San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
I have been using the same style inclinometer my grandfather had in his bronco back in the 80's. Not sure how accurate these really are. I was thinking of upgrading to a digital version, but am unsure of a reliable brand. What types are you all using in your rigs, if any?

Attachments

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I have been using the same style inclinometer my grandfather had in his bronco back in the 80's. Not sure how accurate these really are. I was thinking of upgrading to a digital version, but am unsure of a reliable brand. What types are you all using in your rigs, if any?
I think it’d be neat to have one of those. My truck has the readout on the dash. I think it comes with the fx4 package. Not sure. But, not sure how accurate it is either.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
this is my inclinometer...not particularly accurate, but HIGHLY sensitive and its audible alarm signals an immediate end of the ride

View attachment 226151
Haha this is great. I just realized I generally have two with me. One passenger side. One back seat

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I had one of those ones with the steel ball back in the late 70s. I ended up tossing it. 15 years ago or so, I used one on my phone app, cute, noisy little monkey. I deleted it. The very last thing anyone should be looking at during extreme technical driving is their dashboard.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I had one of those ones with the steel ball back in the late 70s. I ended up tossing it. 15 years ago or so, I used one on my phone app, cute, noisy little monkey. I deleted it. The very last thing anyone should be looking at during extreme technical driving is their dashboard.
I tried an app for a very short time and found that this particular app drained the device's battery fast. I am also constantly bumping my phone/tablet which means the app is never zeroed correctly. My current truck has a built in inclinometer, from the factory, which is great and all but I never look at it in tense situations. Maybe the best inclinometer would retain a log of "extreme" angles with GPS coords for review afterwards.

Edit - Hmmm, sounds like a fun project! I already have a GPS connected ras pi running in the truck and a very accurate accelerometer just sitting here. Could merge those together to allow the ras pi to collect logs of angles and lat/lons and then post process said logs into a color coded KML. The KML would not only provide a track of my travels but would color code the track to show angles at a glance. Hmmmm.

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I tried an app for a very short time and found that this particular app drained the device's battery fast. I am also constantly bumping my phone/tablet which means the app is never zeroed correctly. My current truck has a built in inclinometer, from the factory, which is great and all but I never look at it in tense situations. Maybe the best inclinometer would retain a log of "extreme" angles with GPS coords for review afterwards.

Edit - Hmmm, sounds like a fun project! I already have a GPS connected ras pi running in the truck and a very accurate accelerometer just sitting here. Could merge those together to allow the ras pi to collect logs of angles and lat/lons and then post process said logs into a color coded KML. The KML would not only provide a track of my travels but would color code the track to show angles at a glance. Hmmmm.
Yikes! That’s one heck of a hobby you got there. Lost me with ras pi LOL !!

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@Ubiety and you will share that code :grinning: - it would fun a picture in picture with dashcam footage.

I use the old feels good must be ok system.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
@Ubiety and you will share that code :grinning: - it would fun a picture in picture with dashcam footage.

I use the old feels good must be ok system.
Agree with seat of the pants; I always try to figure out what the pilot is doing on commercial flights with my butt ;)
But instrumentation and colorful tracks on the map are cool too! ;) Sure, if you are interested I would share. I should have time to get to it in 2025? ;)

Reactions: rgallant

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
The accelerometer that I originally planned on using for my "vehicle tilt logger" did not work out. Received this one last night and am easily getting data out of it. Will post more info once I have something working in the truck. At the rate that life is going recently that should be in early 2025 ;)

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The old analog inclinometer is more accurate than anything digital can provide. The reason being the old school inclinometer is a pair of weighted disks suspended in liquid, and works off of gravity alone. Digital inclinometers use magnetic sensors to gather information of how lev the vehicle is. These sensors can be influenced by other magnetic fields, metal, and even types of terrain that have natural magnetic fields. The sensors then send data to an electronic device that has to calibrate said sensors, calibration makes the sensors less accurate in itself. To calibrate an analog inclinometer the device just needs to be set on a level table to get base adjustments, then when mounted in the vehicle on level ground you adjust the mounting base until everything meets the base adjustments. Yes more work, but 0% loss in efficiency.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Digital inclinometers use magnetic sensors to gather information of how lev the vehicle is. These sensors can be influenced by other magnetic fields, metal, and even types of terrain that have natural magnetic fields.
MEMS accelerometers are made from silicon and not subject to magnetic fields, etc. Just waved some strong magnets around my new accelerometer and it was not affected. Once calibrated they should not need to be calibrated again.