Rank IV

Enthusiast II

New Jersey
First Name
J
Last Name
S
Member #

A while back I came across a video from Nate @DirtLifestyle where he designed and installed a set of DIY Gull Wing windows. I loved the idea and thought, hmmm maybe one day. Well that day may have come about. I have an 07 Tahoe. I was offloading my roof rack and happened to shatter the rear side fixed window. It's still in place because of the tint on it but looks like I'm either replacing the glass or doing this mod. I've watched a few more videos on these Gull Wing windows installations, purchased pre manufactured units and DIY builds.
It doesn't look very complicated but my question is if anyone has experience making these and if you have any pointers before I get to it?
THANX in advance for any help.
J

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Here's a link to a thread on them for a cruiser. The only difference for yours will be the shape of the pop out. These are very popular in the FJ80 world
Gull wing windows

Reactions: S4NM4N

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Have a little experience. LMAO
Cutting in the hole for the latch will test your resistance to alcohol, heroin, crack and gummy bears.
Aluminum is expensive. Each door is $3,133. LOL
Finding the exact place to put the lift support is not easy. It would be easier to fly to Florida and launch the Space Shuttle.
and finally, the hinges leaked.
That's about it. Have fun.
Zim
on the truck 3.jpg

final open door.jpg

S4NM4N

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

New Jersey
First Name
J
Last Name
S
Member #

Have a little experience. LMAO
Cutting in the hole for the latch will test your resistance to alcohol, heroin, crack and gummy bears.
Aluminum is expensive. Each door is $3,133. LOL
Finding the exact place to put the lift support is not easy. It would be easier to fly to Florida and launch the Space Shuttle.
and finally, the hinges leaked.
That's about it. Have fun.
Zim
View attachment 231715

View attachment 231714
Ugh, they leaked. Mine will leak into the interior of my truck if it happens. Looking forward to this project now. LOL

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Ugh, they leaked. Mine will leak into the interior of my truck if it happens. Looking forward to this project now. LOL
It will be fine. I should have flipped my hinges in instead of up. No big deal tho.
You'll have fun and the attention you get out on the trail will be awesome.
Zim

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
The key to making any door is paitence and "dry fitting". Never permanently install anything until you have tested it, I would say you will want Clecos to hold parts in place to test fitment. I have fabricated tons of doors (for storage lockers on trucks and replacing/ rebuilding panels on aircraft). It is a perfect example of something being as hard as you make it. Keep it simple and don't be afraid to start over. If something doesnt work or you dont like it, just scrap it and start over. This will save time and money in the long run.