Dirt Bikes: Anyone else throw one on/in the back?

• HTML tutorial

WYMANLAKE

Rank I

Contributor III

MASS
I want a dirtbike, but at 5 foot 5 and with a 30" inseam, there are no bikes small/lightweight enough for me that are also street legal.
Yamaha Xt 250 and Honda Crf250L are both set up for shorter riders.....They also sell lowering kits for most models

Reactions: Joey83

Hoss2500

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Tustin, southern california
First Name
MATT
Last Name
HURTADO
Member #

I am looking into that exact thing. I have too many bikes right now as it is though. I am looking for a XR650R. They are very reasonable now and I can find a super nice one that is plated.

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

This is my set-up. After going camping once without the moto and a nine mile "hike" I decided I never wanted to do that again. Once tent is deployed base camp is set. The moto is street legal so it allows me to run into town if needed or to just hit whatever trails I want that the 2wd full size won't do. If I know I am just running out for a weekend I might not tote the moto on that trip. Once I get around to either a truck camper or shell with pop-up sleep platform I will still be able to carry the moto, will just have to use an extension to allow door access.

IMG_0222.jpgIMG_0278.JPG

TNjohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Kingston, TN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Caudle
Member #

Yamaha Xt 250 and Honda Crf250L are both set up for shorter riders.....They also sell lowering kits for most models
Exactly. One of the road racers I used to crew chief for was about 5'6"(being generous) and he had no issues on his Yamaha WR250. We would ride trails during the off-season. Our engine builder rode a YZ250. I rode a DRZ400 but I'm 6' tall. lol

Things

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott Arizona
First Name
jeff
Last Name
mcallister
Member #

Normally have my XR 250 (street licensed) in the slot, I use this little SL70 when I am just on the cruise. Dog and I can sleep with either loaded inside rather nicely. Board spans across the back holds the front wheel, that way both doors open.

IMG_8667.JPG

IMG_8669.JPG

Reactions: TNjohn

TNjohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Kingston, TN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Caudle
Member #

I just purchased this to carry camping. I'll fabricate a hitch carrier for it. I can put little man's 4-wheeler in the back of the truck and this on a carrier for the truck or camping trailer if we use it.

Attachments

Reactions: Things

Things

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott Arizona
First Name
jeff
Last Name
mcallister
Member #

Nice to have a "escape" pod when traveling the more remote parts solo. Put some knobbys on my last scooter looked cool and sure help in the dirt.

Reactions: TNjohn

TNjohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Kingston, TN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Caudle
Member #

Nice to have a "escape" pod when traveling the more remote parts solo. Put some knobbys on my last scooter looked cool and sure help in the dirt.
This one is considered an "adventure scooter" so it has a bit more aggressive tires than a typical scooter but I will be putting some knobby tires on soon.

Reactions: Things

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I looked at the Honda CRF250L and even that is to tall for me and my short legs :( Maybe a Honda CRF125 will fit me..

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I have a Royal Enfield Himalayan that I played with the idea of loading on some type of rack on the back of Alice but just purchased a tow behind trailer in the end. I think when I do longer adventure trips where I can set up a basecamp it might make sense to take it, otherwise I just trailer the bike locally. Been thinking of getting an e-Bike though that seems more doable and they have been getting a lot better over the last couple years with speed, torque and battery life.