• HTML tutorial

ben.dicoot

Local Expert, Victoria Australia
Launch Member

Contributor III

Wodonga, Victoria, Australia
Member #

Hi Overlanders!
Over some time I had plans to build a kitchen for my travels. I wanted it removable as my rig is a daily driver. Also to move around camp to shelter from the wind.
There is a company over here in Australia that do this kind of thing for nearly $600(aud)! I'm a resourceful kind of guy so I decided to make my own.
I wanted it to include a sink, cutlery drawer and room for two butane cookers.
I decided to use 12mm plywood. Strong, thick enough to screw into, but not too heavy.image.jpeg@FozRoamer 's sink was an inspiration. The ability to use it and not lose bench space is a bonus.image.jpegThe long handles make for drying rails for the dish cloths.image.jpegI made it wide enough for the sink which left enough space for a spare gas can next to the cookers.image.jpegThis is stage one. I will add some fold up legs, a flip open table on the opposite end and some stainless steel bench tops. It so far owes me less than $150(aud)
Hope you enjoy!
Ben.

Attachments

Teh_Viking

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ventura Ca
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Roosendahl
Member #

Nice job, looks super clean and useful. I like the sink incorporated into it. I am hoping to mount a collapsible sink on my tailgate that flips out. Thanks for some inspiration.

Teh_Viking

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ventura Ca
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Roosendahl
Member #

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I just searched Silicone Collapsible Tub and there is a bunch on amazon. I was trying to find one not made in china but no luck yet. Some say food grade silicone and some do not so that might be a plus.

Here is one from REI so you might have better luck returning is it no good.
https://www.rei.com/product/110434/ultimate-survival-technologies-flexware-sink-85l

Here's the same on on Amazon for a couple bucks less (free shipping/no tax) http://amzn.to/2kwNSbs

I too looked all over for the Companion Popup brand one, but didn't find one available in the US.

Reactions: Teh_Viking

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Here's the same on on Amazon for a couple bucks less (free shipping/no tax) http://amzn.to/2kwNSbs
I ordered one. I'll let you know the quality when I get it. Once I build a support and some storage, I can remove the handles and cut the nubs off for reduced height. Meanwhile, it will be a handy collapsible container.

Reactions: ben.dicoot

ben.dicoot

Launch Member

Contributor III

Member #

I ordered one. I'll let you know the quality when I get it. Once I build a support and some storage, I can remove the handles and cut the nubs off for reduced height. Meanwhile, it will be a handy collapsible container.
I had mine in my plastic camping tub for about 5 years before I utilised it for this. I've seen larger ones now with drain plugs which is pretty cool

Reactions: Steve

Teh_Viking

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ventura Ca
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Roosendahl
Member #

Yeah some real pics would be nice. Id like to flush mount this into a piece of plywood so maybe the handles could still be used.

They also make matching 1.3 gallon bucket but I dont know what I would use that for.

Reactions: Steve

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Nice Job! Think I need to build one of these.

ben.dicoot

Launch Member

Contributor III

Member #

this might be a dumb question but do you use this while its in the rig? I think its awesome but I'm curious how you handle cooking in the back of your rig.
I don't, as it is light enough to pull out and set up easily. I have the cutlery drawer end facing out so quick roadside stops for lunch or coffee is easy enough with it still in the car. Hope that makes sense