Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I'll be interested to hear how the wrench--and which one--works out on the LCI jugs. I'm setting up a dual jug arrangement for a movable sink (van to camp to work spot or wherever) and knowing which wrenches work well will be handy when folks ask.
You want the one I linked that looks like a spanner (C)

Reactions: Road

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Wish we could get the fuel cans.......
Are you reminding me that I have failed to produce after accepting the challenge, or or these just generic MFC lamentations?

Sorry, I'm keeping my search open but will admit that I have endeavored less than diligently to source the MFC at give away prices. I'll blame the wu-flu since it's the generic excuse for failure universally these days.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

You want the one I linked that looks like a spanner (C)
Thanks Bruce - I know that one works well.

The two I linked to in his earlier post, which he referred to in having bought one, are the ones I'm wondering about fit, as some folks say yeah, fit great, others say too tight on LCI jugs. One wrench has places to loosen and tighten all three spots on LCI and Scepter caps, and the other is from JAGMTE, which is made by the spout people you recommend.

If there is more than one good wrench that works well with my LCIs, and one fits all three openings, I'd like to be able to recommend that one, too.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Thanks Bruce - I know that one works well.

The two I linked to in his earlier post, which he referred to in having bought one, are the ones I'm wondering about fit, as some folks say yeah, fit great, others say too tight on LCI jugs. One wrench has places to loosen and tighten all three spots on LCI and Scepter caps, and the other is from JAGMTE, which is made by the spout people you recommend.

If there is more than one good wrench that works well with my LCIs, and one fits all three openings, I'd like to be able to recommend that one, too.
I got the wrench from Amazon and for mine the main cap portion is tight on LCI jugs, nothing a little “forcefullness“ and “break in” time will not solve. The spout/vent portions are either too small (spout) to fit or too loose (vent) - I believe in that order anyway. I’m not too worried about the spout/vent as pliers will work there. Have not tried it on the JAGMTE spout/cap. My main desire with the wrench was for the main (large) cap as I don’t travel with a giant ChannelLock, etc, tool. Don’t even think any of my ChannelLocks would fit on the cap anyway.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Are you reminding me that I have failed to produce after accepting the challenge, or or these just generic MFC lamentations?

Sorry, I'm keeping my search open but will admit that I have endeavored less than diligently to source the MFC at give away prices. I'll blame the wu-flu since it's the generic excuse for failure universally these days.
I'm hoping to run up into New Brunswick and maybe Quebec when border restrictions relax, and score a few Sceptre MFCs while there. Wish I could bring dozens back across, but that's frowned upon and I'm not into paying big fines or being accused of smuggling ;)

I have a couple of their Diesel Fuel Cans. While rugged in their own right and have served me well for years, they're not military rugged like their MFCs, which I'd rather have for adventuring.

For those interested in this version, you can grab them on amzn but often find better, or sale pricing, at local marine supply stores like West Marine. The ocean trawlers and lobstermen around here love these jugs. They'll come with frustrating spouts or what they call Smart Control spouts (designed to appeal to frustrated US safety spout users), though I usually get simple, inexpensive full flow spouts from GasSpout.com (only $9.95 right now and comes with an airflow cap to install at the back of the jug). Scepter sells high flow spouts, too, for their gas and diesel MFCs.

scepter-dieseljug_0387-900.jpg

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I got the wrench from Amazon and for mine the main cap portion is tight on LCI jugs, nothing a little “forcefullness“ and “break in” time will not solve. The spout/vent portions are either too small (spout) to fit or too loose (vent) - I believe in that order anyway. I’m not too worried about the spout/vent as pliers will work there. Have not tried it on the JAGMTE spout/cap. My main desire with the wrench was for the main (large) cap as I don’t travel with a giant ChannelLock, etc, tool. Don’t even think any of my ChannelLocks would fit on the cap anyway.
Interesting. Good info, thanks. I don't want to link to or recommend them for all jugs to do main cap, spout, and vent if they don't actually work on all caps. Appreciate your feedback.

Reactions: Ubiety

EXPO_D1

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Coyle
Member #

I'm hoping to run up into New Brunswick and maybe Quebec when border restrictions relax, and score a few Sceptre MFCs while there. Wish I could bring dozens back across, but that's frowned upon and I'm not into paying big fines or being accused of smuggling ;)

I have a couple of their Diesel Fuel Cans. While rugged in their own right and have served me well for years, they're not military rugged like their MFCs, which I'd rather have for adventuring.

For those interested in this version, you can grab them on amzn but often find better, or sale pricing, at local marine supply stores like West Marine. The ocean trawlers and lobstermen around here love these jugs. They'll come with frustrating spouts or what they call Smart Control spouts (designed to appeal to frustrated US safety spout users), though I usually get simple, inexpensive full flow spouts from GasSpout.com (only $9.95 right now and comes with an airflow cap to install at the back of the jug). Scepter sells high flow spouts, too, for their gas and diesel MFCs.

thats not a bad idea! i will have to do the same if i want new MFC

Reactions: Ubiety and Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

thats not a bad idea! i will have to do the same if i want new MFC
Long ways from Bakersfield to Vancouver, like 1200 miles or so! Canada for me is about 3.5 hrs away, at just over 200 miles. I'm itchy, actually, to get back up into the Maritime provinces.

Reactions: EXPO_D1

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

If you notice the Amazon seller is JAGMTE.

I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that the full circle wrenches fit MFC not MWC but I could be full of shit as I am frequently accused.

A strap wrench which can be locally sourced (Lowes,Home Despot,etc.)can be used with good results as well

Reactions: Road and Ubiety

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Long ways from Bakersfield to Vancouver, like 1200 miles or so! Canada for me is about 3.5 hrs away, at just over 200 miles. I'm itchy, actually, to get back up into the Maritime provinces.
How much are they in Canada? Are we looking for a deal here or just access to the products?

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

If you notice the Amazon seller is JAGMTE.

I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that the full circle wrenches fit MFC not MWC but I could be full of shit as I am frequently accused.

A strap wrench which can be locally sourced (Lowes,Home Despot,etc.)can be used with good results as well
Nah, I think you're good here.

As stated in another post, I have two Scepter MFC cans and one Ability One MWC (which I think may be identical to the LCI product). My wrench is from JAGMTE (full circle style) and fits the Scepters perfectly but will not work on the MWC - the tabs around the cap are completely different in design. I've found the caps on the MFC's need to be more than hand tight to prevent gas and/or vapors from escaping especially if they're exposed to direct sunlight. Water obviously isn't that sensitive to variations in temp so I can get by without any aid even when laying the can on it's side. Your suggestion for a strap wrench is a good one and I've had to use mine a time or two when the can was filled and sealed by an exuberant youth.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

How much are they in Canada? Are we looking for a deal here or just access to the products?
Prices vary as much there as here, depending on sales and where one looks, and deal or not would depend in part on the exchange rate when in Canada, which can make or break some deals.

I've seen them as high as $73.99CAN (currently $58.87 USD) from outfitter operations to much lower at farm and feed type places. I'd consult my pals at Adventure Trail Gear in NB (great folk, where I bought my Spare Tire Bag) before heading up, to see what they currently recommend for best places to purchase or when sales typically happen. Might even ask him to grab two for me when they do go on sale, then pick 'em up in person when I go up.

So hard to get in the states, I'd pay a bit more just to have two. There were some good used ones for sale out El Paso way a couple yrs ago, though I didn't want to pre-pay for them too far in advance, plans changing as they do.

You could order direct from Scepter Canada as recently as a few years ago for under $50ea, though they've stopped all that as far as I know. Shipping to US was crazy, too, at twenty some dollars apiece.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Ya'll don't need any of those cheapass fuel cans! THIS is what I would maybe LIKE to have, but...

Reactions: Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Nah, I think you're good here.

As stated in another post, I have two Scepter MFC cans and one Ability One MWC (which I think may be identical to the LCI product). My wrench is from JAGMTE (full circle style) and fits the Scepters perfectly but will not work on the MWC - the tabs around the cap are completely different in design. I've found the caps on the MFC's need to be more than hand tight to prevent gas and/or vapors from escaping especially if they're exposed to direct sunlight. Water obviously isn't that sensitive to variations in temp so I can get by without any aid even when laying the can on it's side. Your suggestion for a strap wrench is a good one and I've had to use mine a time or two when the can was filled and sealed by an exuberant youth.
Exactly.

I tested and experimented in depth with my LCI MWCs and leaking in 2017. Tried a bunch of right-sized o-rings and left jugs in various regular and 'accidental' positions overnight and in varying weather, etc. What I found is that MWCs don't really need gaskets or o-rings to prevent leaking. A good hand-tightening worked well, though because of weather changes, those caps can get pretty tight to remove.

I think folks have heard about MFCs leaking and assume MWCs will too, so add gaskets and o-rings when they're actually not needed. In fact, I found my LCI MWCs leaked when I added an o-ring to the fill opening, and that it often deformed the o-ring with repeated tightening when trying to prevent the leak. Without the o-ring, the leak did not happen.

And yep, the Ability One MWCs, as Bruce pointed out earlier, ARE the LCI jugs. Ability One is LCI's program that helps create careers for blind and disabled.

LCI-MWC-fill-lid-o-ring_9849-700.JPG
Not worth using, in my opinion, based on testing in a variety of situations.

LCI-MWC-o-ring-asst_9854-700.JPG
Here's the place I used, for those who want to experiment with o-rings on their own with MFCs or MWCs.

LCI-MWC-leaktest_9831-700.jpeg
Tested all sorts of oddball angles both with and without o-rings in MWCs.
I'm better off without o-rings, at least in my LCI water jugs, is what I found.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Ya'll don't need any of those cheapass fuel cans! THIS is what I would maybe LIKE to have, but...

I did not know for a long time that the three handled military style containers are always fuel, and the single handed are always water, so military can more easily distinguish and not confuse between the two in the rush of battle , darkness of night, or just around base when using. Though I don't know if that's the true origins or reason, it makes sense.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I did not know for a long time that the three handled military style containers are always fuel, and the single handed are always water, so military can more easily distinguish and not confuse between the two in the rush of battle , darkness of night, or just around base when using. Though I don't know if that's the true origins or reason, it makes sense.
Also why 2 different wrenches are required. Lowest common denominator and all that.

I was thinking about bumping this thread the other day , you'll doing a fine yob.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Also why 2 different wrenches are required. Lowest common denominator and all that.

I was thinking about bumping this thread the other day , you'll doing a fine yob.
Yep, exactly; different spacing/size on the fill cap tabs.

I haven't needed a wrench to undo my water jug caps yet, though can see the need in certain situations. I like the strap wrench idea, though.

As much as I'm a gadget geek, I like having tools that have more than one specific use, especially when packing for adventure. Like most things, they vary widely in price, too. The one linked to is only $12.99 and handles up to 6.3" (160mm) diameter. I just ordered one.

It's from Boeray, which has all sorts of products useful in adventuring, like air tools, riv-nuts, folding table brackets, aluminum hardware for extrusions, etc.

Strapwrench.png

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Yep, exactly; different spacing/size on the fill cap tabs.

I haven't needed a wrench to undo my water jug caps yet, though can see the need in certain situations. I like the strap wrench idea, though.

As much as I'm a gadget geek, I like having tools that have more than one specific use, especially when packing for adventure. Like most things, they vary widely in price, too. The one linked to is only $12.99 and handles up to 6.3" (160mm) diameter. I just ordered one.

It's from Boeray, which has all sorts of products useful in adventuring, like air tools, riv-nuts, folding table brackets, aluminum hardware for extrusions, etc.

View attachment 193401

For the record a serpentine fan belt can be effectively utilized as a strap wrench provided you don't want to use it for its original purpose ever again:)