Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NJ
Service Branch
USN
Hello everyone,

I’m in the process of brainstorming to build my own drawer system, for two reasons: #1 they are very expensive, #2 I’m in Japan and most manufacturers don’t ship to my FPO, AP address.

My question is, since I don’t have a garage, what are some basic tools that I could buy that can get the job done but I wouldn’t need a garage to house them. I do have a small backyard which is where I intend to build it. Also can you guys share some pics of your drawer system to get some ideas! Thanks!

Attachments

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Most home improvement stores can cut wood for you. If you come up with your design, you could just have them do the cuts, and then you put it together.

Here's mine for some inspiration.

NJ Rodz

Rank III

Enthusiast II

佐世保市, Nagasaki, Japan
First Name
Nelson
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NJ
Service Branch
USN
Most home improvement stores can cut wood for you. If you come up with your design, you could just have them do the cuts, and then you put it together.

Here's mine for some inspiration.

Do you have a fridge? What is a good size for the back without taking too much space? I need left over space for two Huskies.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Do you have a fridge? What is a good size for the back without taking too much space? I need left over space for two Huskies.
No. I have two. Normally in the X, I have a setpower AJ30. My 37qt can house everything I need for about 5 days. We keep a 45qt in the trailer as well.

How big of a fridge you need will depend on what you wanna bring, and how long you want to be out.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Tools needed are a skill saw, drill with screwdriver bits and a drill bit for pilot holes for screws, and tape measure. A jig saw is handy, but not required.

I built a boat deck with just a skill saw, tape measure, and electric drill. Just as an example of what can be done with minimal tools.

20180930_111555_HDR_Original.jpeg

NJ Rodz

Rank III

Enthusiast II

佐世保市, Nagasaki, Japan
First Name
Nelson
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NJ
Service Branch
USN
No. I have two. Normally in the X, I have a setpower AJ30. My 37qt can house everything I need for about 5 days. We keep a 45qt in the trailer as well.

How big of a fridge you need will depend on what you wanna bring, and how long you want to be out.
I don’t stay in the same place more than 3 days, after that I move to another prefecture (state), I have two daughters and two dogs. I think a 45L should be fine.

NJ Rodz

Rank III

Enthusiast II

佐世保市, Nagasaki, Japan
First Name
Nelson
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NJ
Service Branch
USN
Tools needed are a skill saw, drill with screwdriver bits and a drill bit for pilot holes for screws, and tape measure. A jig saw is handy, but not required.

I built a boat deck with just a skill saw, tape measure, and electric drill. Just as an example of what can be done with minimal tools.

View attachment 261609
Hell yeah! Thanks for this info!! That’s a good start!!

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Off-Road Ranger III

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Maybe one more tip that can help you. If you have measured everything and you think you know how you want to build it, then you can first build a simple model from old and no longer needed cardboard and see how it looks like and whether you can get everything stowed.

If the drawers are heavily loaded but still need to be easy to slide in and out, there are so-called heavy-duty pull-outs. Here in Europe, for example, you can get them in camping equipment stores or workshop supplies.

Enjoy building your own equipment. That´s supercool.

Reactions: NJ Rodz and M Rose

NJ Rodz

Rank III

Enthusiast II

佐世保市, Nagasaki, Japan
First Name
Nelson
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NJ
Service Branch
USN
Maybe one more tip that can help you. If you have measured everything and you think you know how you want to build it, then you can first build a simple model from old and no longer needed cardboard and see how it looks like and whether you can get everything stowed.

If the drawers are heavily loaded but still need to be easy to slide in and out, there are so-called heavy-duty pull-outs. Here in Europe, for example, you can get them in camping equipment stores or workshop supplies.

Enjoy building your own equipment. That´s supercool.
I might try that, that would be simple and quick to know how it feels! Thanks!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Off-Road Ranger III

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
@Michael has made some really good YouTube videos on his drawer system in his 80series. Have a look at the OB YouTube Channel.

Part 1 here:

Reactions: NJ Rodz

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I'll second building it out of cardboard first. Almost everything I build, starts with a cardboard mock up. Once done, you have templates.
Fridge size more depends on you. I run a 25 qt in the back of my Cruiser. I keep the perishables to a minimum and leave room for a few drinks. Even being a small fridge, it still takes up a bit of space.

NJ Rodz

Rank III

Enthusiast II

佐世保市, Nagasaki, Japan
First Name
Nelson
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NJ
Service Branch
USN
I'll second building it out of cardboard first. Almost everything I build, starts with a cardboard mock up. Once done, you have templates.
Fridge size more depends on you. I run a 25 qt in the back of my Cruiser. I keep the perishables to a minimum and leave room for a few drinks. Even being a small fridge, it still takes up a bit of space.
I been looking at a 45L, it doesn’t seem too big but I might go with the 35L, because like you said they take a significant amount of space. I think about putting the fridge at the bottom of the platform, left side and build a storage space on top of it.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Off-Road Ranger III

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
As some others already said, the size of the fridge depends a lot on personal requirements. Available space? What is your power supply like? Do you like chilled drinks? Do you have food that needs to be refrigerated for several days? Do you also need to carry medicines in the fridge? Do you need a freezer option? And more.

Look here in this thread you might find some ideas:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i did a long drawer setup so we could sleep on top of it, but its essentially the same thing if you shorten it and make it taller, etc
@M Rose is right about the tools. if you go with cordless tools, you can even take them with you on trips. i usually take a cordless drill and sawzall with me and i also have lights, fans, and radio that use the same battery pack, so its a bonus if you go that route. a drill and circular saw will be plenty enough for this.
as far as design, @reaver has a good set up and its modular. maybe do a short base with drawers and then have 2 separate units on top so you can remove one and add a fridge or just be able to change up things easily if needs be. no matter how great your set up is today...chances are you will want to change things down the road, so making it modular is really nice. plus if you need the back room for something, its easier to move and store it if its in several smaller pieces

1688575501394.jpeg

Last edited:

NJ Rodz

Rank III

Enthusiast II

佐世保市, Nagasaki, Japan
First Name
Nelson
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NJ
Service Branch
USN
i did a long drawer setup so we could sleep on top of it, but its essentially the same thing if you shorten it and make it taller, etc
@M Rose is right about the tools. if you go with cordless tools, you can even take them with you on trips. i usually take a cordless drill and sawzall with me and i also have lights, fans, and radio that use the same battery pack, so its a bonus if you go that route. a drill and circular saw will be plenty enough for this.
as far as design, @reaver has a good set up and its modular. maybe do a short base with drawers and then have 2 separate units on top so you can remove one and add a fridge or just be able to change up things easily if needs be. no matter how great your set up is today...chances are you will want to change things down the road, so making it modular is really nice. plus if you need the back room for something, its easier to move and store it if its in several smaller pieces

View attachment 261619
Never thought of a modular system, but that makes a lot of sense. I do like making constant changes to my gear. Thanks man I’m soaking all this information, and I’m sure I’ll make something decent (hopefully ).

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Cool.
I never watched to video that was linked above, I built mine way before. I'll try to remember to take some pictures of what I did to give you some ideas. Have you found IH8MUD? Its a landcruiser tech forum. Go to the 80's section and search drawer systems. A few people posted their builds.