amount of ice in the winters, a bigger/wider tire does give you a larger contact patch, BUT, lowers the PSI of the of the tires interaction with the surface, essentially making the truck lighter, allowing less traction in slick conditions. This is the same reason guys run 12.50's + in the sand, they promote floatation! Not good on ice or on the highway during a downpour.

My .02 cents, A solid All terrain, maybe a size taller for a little added ground clearance, no added width if possible.

Reactions: Alanymarce

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Tire size is up to you, you'll pick up 1/2 inch of clearance with what you are thinking about. I'll post about Baja, it's my playground. I spend 50 plus days per year rolling around Baja, fishing, surfing, kayaking and poking about. I have driven to the tip 3 times on dirt, solo. Most of the roads are pretty good, a little rougher than most forest service roads. Knowing how to air up and down and sand driving is far more important than tire size. Most the roads in Baja go someplace with a local living there. The locals don't drive a fully kitted out rig. If you want to follow the race coarse after the race it will be rough and torn up pretty bad. Storms will destroy a road there, don't listen any advice about conditions if they predate the last storm. The real issue with Baja is breaking down and getting parts. Last year there were over 150 Sprinters on a beach at a group gathering. It is not the frontier many think it is. PM me if you want more info.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I would increase diameter no more than one size step, if at all - the standard size is capable of what you want to do.

Depending where you plan to go, bear in mind the availability of replacement tyres - not much good going to a tyre size you cannot replace easily.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Consider the added weight of taller/wider tires, many only come in C and E rating and are heavy. This effects performance, braking, MPG. Most mid size can handle up to a 33" before you are really stressing the drive train parts, Personally I prefer a tall skinny tire like a 255/80 or 10x33.