Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I'm looking at a last minute 3 day run through NM next week and would like to checkout White Sands NP. Anyone know of a decent spot to disperse camp near there?

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
I'm looking at a last minute 3 day run through NM next week and would like to checkout White Sands NP. Anyone know of a decent spot to disperse camp near there?
Your best bet is probably up in the Sacramento Mountains and Lincoln National Forest east of Alamogordo. Lots of public land up there. There is a campground (Aguirre Springs) up in the Organ Mountains between WSNP and Las Cruces, too, but not sure about dispersed. WSNP is pretty much surrounded by the missile range (WSMR) and Holloman AFB, both of which are limited access. There is some BLM land nearby the park, but it will be pretty barren.

Last edited:
Reactions: wklambert

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Your best bet is probably up in the Sacramento Mountains and Lincoln National Forest east of Alamogordo. Lots of public land up there. There is a campground (Aguirre Springs) up in the Organ Mountains between WSNP and Las Cruces, too, but not sure about dispersed. WSNP is pretty much surrounded by the missile range (WSMR) and Holloman AFB, both of which are limited access. There is some BLM land nearby the park, but it will be pretty barren.
Thanks for the info. I'll look into the Sacramento Mountains and LNF. I was hoping for something a little closer, but it is what it is. WSMR and Holloman AFB should not be an issue for me, I work for the Missile Defense Agency and we have "stuff" down there. But I don't think I'll be trying to go to either of those two places on this trip.

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Thanks for the info. I'll look into the Sacramento Mountains and LNF. I was hoping for something a little closer, but it is what it is. WSMR and Holloman AFB should not be an issue for me, I work for the Missile Defense Agency and we have "stuff" down there. But I don't think I'll be trying to go to either of those two places on this trip.
Weather for Cloudcroft next week has highs in the 50s and lows around freezing. That should put WSNP at high 60s maybe low 70s for highs. Pretty nice. Might get some wind.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Weather for Cloudcroft next week has highs in the 50s and lows around freezing. That should put WSNP at high 60s maybe low 70s for highs. Pretty nice. Might get some wind.
Thanks. I'll be pulling my OGT Expediton 2.0 trailer, so I'll have heat overnight.