US West Death Valley SOLO 1/11-1/13

• HTML tutorial

Jaycee

Rank II

Enthusiast III

First trip to Death Valley ever and all I can say is it was life changing. I recently got into overlanding after purchase of my first 4x4 2018 4runner LMTD slightly modded to handle more than soccer mom duties as many refer to when you say you have a Limited. Anyhow I got a pass from the wife for my bday and I wasn't going to give it up even if it meant going SOLO.
Wanted to do the East to West route so I headed out from LA to Beatty, NV. Started in via Titus Canyon. This was pretty much a scenic route and pretty chill.
After, headed to Ubehebe Crater.

20190112_115911.jpg
After Ubehebe Crater it was onto Racetrack Playa. This is where the rugged trails starts. Some of the roughest washboard roads I've been on the kind that's trying to shake your car apart.
Teakettle Jct was the first waypoint along the way.

20190112_130320.jpg

20190112_130345.jpg

One word of advise for this stretch of road is AIR DOWN I was at 18 psi and it was still rough. The next stop will be Grandstand and its a crop of rocks in the middle of Racetrack.

20190112_133525.jpg

20190112_132224.jpg
20190112_132811.jpg

Up to this point was only harsh washboard roads. Now is where the life changing experience starts. Lippincott Road the sign read "NO TOW 4X4 HIGH CLEARANCE ONLY" right under it. May I remind you that I am new to this and this was my first 4x4 vehicle and I'm SOLO.
Once I enter this trail I already know this was not a good idea and I had made a terrible mistake but there was no turning back and I mean litterally you can't turn back. The whole trail is a steep downgrade of rocky rugged shelf road with sheer drop offs. The whole 1.5 hrs was white knuckle and prayers just thinking to myself wtf am I doing I have a wife and kid at home with another on the way, but the 4runner made it through it all and I don't think I bottomed out once. My biggest fear was ripping my tires on the jagged rocks. The sense of joy making it out without destroying my vehicle or worse getting disabled was absolutely exhilarating. I got down to Saline Valley and I was headed to my campsite Warm Springs. Arrived at Warm Springs a little before sunset and scouted out a campsite near the hot springs and bathroom and setup camp.

20190113_092946.jpg
20190113_092930.jpg

20190112_162853.jpg 20190112_161916.jpg 20190112_161939.jpg
I have to say that this place is an oasis in the middle of the desert. Almost a mirage with sand dunes on one side and dried lake beds on the other, from a distance you can see the lone crop of palm trees just magically there in the middle of it. Inside those palm trees are hotubs and you could tell it was built by hand and everything was hauled in by trucks just like mine. There were cute signs with little messages explaining the rules of the establishment. I want to warn you that clothing is optional here so please don't get caught with wandering eyes. But anyhow I didn't end up taking a dip until morning as I needed some food in my stomach and some rest from the days excitement. Next morning i took a loooong soak and met some really cool people. Ended up leaving that afternoon with the new friends I met in a convoy of 6 vehicles. It was a great trip and I highly reccomend visiting this place at least once in your life.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I'm in love with that place now. Have you done Lippincott Pass.
Never done Lippincott Pass, but I plan too this spring. You should check out Marble Canyon next time you visit DV, It’s an easy drive. You’ll have to hike to Marble Canyon, it’s pretty easy and not to far of a hike. The Canyon also has Petroglyphs.

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

Death Valley is a really special place, I’m glad you got to experience it. I’ve been there many times, and there is always something new to discover. I was out there solo last weekend, I spent Saturday holed up in the geologist cabin while it rained all day. Death Valley is my favorite place on earth.

Reactions: Jaycee

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Way to just do it! :)

Keep it up and you'll inevitably meet more overlanders from your area who will join you on trips. I tend to go out solo more than I should but those trips are becoming less frequent as I gain more off-roading friends.

Reactions: Jaycee

Jaycee

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Way to just do it! :)

Keep it up and you'll inevitably meet more overlanders from your area who will join you on trips. I tend to go out solo more than I should but those trips are becoming less frequent as I gain more off-roading friends.
Looking forward to making more like minded friends. But i have to say the rush of coming out the other end was pretty awesome.

Reactions: JCWages

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Looking forward to making more like minded friends. But i have to say the rush of coming out the other end was pretty awesome.
I bet!

Just remember to bring every piece of recovery gear possible and know how to use it. I know they do recovery classes up here and I'm willing to be they have them down south as well. Also keep the gas tank as full as possible and bring extra fuel even for shorter trips. I say this because I've been very lucky this past year but on Sunday my luck ran out. Me and a friend both got stuck in snow and we spent 8hrs trying to extract ourselves. 5 other rigs drove up to rescue us and ALL of them got stuck as well and it took hours to get most of us unstuck. I spent a total of 12hrs on the trail, 9 of which were spent digging or trying to stay warm in the truck. Thankfully both of us started with full tanks so we could have survived the night by keeping the rigs running and heater going. Traction boards and shovels didn't help us at all. A winch and/or a chainsaw and tall bottle jack may have gotten us out without the need to call for help. Ohh yeah, a satellite phone or Garmin InReach is a MUST have for solo excursions.

Don't be like us..... We started the trail at 1pm and got home at 2am soaking wet and freezing. The recovery team coming in from the other end of the trail got so stuck they had to leave 1 vehicle on the trail and still didn't get home until 5am.

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

Did you try the hand crank power setup to keep the lights on? Play darts? Read books?
I didn’t see a hand crank. The solar panel gave me about 40 minutes of light before the battery died on Friday night. About 20 minutes Saturday night after the dark rainy day. I mainly used my Coleman lantern. And yes, lots of reading!

Reactions: Sgt12XU

Jaycee

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I bet!

Just remember to bring every piece of recovery gear possible and know how to use it. I know they do recovery classes up here and I'm willing to be they have them down south as well. Also keep the gas tank as full as possible and bring extra fuel even for shorter trips. I say this because I've been very lucky this past year but on Sunday my luck ran out. Me and a friend both got stuck in snow and we spent 8hrs trying to extract ourselves. 5 other rigs drove up to rescue us and ALL of them got stuck as well and it took hours to get most of us unstuck. I spent a total of 12hrs on the trail, 9 of which were spent digging or trying to stay warm in the truck. Thankfully both of us started with full tanks so we could have survived the night by keeping the rigs running and heater going. Traction boards and shovels didn't help us at all. A winch and/or a chainsaw and tall bottle jack may have gotten us out without the need to call for help. Ohh yeah, a satellite phone or Garmin InReach is a MUST have for solo excursions.

Don't be like us..... We started the trail at 1pm and got home at 2am soaking wet and freezing. The recovery team coming in from the other end of the trail got so stuck they had to leave 1 vehicle on the trail and still didn't get home until 5am.
I've been building my recovery gear from the start. Most of the money I spent went to essentials before all the lighting and racks. Seems like all the little stuff adds up. But with every trip im learning what i need as apposed to what i want.

Reactions: JCWages