Rank IV

Enthusiast II

New Jersey
First Name
J
Last Name
S
Member #

I made a pipe with 4 inch PVC pipe that I mounted to my roof rack. I added outdoor hose attachments to it on one end. Not pressurized at the moment but did purchase the parts to do so after using it on this last trip and getting tired of the super low pressure of the water flow. It;s fine for washing dishes but not so great when showering. I can make up a parts list of what I used if this is what you were looking for. Here are two old pics from 2019 when I built it. Both ends have been changed a bit. The front it now straight with an end cap and fill hole is on top. The rear I redid to a 90 degree which puts the output on the side, but now that I'll be pressurizing it I will be using another 45 degree possibly attached to the 90 at some point depending on where it drops down to. Or 45 alone just shorter so it doesn't hang off the back of the truck and interfere with the rear hatch.WaterTube1.jpgWaterTube.jpg

Greg French

Rank III

Traveler III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
French
Member #

I made mine out of 4" PVC. It has a fill/pressurize cap on one end and a hose attachment on the other. Used it this past weekend and it was nice to have a warm shower after riding all day. The whole thing was maybe $50-$60. Everything came from Lowe's. I had to use white PVC because they didn't have black in 4", but covered it in black truck bed liner.
I can take some closeup shots of it if you like so you can see the parts you will need and how it all goes together.

Attachments

S4NM4N

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

New Jersey
First Name
J
Last Name
S
Member #

I made mine out of 4" PVC. It has a fill/pressurize cap on one end and a hose attachment on the other. Used it this past weekend and it was nice to have a warm shower after riding all day. The whole thing was maybe $50-$60. Everything came from Lowe's. I had to use white PVC because they didn't have black in 4", but covered it in black truck bed liner.
I can take some closeup shots of it if you like so you can see the parts you will need and how it all goes together.
I like how your's looks!! I have two questions as I'm about to redo my exit end. What parts did you use to come out of the PVC on the endcap? I have had issues with mine having a slow leak. 2nd Did you put the pressure stem on a removable cap on the filler side? I was going to put mine somewhere on the exit end when I redo it, not sure if it's better to put it on the other end. Thanx in advance. -Jon-
Just re-read your post and see you said it's on a cap. sorry.....

Greg French

Rank III

Traveler III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
French
Member #

Here are some closer pics of the parts and ends.
Mine holds pressure pretty well. I will pump it up to 25psi and it lasts longer than I need it for a shower or whatever.
I have a small bicycle hand pump that I carry with me and pump it before I use it.

Attachments

Reactions: S4NM4N

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I use my onboard water, it's not heated but most times when I'm looking to take a shower/bath it's hot outside so I don't mind.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Have you made any decisions? Is it strictly for use as a road-shower style set up or will it serve other purposes? Ex- Shower, Dishes, Hot Water for cooking, coffee, etc.? The reason I ask is because when considering these questions for myself, I got hung up on the quality/durability/cost of the DIY build and the limited functionality of a system only dedicated to showers/rinsing off. I opted for a inexpensive battery operated unit from Amazon that is basically a small battery operated pump connected to a shower head by a length of tubing. It plugs into a 12v battery for power. I can use it for shower, rinsing, washing the dog, washing dishes, etc. It doesn't have high pressure, and I have to heat the water in a pot on a burner and then add cold water to get it to the desired temperature, but it packs down very small and does all I ask of it so far. Under $30. No DIY required... unless that is your goal... lol

Leirbag

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Wilensky
Member #

I still think the heat exchanger method I used and discussed above is best for all situations. Provided you have enough water, you can have unlimited amounts of very hot water for any purposes. The only drawback is you need to have your engine running while you are using a lot of hot water.