Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

The last line under the 'Description' section for this item on the LCI website shows this to be an "AbilityOne Product". I'm not sure exactly what that means but I bought a MWC from Grainger a couple of years back that was stamped "AbilityOne" and "Property of US Government:". IIRC, the price was somewhere between $25 and $30 out the door. Good can and I have no complaints BUT it is not of the same quality as my Scepter MFC fuel cans. The molding seams have a fair amount of flash and the bottom is not as uniform. Grainger carries both AbilityOne and Scepter and this is a comparison link from the Grainger site. The comparison shows the construction material to be 'plastic' on the AbilityOne while the Scepter is listed as HDPE and there are some slight variances in the dimensions.

This is not a knock on the AbilityOne product; mine has stood up to a lot of abuse and the price found by the OP is certainly great. If I had it to do over, I'd make the same choice.
HDPE (high density polyethylene) is "plastic"
LCI is the manufacturer, "Ability One" is a program to employ the disabled.

In the following photos the LCI can is on the top or right (note HDPE material marking on the bottom of the LCI can) I don't have a scale handy but there is no perceptible weight difference or obvious variation in manufacturing quality. They are both manufactured to the same mil-spec and both has NSN numbers
0313211427_HDR.jpg0313211427a_HDR.jpg0313211427b_HDR.jpg0313211428_HDR.jpg0313211428a_HDR.jpg0313211429_HDR.jpg
ETA :the image is flipped in the next to last photo, the LCI is on the left, it is the darker green can in all of the images.

OverLamb24

Rank V

Advocate III

Spencerville, Maryland, United States
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Cordero
Member #

My 5 boxes came and the wife was like WTF did you buy now! Then I explained and she is all for it.
Think I am going to buy some tan ones also.

Now we got to find a killer deal on fuel cans....LOL

Jim
Challenge accepted!
British Atlantic has a 10% off sale going currently. Guess what i just bought 4 of?

Reactions: bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

British Atlantic has a 10% off sale going currently. Guess what i just bought 4 of?

I'm not seeing them, post a link to the page they are on please?

Reactions: Ubiety

OverLamb24

Rank V

Advocate III

Spencerville, Maryland, United States
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Cordero
Member #

I'm not seeing them, post a link to the page they are on please?
If you use their site search function just type jerry can, however i just checked and the sale may have just finished because the cost is back to their normal rate. Still good imo :(

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
My 5 boxes came and the wife was like WTF did you buy now! Then I explained and she is all for it.
Think I am going to buy some tan ones also.

Now we got to find a killer deal on fuel cans....LOL

Jim
A few years ago I ordered red Scepter cans from Canada. I think because I live in Arizona they shipped them to me even though other people said they weren't able to get them. They no longer ship anywhere in the States. :(

I did find three cans at the thrift store last year though. I paid $15 a piece for them. I did have to order new gaskets though. Keep looking they're out there.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV

Reactions: Shahn

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I did receive my cap wrench and spout but have not put them to use yet; they are in the "kitchen bin" for when they are needed. Gave one of the jugs a "trial run" last weekend and it worked well.

IMG_5647.jpeg

Reactions: Road

Mrprez

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4WMZ
I saw a video done by Lifestyle Overland where they had water containers like these and they had a battery operated faucet pump. They are $12 On Amazon. Looked pretty slick. https://amzn.to/39kcJs1

FindAReason

Rank 0

Traveler I

CA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Hale
I ordered two tan and two drab to have some for travel, some for prep.

They sent three tan and only one drab. When I sent an email to see what I needed to do they just decided to send another green one and told me to do whatever I wanted with the fifth (third tan) water can.

Not a bad deal.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I did receive my cap wrench and spout but have not put them to use yet; they are in the "kitchen bin" for when they are needed. Gave one of the jugs a "trial run" last weekend and it worked well.

View attachment 192695
I'll be interested to hear how the wrench--and which one--works out on the LCI jugs. I'm setting up a dual jug arrangement for a movable sink (van to camp to work spot or wherever) and knowing which wrenches work well will be handy when folks ask.

Reactions: bgenlvtex