Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aptos, California
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Hung
Member #

Similar to an earlier thread, we're heading to Death Valley later this month (first 4 days of spring break, 4/2~4/5), and I'm also wondering about suitable camping spots.

We will have one night of dispersed camping (got a Tepui RTT), and would like to be somewhere along the Hunter Mountain, Race Track loop - has anyone camped in that area, or know of a good spot there to do so? Rock outcrops would be ideal for some shelter from wind.

Thanks in advance!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
South of Tea Kettle junction there are some open spots. One very nice one about 2o minutes down the road before you go over a short hill. Sorry no waypoint. There is also a small camping area south of the Racetrack.

Reactions: WheelMe

Adventure-Farmer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

Look up this intersection on hunter mountain road:
36°34'42.7"N 117°28'44.9"W its about an hour and a half from the race track via tea kettle.
from here go north on the spur, then turn left, then left again to this spot,
36°34'46.6"N 117°29'59.7"W
if you look at it on google maps you will see spanish springs.

a nice sheltered camp spot that we really enjoyed.

WheelMe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aptos, California
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Hung
Member #

Initially I was planning to loop around the Race Track Valley, based on a route described in the FunTreks book; I then decided against it as it starts with Hunter Mountain, and I worry that there might be snow/ice near the peak (7,400 ft.). My current plan actually rounds the valley (and much more) clockwise - starting early in the morning from Lone Pine, I'll be taking SR-190 to the southern end of Saline Valley Rd., making a left there and up to Lippincott Rd., over which I'll cross into Race Track Valley. I'm hoping to arrive at the Race Track by 11 AM or so, and spending an hour there. This will be followed by a long slug up to Ubehebe Crater, and back down the other side via Scotty's Castle Rd., to Stovepipe Wells; a full day, no doubt, if even possible. I have no idea how fast I can travel on Race Track Rd. (full OME suspension system with 2.5" lift, on 32" or 33" mud tires), so if I run out of time, I'll camp somewhere just past the crater, near Grapevine or at the Mesquite Spring Campground.

Here's the full route, at 146 miles in length:

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/yNROrsxYVtNwpHES2Dj7MPxw

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

Initially I was planning to loop around the Race Track Valley, based on a route described in the FunTreks book; I then decided against it as it starts with Hunter Mountain, and I worry that there might be snow/ice near the peak (7,400 ft.). My current plan actually rounds the valley (and much more) clockwise - starting early in the morning from Lone Pine, I'll be taking SR-190 to the southern end of Saline Valley Rd., making a left there and up to Lippincott Rd., over which I'll cross into Race Track Valley. I'm hoping to arrive at the Race Track by 11 AM or so, and spending an hour there. This will be followed by a long slug up to Ubehebe Crater, and back down the other side via Scotty's Castle Rd., to Stovepipe Wells; a full day, no doubt, if even possible. I have no idea how fast I can travel on Race Track Rd. (full OME suspension system with 2.5" lift, on 32" or 33" mud tires), so if I run out of time, I'll camp somewhere just past the crater, near Grapevine or at the Mesquite Spring Campground.

That is a lot to do in one day. I started in Big Pine and went south and ended at Saline Valley and 190. That was a full day and I didn't stay at the Racetrack an hour. It's cool...but more than 15min and some pics and I was ready to go. I even walked out to the grandstand. I came down Lippencott Pass for a GREAT pucker factor. I HATE heights but there was no turning back but it takes time as you have to take it slow.

WheelMe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aptos, California
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Hung
Member #

That is a lot to do in one day. I started in Big Pine and went south and ended at Saline Valley and 190. That was a full day and I didn't stay at the Racetrack an hour. It's cool...but more than 15min and some pics and I was ready to go. I even walked out to the grandstand. I came down Lippencott Pass for a GREAT pucker factor. I HATE heights but there was no turning back but it takes time as you have to take it slow.
Thanks for the input. I'll probably be camping at Mesquite Spring then, which is fine.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

SW_UT_FJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hurricane, UT
First Name
Russ
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7HOS

I just drove that route in reverse a couple of weeks ago. Saline Valley is not a bad road, but gets progressively more washboarded and rough the closer you get to Lippencott Pass. Lippencott is a fun scenic drive with a few rocky parts where wheel placement is important.

The Racetrack road to Ubehebe is beat up. Washboards on top of washboards. It’s one of those roads where you have to go very slow...or speed up and smooth out the bumps. Myself and most others choose speed.

I had aired down to 22 psi earlier in the day and it made a huge difference. Oh yeah, I was driving an 2011 FJ with a front level kit, stock rear, and AT 285/70/17’s. I’m betting your OME kit will handle it like a Cadillac! Have a great trip.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

WheelMe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aptos, California
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Hung
Member #

Thanks for the description and suggestions - they really help. I'll post a report here after I get back.

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Was just there but stayed at Homestake. Good call seeking rocks or something to cut back the wind. It was crazy windy out there.

@SW_UT_FJ I got a damn near identical shot on Saturday morning :)

SW_UT_FJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hurricane, UT
First Name
Russ
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7HOS
Was just there but stayed at Homestake. Good call seeking rocks or something to cut back the wind. It was crazy windy out there.

@SW_UT_FJ I got a damn near identical shot on Saturday morning :)
Must be the cool kids shot...lol

The wind is crazy there, after trying unsuccessfully to get the tent to stay where we wanted, we gave in and “slept” in the back of the FJ. It helped me understand how those rocks on the Racetrack can move. Beautiful area and I hope to return soon!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

WheelMe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aptos, California
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Hung
Member #

Lol, I have a rooftop tent, and my truck might just tip over with the wind you're describing. Best off camping elsewhere!

Nice shots!

SW_UT_FJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hurricane, UT
First Name
Russ
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7HOS
Lol, I have a rooftop tent, and my truck might just tip over with the wind you're describing. Best off camping elsewhere!

Nice shots!
Thanks! I’m sure if you find a spot with some shelter you’ll have much better luck! I think with some stronger and longer tent pegs I could have made the tent work.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

Yes...DEFINITELY air down. I went down to 18psi and set my Icons to the softest setting. The washboard roads at some points were brutal and towards the end, kind of annoying. Didn't help I tweaked my alignment really bad on Lippincott so I was paranoid with lights on the dash on. It wasn't that windy when I was out there but was glad to have the hard shell as it soaked up the wind better at Alabama Hills where I stayed both nights.